What's new

Hello. I'm a MTBer.

FlatPeach

Warming-Up
Jun 16, 2014
My name is P'An-Tau. I'm from Adelaide, South Australia and am an avid MTBer. I am an active committee member and the registration and timing coordinator for the local MTB club in Adelaide - Adelaide MTB Club.
Why am I here? I'm heading to Japan for 4 weeks - 22 Jan to 22 Feb - and starting out with 2 weeks of skiing. After that, I have no plans, but I would be very interested in romping around the countryside on my MTB.

So, is it worth bringing my MTB over with me? Is the weather suitable for MTBing? What is Japan like for getting around with a bike - i.e. on trains/buses/etc.?

I'm experienced with travelling domestically with my bike for races, so I'm familiar with putting my bike in a box, etc. if it's required.

Be good to hear of anyone's experiences, local knowledge and tips.

Cheers,

PT

Hey welcome the weather is suitable but most mountains will be covered with silky white stuff. leave the bike behind and spend another week skiing and then take in some of the less touristy bits of Japan. But I live in snow country, maybe those further south have other opinions.

If it was going to happen I'd definitely be heading south. The feeling I get is that I may be better off playing in the snow for my whole trip and then returning in summer for cycling activities (this is the plan for Canada in a few years - 2 x 4 week trips, 1x snow sports, 1x MTBing). In saying that, from what I've been reading, Japan sounds quite cycling friendly, so maybe I could cope with the south for cycling.......

Unfortunately he doesn't speak a lick of English.

I'm sure we could communicate through the universal MTBers language of "whoops!", "braaappppsss!" and "YEAH!".......

I'll be employing a friend to give me some basic lessons in Japanese later this year, so I'll probably be able to get her to act as a translator for a few emails.

I'm never to fussed about rain and wet riding, and I'm a little curious about the idea of riding in some snow as well. Might be time to just suck it up and book that extra baggage allowance for my bike........

He actually can speak more English than I let on. If you're interested it might be worth it to send him an email.
His tours are, however, exactly that; tours. If you want to do more extreme riding you're probably better off going it alone.

Sounds worth it. Even if he can just point to a spot on a map, I'm happy to explore! Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom