What's new

Hello from Toronto

Velo49

Warming-Up
Jan 12, 2015
Hi everyone,

My name is Iven and currently reside in Toronto and will be visiting Japan very often in 2015.

I started cycling since 2000 after my first born and realized that I should quit smoking and look after myself and family more. I now commute to work 20k year round and weekend club ride 60-100k (during the summer).

My children are moving back to Japan for school this year and eventually I will be moving to Japan in late 2015. I have zero understanding about cycling around the family home area and hopefully I can connect with some members here for help. My Japanese is very limited, the closest JR station is Tsudanuma in Chiba and we are in the middle of LaLaport and Makuhari Messe.

Tomorrow is -20c in Toronto, looking forward to some nice year round road riding in Japan.

Iven
Lynskey Helix OS, Salsa el mariachi SS

Welcome, Velo49!

Commuting year round in Toronto is pretty hard core. Out of curiosity, do you have a personal temperature limit below which you do not commute? Even with technical clothing, at some point you would have to worry about body parts turning black and falling off!

Anyway, you will find winters near Tokyo much more reasonable!

Hi Joewein,

-15 to -20c (with wind chill factor) is my limit. Anything colder than that will require lots of layering and huge investment into expedition level technical clothing which is not very suitable for cycling.

I look forward cycling in Tokyo !

Any suggested route near Funabashi/Narashino will be a great help.

Welcome Velo49.
-15 to -20 is pretty damn hardcore. In glad it gets nothing like that here. Hope to ride with you soon (although Chiba is pretty far from Saitama ;) ).

Hi Iven,
I'm not that far from you in Ichikawa. Have a look on the TCC group on Strava for an idea of where people usually ride and keep you eyes peeled for group rides posted on here.
I will be heading out to the Edogawa river tomorrow if you're free.

I used to live in that area. From Narashino you have easy access to the Hanamigawa cycling road which you can follow up to the Tonegawa cycling road. You can follow the Tonegawa River pretty much as far as you dare. You can also connect it to the Edogawa River for a monster loop.
Here's my old route up the Hanamigawa River...

Bloody hell, minus twenty? Colder than a witch's tit, that.
You're well placed for some scenic Boso routes - some riders on here often ride around that area. You're also 19km from the mouth of the Edogawa, along which runs a (regularly busy) cycle path if you fancy grinding up and down at a fair tempo - good for training, but not the most exciting thing in the world to do.

Hey Ivan also from Canada (Vancouver) and also very close to where you'll be in Japan.

Gimme a shout whenever if you're up for local training rides.

I also live between tsudanuma and lalaport. Let me know if you have any questions about the area. The hanamigawa cycle road is good. Also, you can buy a bag for your bike here and then take it just about anywhere in japan on the train. A great way to give you a lot more variety. All the rivers in and around Tokyo have cycling roads.

Back
Top Bottom