Help Finding A Home for Bikes

Oct 1, 2010
Fussa
All,

Weston, a CE contractor at Yokota AB, wants go get some bikes, fix them up, and give them to someone how needs them downtown (Tokyo).

Does anyone know who; daycare, wellfair office, orphanage, ect., that is in need of bikes?

Let me know and please pass the word.

V/R

RK

Apr 26, 2011
Tokyo
Hi Ryan,
there is an orphanage i have supported in the past called Kane no Naru Oka. The largest supporter and chairman of the orphanage/foundation is an orphan himself. I can vouch for this charitable organization. For details see attached link.
http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~c-bell/
They need and would welcome any donated bicycles, but cannot afford to pay for them or their transport to the orphanage (they are located in near Maebashi in Gunma). But we can work something out, if your friend is willing to provide the bikes.
Let me know.

Apr 26, 2011
Tokyo
Tim - Seeing mountains of abandoned bicylces in Japan one would assume that orphanages are flooded with bicycles...i shall contact you, would really like to help the orphanage.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
All,

Weston, a CE contractor at Yokota AB, wants go get some bikes, fix them up, and give them to someone how needs them downtown (Tokyo).

Does anyone know who; daycare, wellfair office, orphanage, ect., that is in need of bikes?

Let me know and please pass the word.

V/R

RK
Ryan, If you need bikes let me know! I work for British Airways Recreation Club and we are in the process of changing over some of the bikes at one of the hotels.

I think we will be switching out about 5 MTB's they need a little bit of work but they are yours if you want them.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Surprisingly, it's quite difficult to get those bikes. Since evry bike in Japan is required registration, then they must verify especially to NPO that none are lost or stolen. So - the mountains of abandoned bikes are in kind of limbo. If they are not claimed within a specific time - then the local govt might submit them for recyling. Otherwise - they have to sit in storage.

Recently Japan passed some laws to hasten this process of reclamation and /or re-use. But it still takes nearly an actg of the Prime Minister to get ownership of a 'lost' bike. Much the same as if you lose even an 250y umbrella - everything will go to storage until it's claimed.

Tim - Seeing mountains of abandoned bicylces in Japan one would assume that orphanages are flooded with bicycles...i shall contact you, would really like to help the orphanage.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Once when I had to bail out my son's bike (illegally parked near a station) in Yokohama, I asked the guys what happens to unclaimed bikes and they told me, if bikes aren't claimed (and a fee paid) within 4 weeks they end up being scrapped.

I suppose once it's a block of nondescript steel, there is no longer a question of who is the registered owner of the bike, so that's the easier path for them.