What's new

Hello from the south of Yokohama

pedalist

Maximum Pace
Jan 24, 2015
Hello,

I just joined and wanted to say Hello.
I got my road bike a little more than a year ago and started to ride on weekends or holidays whenever my schedule or the weather allows. Unfortunately, that means only a few rides per month.
I'm usually heading out for 65-80k rides in the Miura, Zushi, Kamakura area. This year I want to ride a couple of new areas like Yabitsu and Hakone instead of just alternating my regular Miura loop.
That's the rearson for me joining TCC. I wanted to see what others are doing and possibly find some people to in my area go ride with.
Anyway, I hope to see you around, here or on the roads of Kanagawa.

Safe and fun rides to everyone.
Stefan

We ride Miura almost every weekend. It is great in that you can avoid a lot of stoplights.
I used to live in Chinatown and spent an hour in stoplight hell just to get anywhere, so now that I am in Hayama, I am taking advantage.
I do ride out to Yabitsu a couple times a year. I hate climbing, however to me it is a necessary evil to get stronger.
I usually have gone via the beach. 134 to Oiso then rt 1. then hook a right on 71.
This is the steeper side, but for whatever reason it is the way I have gone 90% of the time.

Swinging around and climbing the north side is very scenic and not nearly as steep, however longer to get to the top.
In the summer time it is definitely my preference, but on hot days, I don't usually roll that far.

I live near Kanazawa-bunko and usually hop over the hills to Zushi or Kamakura and then towards Miura on my regular rides. The different routes and loops one can take on the Miura peninsula are not bad, but as you wrote that "getting anywhere" is not that easy here. It would be nice if the roads would be less crowded and the trains more bicycle friendly.

By the way, thank you for the information on Yabitsu. As far as my google maps research went I was thinking of the route from the south. Actually, I'm a weak climber, but just going flat is only fun with less cars around in a nice landscape, or with other people.
I guess I'll do Yabitsu when it gets a little warmer, since I don't know what it's like and how fit I actually am. Rolling all the way home along the windy and cold coast line would hurt too much when one is actually done for the day already.

You can look for ways to ride to Lake Miyagase.
You can learn that route and it takes you to the north route for Yabitsu. But right night I would fear ice near the peaks.
But the lake is pretty and not too much of a climb. But it will get you ready.

You can look for ways to ride to Lake Miyagase.
You can learn that route and it takes you to the north route for Yabitsu. But right night I would fear ice near the peaks.
But the lake is pretty and not too much of a climb. But it will get you ready.

@bloaker I've been following your comments the last couple posts on google maps--and only niggling--if you're talking about taking 64 to miyagase, instead of calling that 'north' of yabitsu, I'd maybe call it as east of it...

Also, while climbing from the Hadano side is apparently the steeper yabitsu climb, which direction offers the most pleasant descent--towards lake miyagase, or towards hadano? It'd be nice to not be on the brakes all the time. :)

Yabitsu is a wonderful ride.

if you're talking about taking 64 to miyagase, instead of calling that 'north' of yabitsu, I'd maybe call it as east of it...
What @bloaker writes is correct. Kanagawa highway 64 takes you to Miyagase reservoir, from where you commence the north approach to Yabitsu, i.e., ride south.
Also, while climbing from the Hadano side is apparently the steeper yabitsu climb, which direction offers the most pleasant descent--towards lake miyagase, or towards hadano? It'd be nice to not be on the brakes all the time. :)
I love them both. Descending to Hanano a good test of bike handling skills - and at speeds of 70 kph or so on the straight going down into town, a good test of how well your bike is built (data). The descent to the lake, on the other hand, has lots of flat sections and even some slightly uphill sections towards the end (data).

It's been a few years since I went all the way up and all the way down the other side, from either direction. And I've never done it in both directions in the same ride. Must try that this year.

yabitsu.png

Last edited:
The southern approach is fairly grinding particularly the first straight that is quite steep and quite long. After that it's a nice climb. I want to get there this year as well.

Mike, many many thanks.

The reason I was interested in @bloaker 's posts is our older one is now working in Odawara, and while I have visited a couple times, one of these days it's going to be with a bike. From there, over to the lake and back seems like one of the best rides in the area, and was wondering if one way or the other is 'better'.

Just go over and back the same way (an out & back), or do a loop one way or the other that would use 64 and approach (or descend from) yabitsu from one way or the other.

I have ridden it in every combo.
Up N, Down N.
Up N, Down S.
Up S, Down N.
Up S, Down S.

My feelings on it... Down South is better when the option makes sense. ie you're going that way.
I like descending. 6 years of motorcycles on the racetracks - this is the closest I can get to a similar rush.
It also helps I am pretty good at it.

As for going up.. To me, it is a hard climb for a shorter time or a less hard climb for a longer time.
I hate climbing, so I prefer to just get it over with.
HOWEVER - the North Side of Yabitsu is truly very scenic.
If you actually like to look around, this side wins.

@bloaker Thanks, it looks like there are pros/cons to both directions, and will just have to try everything to make my own judgments.

There are definitely pros and cons to both sides.
Going down the south side I have exceeded 85kph and truly learned the flow of the road and can maintain great corner speed.
The North Side - it is fun, but road conditions continually change and as Mike said earlier, there are some climbs on the way down.
None of the climbs are big, but they just don't let you get into that down hill roller coaster groove the south allows.

Just below the summit on the North Side is a natural spring I have stopped at many times to refill water bottles.
Nothing special, but a great spot to take a quick break and get some cold water.

Hey mate,

I am relatively new to the Yokohama area too.. For the last few weekends I have been cycling down Yokosuka way. But I am looking for A) some new routes and B) someone to ride with... I usually ride every weekend because from the sounds of it I have a similar schedule to you... Anyways, if you want to go for a ride one of these days let us know...

Safe riding
Paul G

yokohama.JPG

This was my old route from Yokohama to Yabitsu.
I would meet some friends at the beach then a couple more in Oiso and then continue on.
I always tried to leave early on Saturday to have manageable traffic.

Last edited:
Wow, thank you everyone for all the information on Yabitsu.
It seems this place is really alive.
Last week it didn't get to ride due to work, but I'll try to use some sunny hours this weekend to get ready for Yabitsu this spring.
By the way, 'bloaker', your route for Yokohama to Yabitsu looks similar to what I'd thought of, only my starting point would be a little further south. How long did it take you at about what average speed?

6 hours ride time, but there were meetup points with other people - so add any breaks to that time.
I climb slower than most, I descend faster than most.
On the flats, I am roughly rolling between 30-35kph.
Stoplights will make an average speed around 22kph

Back
Top Bottom