What's new

Hello - where's the best place to live in central Tokyo for cyclist ?

bikemario

Warming-Up
Aug 6, 2014
Hi all!. Possible move to Tokyo area. Seeking advice on the best places to live within metro Tokyo that enables both weekday training rides and access to weekend long rides. Family friendly is important and easy access to kudanshita area. Appreciate any suggestions!

Hello Mario. What kind of training do you want to do on weekdays, and what kind of riding do you want to do at weekends?

I would like to be able to do about 25 - 40km mornings...A loop ride is fine 5km plus. Weekends, looking for something longer. Key though is finding a course where you can ride relatively continuously without the constant stop and go for lights.

Den-en toshi line, Futago tamagawa. Right on tamagawa cycling path, and straight commute to kudanshita.

More central would be Sangenjyaya or Komazawa Daigaku.

Sent from my SO-03D using Tapatalk

Get yourself halfway between Futakotamogawa on the denentoshi line and seijogakoen-mae on the Odakyu line. You'll be an easy train ride to Kudanshita on the Denentoshi, an easy train ride out of the area on the Odakyu, and right next to the pool and park in kinuta koen if you want to include swimming or running with your cycling. The tamagawa cycle path is nice on weekdays, a bit busy on weekends.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will check it out! Grant asked flat or hills. I guess answer is both. I like climbing but it's good to have some falter bits for power intervals. Pool yes! Triathlon training is in scope for me.

The pool at Kinuta Park is a 50-metre so good for training. If you are close to the Tamagawa (like at Futakotamagawa or slightly more upstream) you could also ride a number of small hills that are just across the river within a 40 km loop quite easily. The Tamagawa mixed-use path is not a good place for interval training though. Too narrow and crowded with old aged pensioners and all sorts. The Arakawa is much better suited to bombing all-out on the flat.

Last edited:
My method is morning training - home, shower then ride my scooter to work(22min to Shinjuku area). I live up in Nerima which is right near a very nice morning training loop around a lake Saiko in the Wako area on Arakawa (full loop is 12km- No cars at all)
Very convenient for the north bound weekend rides out to the mountains via Arakawa which means that my riding is probably 95% traffic and light free.

Not so many hills around me, certainly not the options that are around Yomiuriland, but I ride in car/ traffic light free areas and that is preferable I think.

Also, while the Tamagawa mixed-use path doesn't really offer the space needed for riding fast, it does give a mostly traffic-free route into mountains to the West of Tokyo, as the Arakawa offers a mostly traffic-free route into the mountains to the North-West. TCC group rides do mainly start from the Arakawa though.

If you want good access to both the Arakawa and Kudanshita somewhere in Bunkyo-ku might be good for you. Hakusan, Sengoku and Honkomagome are about a 20 minute ride from both.

Chofu is close to Tamagawa, Yomiuriland and Tama hills area. And direct line to Kudanshita!!

Back
Top Bottom