What's new

Hello, New to Biking.

Nsylver

Warming-Up
Mar 20, 2012
Hello, I am from the USA (Florida), however starting this weekend I will be starting a four year program of study at Ritsumeikan APU down in Oita, Beppu-shi. I am 6' and currently at 232 lbs (two weeks ago I was at 244, I've been cycling with my dad back at home). SCUBA and kendo are my tools of trade (I'll be on the university's kendo team), but I found a great interest in cycling. However, I know next to nothing about road biking. Therefore I was hoping someone would be generous enough to point me in the right direction. I realize that I'll want to get "fit" for the right size bike, etc (I used to mountain bike as a kid), but the challenge for me is finding a bike on a college student's budget. I won't be "racing" for awhile, but I do need something that will get me up the hill and back to the Uni, and I am looking for a road bike. The views in Miami are OK from the saddle, but I'm sure they will be even better in Japan :).

Sorry for rambling, so here's the long story short: I am looking for a road bike on a budget (not the best situation I know). I am also open to any thoughts, reccommendations, etc. I believe in keeping an open mind and welcome constructive criticism. I biked 35 miles the other day with my father at 19-20 mph average? Currently 21 yrs old.

Sincerely,
Nick Sylver

Edit: I would love to think something like this would work.
However, I only know the kana syllabries currently :(.

http://rinya-bun.com/progressive/11rrx263.html

Welcome to the group Nick!

A bike fit is a good idea for sure, then you will know where you are, but I would imagine you will need a frame that is on the upper range of what you will easily find here in Japan. I'm about the same height as you and I fit a 58cm steel frame.

I'm sorry I have no idea about shops etc down there in Kyshu, but maybe you can look around for a group down there too?

Cheers!

Welcome to the group Nick!

A bike fit is a good idea for sure, then you will know where you are, but I would imagine you will need a frame that is on the upper range of what you will easily find here in Japan. I'm about the same height as you and I fit a 58cm steel frame.

I'm sorry I have no idea about shops etc down there in Kyshu, but maybe you can look around for a group down there too?

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply, my limit on spending is roughly $500 USD; Unfortunately I know that is too low according to the poking around I have done; Apparently I need to be at around 75k yen for an entry level road bike? I'm not looking for the best entry level ride around, I'll upgrade later if I need to. Are there any good shops around that can ship down to Kyushu?

Thanks for the reply, my limit on spending is roughly $500 USD; Unfortunately I know that is too low according to the poking around I have done; Apparently I need to be at around 75k yen for an entry level road bike? I'm not looking for the best entry level ride around, I'll upgrade later if I need to. Are there any good shops around that can ship down to Kyushu?

Your budget is on the low side, but this time of year there are lots of shops that are selling last year's models are a great price, but again, you are going to find most of those frames in the smaller sizes.

Wiggle.co.uk ships bikes to Japan on the cheap, I got one shipped here for a total of 12,000 yen, so check out their selection.

EDIT: Whelp, taking my golf clubs over to the local shop to see if they will buy them (haven't played in 2 years), that will help bring up my budget at least. I won't be purchasing anything until I get a fit at the local shop in Oita. I do spend a night at the Narita Hilton before my flight down to Fukuoka, but I doubt anything will be happening by the time I get through immigration (land at Nartia on March 26 @ 4;50 PM).

I hope you can increase your budget a bit, that would really open up a lot more possibilities for your future ride :D Sad to say that $500 American is not worth what it once was, I think it works out to about 42,000 yen right now :eek:

Don't forget you are going to need a lock, and lights just to get on the road, plus some other sundries.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tips, it will seem I'll have to increase my budget a bit.

EDIT: Would It be better on a budget to buy a frame, and then scrounge for components? I've never built a bike up from scratch, but I'm up for a challenge.

DOUBLE EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-frame-...80564430924?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item4152f1784c

for example, something like that. I'll talk to my lbs before hand, but could buying a frame cheap and then the component, half assembling/bringing it to my lbs bring down the price at all?

Thanks for the tips, it will seem I'll have to increase my budget a bit.

EDIT: Would It be better on a budget to buy a frame, and then scrounge for components? I've never built a bike up from scratch, but I'm up for a challenge.

DOUBLE EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Road-frame-...80564430924?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item4152f1784c

for example, something like that. I'll talk to my lbs before hand, but could buying a frame cheap and then the component, half assembling/bringing it to my lbs bring down the price at all?

It can be cheap, and you can certainly end up with a bike that is just what you want, >> this <<is what I did to build my "Long Ride Road Bike" or Lrrb as I call it.

I'm liking it for sure, and building up your own bike really does make it your own. If you get a modern frame that uses the modern brakes, then buying the whole group set might be the way to go.

Might be cheaper to bring a frame and bits with you, you'll get more for your dollar in the states, check out the airline policy on shipping frames as luggage.

Unfortunately, I'll have to ship stuff to Japan, fortunately the frame make is in Taiwan. University only allows one carry on and a suitcase. Once I arrive and find my shipping address, I can ship all I want.

If I were to bring the frame fork, stem, seat, and drop bar +wheels, do you think the shop would assemble to bike for an extra few of course if I buy a Shimano Sora group set from them? I would choose that option so that nothing is messed up :(, and I can watch them assemble the build.

Back
Top Bottom