What's new

Hello from Switzerland and a couple of questions

pottssteve

Warming-Up
Mar 31, 2024
Hello, All,

I'm happy to say that I am due to move to Tokyo for work in August this year. I'm currently riding in Switzerland and before that, Hong Kong and the Netherlands.
I will be living near Kashiwa in Chiba Prefecture.

I'll be bringing my road bike (Van Nicholas Euros titanium - way too good for my ability) and am happy to meet up with anyone in the area for an occasional ride. Advice regarding routes to ride/avoid in that area is welcomed.

I have a couple of simple questions for those in the know:

1. Are you able to take a bike on Japanese railways?
2. What's the best way to watch live televised cycling in Japan? I currently subscribe to Eurosport (since GCN folded), but I believe it's not available in Japan.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve

For bike bags and trains, maybe this thread:

Options to watch live cycling in Japan are not great. Probably best to find a VPN service that will let you sign into your Eurosport account from Japan.

The page jdd links to above assumes that the reader already knows that, in order for it to go by train, any bike must be in a bag. (There are a very few trains where the bike can just be wheeled on.) For suburban Tokyo/Chiba lines, the requirements aren't onerous: if you just remove the front wheel, attach it to the frame, turn the handlebar around, throw a cover over all of this, and tighten the draw-strings of the cover, you'll be OK. (Don't be a dick: avoid the rush hour.)

Thanks for your replies. I had a look at the thread that was suggested - very helpful, thank you. I assumed I needed a bike bag, so will aim to get one of those. It's similar to Hong Kong - remove the front wheel, but HK didn't require a bag.

Regarding the cycling coverage, I assumed that the VPN would be the best option, but thought I would check in case there was a better work around.

Cheers,
Steve

I think if I were living in Kashiwa I'd often be ferrying (that is, training) my bike south to Kimitsu or thereabouts.

Thanks for your reply. Kashiwa looks like a nice area, but too far for a day's ride for someone of my limited ability. I agree that train first then ride would be the best option. I was looking at heading out towards Ryugasaki area, around 25km from Kashiwa. It appears to be a maze of small, quiet, rural roads running through rice fields. Pretty flat, but that suits me, anyway - definitely more rouler than grimpeur!

@pottssteve , your ability can hardly be more limited than mine. (As for mine, just ask any of the people who've struggled to remain polite after waiting twenty minutes or more for my arrival at the top of this or that pass.) In the four months before you arrive in Chiba, how about exploring some of Switzerland's, um, hills? (You'll find that those of Chiba's own Bōsō peninsula are rather more modest.)

@pottssteve , your ability can hardly be more limited than mine. (As for mine, just ask any of the people who've struggled to remain polite after waiting twenty minutes or more for my arrival at the top of this or that pass.) In the four months before you arrive in Chiba, how about exploring some of Switzerland's, um, hills? (You'll find that those of Chiba's own Bōsō peninsula are rather more modest.)
Perhaps we'll get a chance to meet up to find out who is slowest! I live near Geneva so they are more hills than mountains. Having said that, I can leave my apartment and ride for almost 30km uphill at between 3 and 10%, so it gets the heart pumping. I'm planning to ride as much as possible before the bike gets shipped. Riding on the Jura is the main thing I'll miss about leaving Switzerland.

I often cycle to and around Kashiwa. You will have access to both the Tonegawa and Edogawa river cycling paths.
The Tonegawa one will take you to the Pacific Ocean or to the countryside and mountains of Japan depending on which way you go. The Edogawa branches off from the Tonegawa and goes all the way down to Tokyo Bay so you could conceivably visit not only Kasai Rink Koen but Tokyo DisneyLand as well if you like that kind of thing.
You will also have the chance to veer off course and explore Tokyo proper.
Kashiwa is a nice place.

I often cycle to and around Kashiwa. You will have access to both the Tonegawa and Edogawa river cycling paths.
The Tonegawa one will take you to the Pacific Ocean or to the countryside and mountains of Japan depending on which way you go. The Edogawa branches off from the Tonegawa and goes all the way down to Tokyo Bay so you could conceivably visit not only Kasai Rink Koen but Tokyo DisneyLand as well if you like that kind of thing.
You will also have the chance to veer off course and explore Tokyo proper.
Kashiwa is a nice place.
Thanks for this, it's good to know that there are some options. Kashiwa to Choshi on the coast looks like a good day out!

Back
Top Bottom