What's new

Help HELP!! I need a Driver for Tomorrow!

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Yesterday my wife and I drove our two vans out to Narita and picked up a CMAT (Canadian Medical Assistance Teams) four person team and all their gear. We took them into Asakusa to the Sakura Hostel, they stayed overnight and then left early this morning to go to Ishinomaki in the devastated area to help out.
I just got an email from Canada, another 7 person team and gear is going to be at Narita tomorrow at 2:30PM.

I cannot go, I have to work.

My wife is going to drive one of our vans out to Narita and pick up either people or gear, maybe just the gear, and the people will have to make their way into Tokyo on the trains etc.

As I said, I cannot go, I just can't :eek:uch: but we do have another van, that if a driver could be found, could be taken out there.

So does anyone have most of the day off tomorrow who is willing to drive my van out to Narita and back? I imagine you would leave from Shinjuku around noon, and be back in Shinjuku by maybe 6PM depending on traffic...?

Here is an opportunity to help out with the relief effort up North, this CMAT team does really good work, making their travels easier is a great help.

email me on my cell stuintokyo AT gmailDOTcom or call me on my cell zero-9-zero-9six4six-5one8nine I'll be up until 1AM or so tonight, and up around 9 AM tomorrow.

If you can help out please do. You need to be over 30 and have a valid Japanese drivers license (our insurance is for over 30 drivers only)

Cheers!

Well it looks like Tim S. has stepped up and answered the call, thanks! :D

Stu, if you get any more of these type of requests, I'm quite near the airport and have room in the car for 3 (4 at a pinch) passengers. You can email me via my profile page here on TCC.

Stu, if you get any more of these type of requests, I'm quite near the airport and have room in the car for 3 (4 at a pinch) passengers. You can email me via my profile page here on TCC.

Thanks Phil, I'll keep you in mind!

Whew! Hey Stu - you're the man for getting these folks on the road. But , they need alot of help for logistics. If any TCC members could help on this it would be great. Essentially these NPO teams are here on a raft, so to speak, with not much to navigate by except for a 'following the glowing brick road'.

Whew! Hey Stu - you're the man for getting these folks on the road. But , they need alot of help for logistics. If any TCC members could help on this it would be great. Essentially these NPO teams are here on a raft, so to speak, with not much to navigate by except for a 'following the glowing brick road'.

Hey Tim, thanks for the help, it was great!

Today we had quite the fun morning :rolleyes: We got a phone call at 6 AM from the team, they needed gasoline for their generators. They bought plastic gas cans, ah, well kerosene cans, they did not know that these would be no good for gasoline. The gas stands will not fill them with gas, they had their bus ready to go to Ishinomaki, but no gas for the generators. Now I had two nice big 20L steel Jerry cans, I lent them to the 1st team, but they did not fill them before they left Tokyo, nor along the way to Ishinomaki, or maybe they could not get any gas, dunno. I had two steel gas cans, a lot more than most people have, but I now have none. OK how do we fill four 18L kerosene cans with gasoline, if we don't have a gas can, and the gas stand will not fill the plastic kerosene cans....? I siphoned gas from my truck is how, but the truck has a thing in it so you can not use a garden hose to siphon gas from it. I ended up using a small fuel line hose, that has an ID of about 1/4" :eek: Took a long time. Eventually I got my wife to come to us and bring her scooter, we took most of the gas from that, then I took the scooter home and I brought back my motorcycle, which has a 9L tank, I had already siphoned out the gas from it in the morning, so I filled it then emptied it, then filled it and emptied it again. Total they got 3 18L gas, ah.... kerosene cans full of gas. Bloody FlusterCuck all the way round. Next problem is they need to have the Water Purification Units (WPU) cleared through customs and then shipped up to Ishinomaki. There is a Japanese guy who is willing to drive the 300Kg of WPUs up there, but he needs the special seal, or sticker thing for his dashboard so he can get on the expressway and then buy gas along the way, this is proving to be a problem, as the CMAT has to request to the local police station for the permission, but they are not here in Tokyo, they are up in Ishinomaki......

Film at eleven..... :warau:

Back
Top Bottom