What's new

Help : Cycling routes around Fuji for this weekend

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
A small group of us are cycling up to Yamanaka-ko this weekend and staying two nights. If you could please help with anything on this, I'd be grateful -
  • On the way out (day 1), once we get past Takao, thinking of cycling out on the 517, then route 35 to the 139, 139, circle Lake Kawaguchi and then route 138 to Yamanakako. Route is here (map includes my return route for day 3). Anything wrong with this? Any better ideas/improvements to create an interesting route of 100km from Takao to Yamanankako?
  • For the middle day, any suggestions for routes circling Fuji, with interesting/less busy roads? One obvious idea is to incorporate the ride up to the fifth station, but looking for other ideas too/instead of.
Many thanks!

Rt139 between Tsuru and Fujiyoshida is a fairly busy road. Climbing it from Tsuru to Fujiyoshida means spending a lot of time side by side with lots of cars and trucks. It would be far better to save it for the return trip, as it's actually not bad when you're able to descend it as fast or faster (during end of weekend traffic) than the cars. It means you spend minimal time next to those cars and at minimal speed difference.

So I would ride out via Rt413 (Doshi michi) and return via Rt139 / Rt35 (which is fun once you climbed from Tsuru beyond the Maglev test track to Akiyama). Alternatively you could head out via Rt35 to Tsuru but then cross over to Doshi via Rt24 (see my BRM413 route), but that would be something of a scenic detour -- more climbing and distance!

For circling Fuji, Rt71 is not bad as it doesn't have much traffic, just dairy farms, trees and villages. You might even find the odd ice cream place.

Overlooking Lake Motosu, near the highest point of Rt71:
IMG_5111.JPG

On the far west of Mt Fuji:
IMG_5110.JPG

I don't have any experience on Rt469 on the south side of Fuji, as I've always followed the coastal route there.

Hi Joe,
many thanks for the advice. Very useful - especially traffic and Rt 71 for getting round west side of Fuji. Might also see if there is a quiet alternative to 139

To the south of Fuji it looks like there is a "Mt Fuji Skyline" road, made up of the 180 and 152 - Good to hear from anyone else if they've cycled that, please

Hey, @macrophotofly, I'm thinking about doing this route this weekend. Would be nice if anyone who knows the road joins me, but even alone I'm deteremined to do it anyway.
So, the question is, how was it? Any corrections to the route posted above?

If you loop Fuji, or find youself going on farside of lake Kawaguchi, recommend having lunch at a small italian restaraunt called Provence (0555 82 2780). Its my family's favorite Italian restaurant for pasta, pizza and salads. I go for their pastas, but my wife thinks their dressing for ceaser salad is the best she's had in Japan... Prices are reasonable and there's patio dining facing the lake. Feels like lunch on Lake Como.

If you loop Fuji, or find youself going on farside of lake Kawaguchi, recommend having lunch at a small italian restaraunt called Provence (0555 82 2780). Its my family's favorite Italian restaurant for pasta, pizza and salads. I go for their pastas, but my wife thinks their dressing for ceaser salad is the best she's had in Japan... Prices are reasonable and there's patio dining facing the lake. Feels like lunch on Lake Como.
Thanks a lot, I put it on my tomorrow's list!

UPD: Can you provide more precise coordinates/landmarks? Googling returns nothing.

I did the Mt. Fuji Skyline Road last week for the first time. Fujinomiya 5th Stage at 2,400 meters. Highly recommend if the weather is good. It has a decent road surface and the gradient is not as tough as the Azami Line.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/369882525

View attachment 326 View attachment 325
I will try to climb the highway up to Mt. Fuji in the end of November.
All I know is the toll road(Rt707, 富士山有料道路) for riding up to Fuji Subaru Line 5th Station(富士五合目).
This road is well-known for Mt.Fuji Hill Climb http://www.fujihc.jp/english.html
Your Garmin traces showed the other ways up to Mt.Fuji.
Are Rt152 and Rt150 free and good to ride during November and December?

The Suburu Line toll for bicycles is 200 Yen. It is a steady 5% climb to the top at 2200 m. There are shops and restaurants there but they may be closed as November is well outside of climbing season.
The Fuji Skyline route from Fuji City on the south side (route 152) is a little steeper in places. It offers the chance to ride from sea level to 2,400m, with only a short downhill. There is a restaurant at the top; again it might be closed.
The Azami Line (route 150) is extremely steep. It is the Mt. Fuji International Hillclimb course. There are sustained (1+km long) gradients of 18% with steep sections at 22%, climbing to 2000m. The cafe at the top will be closed in November and there is no shelter. I would only recommend the Azami line for very strong riders with top-level descending skills.
All three routes get to significant elevation and the upper sections will be cold or very cold in the timeframe you are talking about. You will likely need a full set of warm, dry, windproof clothes for the descent. There is a possibility that all three routes will be impassible due to snow at that time of year.

AW.

Ah, this is the just the thread I was looking for! A couple of us Navy guys are looking to ride around Fuji before deploying. We will take an early train out to Gotenba, take 138 north, 139 west, and then 71 south to 72 to 469 and then back to Gotenba. Any advice and thoughts on this would be great. Honestly, I am just looking at the map and trying to be logical. We prefer quiet roads to busy roads, so we may rethink the highways.

We would also be glad to open this ride up to any folks out there, but I am not sure on the predictability of timing (ie: when we can meet up.) We deploy next week and want to uncork a nice ride before heading out. . .

NavyRoller - I do the loop clockwise from Gotemba. The east side of Fuji (north of Gotemba on 138) has fair amount of traffic and I prefer going predominately downhill vs uphill on that section of 138. From Gotemba I do 469, 72, 71, then drop onto 139 (right above Kawaguchiko). I then drop downhill and take the north side of Kawaguchiko (139 gets crowded here and it much nicer on north side of lake). As you get on on north side of lake, highly recommend lunch at a small italian restaraunt called Provence (0555 82 2780). More details in post above, but one of my favorite long ride lunch spots in Japan. Continue east on north side of lake and make a call to keep looping or make an attempt to climb Fuji. If feeling strong, recommend going up Subaru line (to go to 5th station). As Alan says, there's a 200yen toll, but the roads are generally in good condition and the climb is scenic and gentle (about 5-6% for 24km). Ripping down hill for 24km is great fun and its easy to drop back onto 138, continue to Yamanakako and then back to Gotemba. If you add the Fuji climb, this route is about 169 km with 2920m of climbing... If you don't opt for the big climb, you're looking at about 115km and 1600m of climbing...
Have a great ride...

I am looking for someone to ride around the mt fuji,around the 22/23/24 of may..any one fancy joining me?

Back
Top Bottom