What's new

Hello from Yokohama

the_don

Cruising
May 25, 2008
Hi, I moved down from Tokyo a year ago and pretty much stopped riding as I hadn't found any nice places to ride (live in Minato Mirai).

But I have had enough! And am hoping there are others here around me that know of good riding routes. I like rolling hills and hate traffic lights.

On the rides I have done so far, there seems to be about 20km of non-stop traffic lights and junctions, which has put me off riding and searching pastures further afield.

Can anyone help?

The lights exist no matter what... however there are plenty of nice routes. you just have to get 'out' of the city a bit.

Attached is a loop I do with a couple buddies on Saturday Mornings. We leave early, so we deal with almost no traffic for the first 75% of the ride.

Once you get to the beach, there are options to add another 50K to the ride fairly easy.

Attachments

• Loop.gpx
    176.3 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, I guess I was spoilt where I was living in Tokyo. What's it like around the Yokosuka area? It looks like it might be a bit less urban sprawl'ish down there.

I will have to see if I can join you guys for one of those Saturday morning rides though.

Last edited:
+1 for the Miura peninsula ride. Leave early to avoid the traffic. I do this several times in the winter months.
There's a ferry from Kurihama to Boso peninsula (40 minutes) which opens up a new area for you.

I would like to go out to the mountains and do some rides, drove to Hakone and found some really nice roads with lots of bikers on them.

I don't have a car, but am a member of Times Plus Car Share, so can easily and pretty cheaply get a car, just not quite worth it alone.

Do most people ride trains?

I take the train often.
You can actually ride to yabitsu pass. It makes a long day, but doable.

Will you go for a ride this Saturday? I have been on the trainer recently, so hopefully not too slow.

Do most people ride trains?

A lot of people combine cycling with trains (with a rinko bag). Going by train as opposed to by car you don't have to worry about where to park and how much that costs.

Personally, I avoid trains as much as possible and ride all the way, though sometimes I use a train for the return trip if otherwise it would get too late in the day (or night). Driving or taking a train to a place only 30-40 km away to cycle feels like driving to the gym. I mean, why sit in a vehicle if you can get exercise from the minute you leave home? I typically only take the car for rides that start more than 100 km from Tokyo or too early to get there using the earliest train. If it takes 2 hours to get there by train and three hours by bicycle, I'll take the bicycle.

I've done Miura peninsula from Tokyo, Yabitsu as well. I'll probably head down to Miura again in December. Yokohama to Yokosuka is not my favourite part because of the number of traffic lights, but it's still good exercise.

Loads of great riding out of Yokohama, would actually say nicer than coming out of Tokyo in to the hills!

I would volunteer to take you out and show you around, however right now I'm mid Cyclocross season - once I start my long slow distance and pace training I will start to post some rides for you to tag along on.

I'm about 15 minutes away from you on the bike.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to it! I will have to start riding the trainer more often to get my fitness up.

This upcoming Saturday I am planning to do a 30 mile ride with a couple buddies.
Rolling pace will hover around 30/32kph with a stop somewhere in the middle to enjoy the Fuji view and sometimes a quick bite at a combini for those that did not get up early enough for breakfast.
Not a serious ride - but more a good morning social event that prevents us from being too stupid the night before.
If interested, let me know and we can coordinate the best place to meet up.

Hi, I would like to but I somehow managed to get myself signed up for a team 4 hour endurance race this Saturday in Saitama. It is called the Y's Cup. Not quite sure if I will be able to keep a high speed going for 4 hours solid! Going to have to put in some extra time on my trainer this week!

Not sure how to get there yet, not too keen on renting a car just to drive there.

Does anyone have a bike bag I can borrow?

There is a MontBell in MarkIs right by you.
They have a pretty good Rinko Bag for 7000Y.
I prefer it over the Tioga bag and several others I have seen.

Enjoy the endurance ride! I am sure it will be a good time no matter what!

MontBell [has] a pretty good Rinko Bag for 7000Y.
Be sure to get the one-wheel-off "Quick Carry" rather than the two-wheels-off "Compact Carry" version!

Absolutely Mike!!!
Good follow up, I forget they have the other option.

Ok thanks! Actually I saw a decent bike bag in rcycle in Kannai. (It is the just remove the front wheel variety) Used in good condition for ¥2000. I am just trying to be cheap!!!

Looks like I should go buy it tonight after work.

The tioga bag I hate is a 'just remove the front wheel style' as well.
The Montbell goes over the bike, it takes but a minute to put on the bike.
The Tioga is more of a shove the bike into it and reposition/adjust/retry/cuss/reposition/get mad/try to zip it/adjust/cuss/etc... break the zipper.
That said I have a 59cm bike and it just doesn't work.
My wife has a 52 with 26inch wheels and it is still a PIA.

I know about the Tioga bag, I had one for my downhill bike a few years ago. There wasn't a hope in hell that it would fit.

I didn't recognize the brand of this bag I saw, it has a pocket for the front wheel and looks pretty big. I sized it compared to one of the bikes in the shop and looks like it'll for good and was made of pretty heavy duty material and a solid zipper.

Not looking forward to taking the train though, I'm sure it'll be a lot easier with a road bike and not a downhill bike (with the body armour and everything else required).

Back
Top Bottom