What's new

Hello From Tokyo

Nickeleye

Cruising
Jul 12, 2019
Hello from Tokyo. Originally from California, but living in Tokyo (Shinagawa) due to work in Yokohama.
Sold my last bike before moving here, but recently had a new bike shipped over and looking to start riding soon.
I'm not really familiar with routes and traffic rules in Japan besides what I've noticed walking around so any advice is appreciated.

Welcome @Nickeleye
some people here are from your area (incl. Kawasaki and Yokohama). I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

As for riding in Japan (vs. riding in the center/north of Europe), I always rode with the awareness that motorists are might not aware or used to (or happy about) cyclists on the road.
Other than that, I followed some basic principles as I'd anywhere where I ride my bike:
where a helmet
be ready to hit the brakes
be visible (lights, clothing)
be clear (indications)
leave some room between you and the side of the road (appx. 0.5m or more if possible)
follow the rules (but don't rely on others to do so)

Enjoy riding.

@pedalist , thank you for your advice.

Who knows, maybe I will meet these riders from Kawasaki or Yokohama someday. Both are relatively nearby!

Your views from Europe mirror mine from Southern California closely. However, I have a feeling the Europeans are far more tolerant of cyclists than the average driver in the US (cyclists are almost always seen as a "pest" there). Needless to say, I feel I've become relatively "hardened" (or scarred?) over the years about how others treat cyclists. As a result, I feel my previous experience could translate here no problem.

As for your list of recommendations, I see no problems except "follow the rules" since I don't know the Japanese traffic rules at all (other than general observation). So, I am trying to do some research.

Thanks again!

Welcome to Tokyo

I used to commute 20km each way from Nerima ward to Shinagawa station for a few years.

Shinagawa has the best bicycle parking infrastructure in all of Tokyo and has a(fairly)clear station in terms of bikes everywhere.

That being said Shinagawa has some nice canals, the old Tokkaido Road (Shinagawa-juku), some quite streets and small climbs around Hara Museum & Takanawa & a good place to explore.

It can be a bit busy on the main roads but common sense and the usual safety precautions go a long way. Also bear in mind when to get off the toad to use the footpath.

The Meguro river has a route next to it up to Nakameguro and Tama River goes up to Ome.

Enjoy TOKYO and see you on the road.

Back
Top Bottom