What's new

Hello from Tochigi!

kyoazu

Maximum Pace
Nov 5, 2014
Hello everyone! I moved to Utsunomiya in Tochigi a few months ago. I've recently been getting into cycling, my city has alot of nice roads! I bought a no-named bike for 20,000 once I got here but I think it's time for me to look for something better. I'm planning to take cycle to Tokyo and other prefectures and get involved in the some of the events here.

I'm around 6'1, 186cm. My budget is 60,000 yen; I'm hoping to be here for at least the next 3 years so I don't mind buying a used bike if it's good condition. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to Utsunomiya and this website. When you talk of a no-named bike for 20,000, do you mean a step-through (mamachari), or do you mean a used example of something more or less sporty? If the latter, better in what way? (Lighter, more rugged, squeaks less?)

I've no experience of the area where you live, but notice that you have some serious-looking (translation: potentially enjoyable/excruciating) passes not far away. If you hope to explore these, you'll probably need low gearing. (Even if you remain "on-road".)

If you can say a little more, you're more likely to get useful advice. (And there's no shame either in saying you don't really know what you want to do, or in not wanting to explore the hills.)

There are some really nice bikes for sale in the classifieds section of TCC right now. For your height look at bikes around 58 + or - a few cm. There are quite of few of them in the classifieds now.
You may have to stretch your budget a bit though.

I hear Tochigi... and all I can think about it Motegi.
Must be nice to get to the racetrack without having to drive 4 hours....

Welcome!

Welcome!
Still a long drive from Utsunomiya.
Riding the Japan Cup course in Utsunomiya would keep me happy for a long long time...
Plenty of nice roads to the west...

Last edited:
I hear Utsunomiya and all I can think about is Japan Cup, Japan's premier road race. Try to follow of Blitzen, the local race team and you will find good shops and maybe good deals as well, they have a huge crowd of supporters who are roadbike enthusiasts in town.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Welcome to Utsunomiya and this website. When you talk of a no-named bike for 20,000, do you mean a step-through (mamachari), or do you mean a used example of something more or less sporty? If the latter, better in what way? (Lighter, more rugged, squeaks less?)

I've no experience of the area where you live, but notice that you have some serious-looking (translation: potentially enjoyable/excruciating) passes not far away. If you hope to explore these, you'll probably need low gearing. (Even if you remain "on-road".)

If you can say a little more, you're more likely to get useful advice. (And there's no shame either in saying you don't really know what you want to do, or in not wanting to explore the hills.)

Sorry, I guess my post was a little vague. It's 20,000 yen road bike called Coronet. To be honest, I'm pretty much a complete newbie when it comes to cycling so I can't really tell you in detail about the components; I know it has a 6 gear shimano, 700ccx28 wheels and fairly heavy that's all I can tell you about it unfortunately.

I'm looking to do more road racing around the prefecture and potentially longer trips to Tokyo, Ibaraki, etc. I might use to commute but I live quite close to work. Hills would be great but I'm more interested in the road for the time being.

Welcome!

This might be a bit small, but maybe...?

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/pinarello-galileo-frameset-only-cheap-new-picts-new-price.5644/

Others would be better able to tell you how much building it up might cost.

Thanks, that looks beautiful! I mentioned it earlier but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cycling so I'm afraid I wouldn't really know much about how to add the rest of the components so I'd rather buy a complete bike. Thanks for letting me know though.

There are some really nice bikes for sale in the classifieds section of TCC right now. For your height look at bikes around 58 + or - a few cm. There are quite of few of them in the classifieds now.
You may have to stretch your budget a bit though.

Thanks. I was thinking I wouldn't mind pushing the budget up to 70 or maybe 80k if I'm going to be cycling in the morning before work. I'll take a look!

Welcome!

Haha, I've been meaning to head down there! Sadly I can't drive....

Not too far away....but Motegi is in Ibaraki... Still a long drive from Utsunomiya.
Riding the Japan Cup course in Utsunomiya would keep me happy for a long long time...
Plenty of nice roads to the west...

I missed the Japan Cup this year, totally gutted. Where are these lovely roads to the west? Between Kanuma and Utsunomiya?

I hear Utsunomiya and all I can think about is Japan Cup, Japan's premier road race. Try to follow of Blitzen, the local race team and you will find good shops and maybe good deals as well, they have a huge crowd of supporters who are roadbike enthusiasts in town.

Thanks for the info! This is there site right?

www.blitzen.co.jp/

Any idea where the fans meet up or where I can find these good shops?

Haha, I've been meaning to head down there! Sadly I can't drive....
Ride your bike!
There are go carts there, a museum and some other random fun stuff.
I have only made it there for MotoGP weekends, so it is usually pretty busy and Utsunomiya and Mito are the only two places to get a hotel room.
Taking the car with traffic leaves me wishing i had brought my bicycle.

Get a Strava account and view all the popular rides on the map near you. You'll see the Japan Cup course on there.

I'm fascinated by this "Coronet". As it only cost 20 thou, it's probably pretty rough in one way or another -- or more likely, in several ways. Still, it would be good to see a photo. (If it has six-speed Shimano gearing, surely it can't be a Monark Silver King Coronet.)

I confused the lady on the gate at Motegi when I turned up on my bike. She had to phone through to find out how much to charge me :) The Honda museum there is fantastic.I got a train to Nasukarasuyama & rode from there to Motegi before riding back to Utsunomiya, lovely roads. When someone mentions Utsunomiya to me I just think of Gyoza :)

Ride your bike!
There are go carts there, a museum and some other random fun stuff.
I have only made it there for MotoGP weekends, so it is usually pretty busy and Utsunomiya and Mito are the only two places to get a hotel room.
Taking the car with traffic leaves me wishing i had brought my bicycle.

Awesome! I just checked it out and its 36km, perfect for a random weekend.

Get a Strava account and view all the popular rides on the map near you. You'll see the Japan Cup course on there.

Downloaded the app, thanks a bunch, it looks great.

I'm fascinated by this "Coronet". As it only cost 20 thou, it's probably pretty rough in one way or another -- or more likely, in several ways. Still, it would be good to see a photo. (If it has six-speed Shimano gearing, surely it can't be a Monark Silver King Coronet.)

That's the one! It's not bad but the front wheel isn't too stable and it's pretty heavy.

Back
Top Bottom