Helmet recommendation?

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I finally had to retire my Limar 'Worlds Lightest Helmet'. It was aging and developed a couple of bounce induced cracks. I have a couple other brain buckets to tide me until I find another. I was given a new Redimos but returned it as one of the most ill fitting helmets I've ever worn. My head tends to be more oval than round. If you could get the best helmet ever - light, crash resistance and cooling, what would it be? And, yeah, fits oval heads.

leicaman

Maximum Pace
Sep 20, 2012
Asakadai, Saitama
Most comfortable helmet I've ever tried was the Kask vertigo. Was over double the price of the Kask K50 though (which Is almost as comfortable) so I settled for the K50. Not sure what shape my head is but most helmets hurt me about one or two inches above my forehead.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I think it's really hard to get a good recommendation for helmet fit. Other parameters, like weight, cooling and protection are more generically valid, but with fit it's like with shoes: there's no real substitute for walking into a shop and trying on lots of them.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
For me Giro helmets - I was a private user that paid full price for them even before they sponsored me, I have the same sort of shaped head so they should fit.

Also LAS fit oval shaped heads as well.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Both KASK and GIRO are on my 'inspect' list. I'm a bit drawn to the new KASK TRI/TT semi-closed helmet as well. Winter will soon be upon us and I've never had too many issues with overheating. I'm still looking at the LIMAR - but this year in France I felt almost 'naked' wearing it - I'd really prefer something a little more substantial especially at higher potential contact speeds - even if I know it doesn't make that much difference..

stanc

Maximum Pace
Sep 4, 2011
Brighton
Bell dont fit my head at all. I'm currently using a Carerra Radius which I have found very good. Before this year I had a Rudy Project Sterling which was the best insect catcher I have ever had. Also the pads fell apart very quickly and I couldnt source replacements.

trad

Maximum Pace
Dec 4, 2006
Tokyo
Oval head and giro user here as well. if you go Giro, they now build for a few headshapes. Their Atmos line is more for rounder heads, and Ionos is for more of their traditional oval heads. Not knowing this, I bought Atmos.

stanc

Maximum Pace
Sep 4, 2011
Brighton
. . . . Maybe pining a bit for my old Brancale.
Brancale, thats a name I havent heard for a while. My first helmet was one of theirs.
proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fencrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcRHjPwR5K3TYCQ01FKu_bLuXxr85VMnTnFdRIQR_9qNmTIKH3w&hash=feecd777269018fe1fa3cc39c7a214a5

The ventilation didnt work at all but it saved me when my from wheel got caught & I ended up with severe concussion. Lord knows what would have happened if I hadnt been wearing it.

May 30, 2013
Most comfortable helmet I've ever tried was the Kask vertigo. Was over double the price of the Kask K50 though (which Is almost as comfortable) so I settled for the K50. Not sure what shape my head is but most helmets hurt me about one or two inches above my forehead.
+1 Kask Vertigo
Light/Good Adjustment/Decent Ventilation/Nice Quality/Good Range Colours

bawbag

Maximum Pace
Mar 20, 2013
Tokyo
I've got the Giro Atmos. The rotary control on the back makes adjustment a breeze. Took a while to get the straps in a comfortable position, but since then it's been great.