What's new

Hello from Suginami-ku

Oldham-man

Speeding Up
Jun 28, 2022
Been lurking a while but thought I should intro myself before I start spamming questions.

Long term Tokyo resident. Relatively new to cycling as a hobby. But already managed a spectacular accident when a BMW pulled across me on a green light.

Managed 400k+ per month May-Dec 2022 with a 100k ride each month. And over 700k in Dec..
Just managed 100k in the cold. (Can't say I'm a fan but determined to keep momentum thru the winter.).

Now to the questions. Ha ha.

This year I'm intending to try bikepacking. Target is a Campsite up around Fuji 5 lakes.
Currently thinking to go all in on Restrap bags but open to suggestions and any advice.

Also keen for any recommendations for cycling routes from Suginami. (60-120k range)
I'm an awkward distance from the Tamagawa.
My two exercise routes are.
Up to Tachikawa and laps of the showa park.
Up to Tamako on the cycling road and laps of the reservoir.

Thanks in advance.

If you're just getting into it I wouldn't spend a lot on Restrap stuff. Slightly salty about the frame bag which scratched up my frame. The straps now have been redesigned but eh.

I have a Topeak frontloader and midloader, price is much better and quality decent. Blackburn outpost for the rear cos Topeak's doesn't have a separate drybag.

If you're living in Suginami-ku, you're probably close to a station.

On a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, ride to the station. Put your bike into a rinkōbukuro. Carry it onto a train and disembark some way to the west or north. Do your 60 to 120 km ride. Put your bike back into the rinkōbukuro, carry it onto the train back.

Also keen for any recommendations for cycling routes from Suginami
Depends where in Suginami. Are you at all close to Arakawa? It's probably urban hell getting there, but once there it's a gateway to nice long rides - either flat or out to the west Saitama mountains.

One mostly peaceful way to get to upstream Tamagawa/Ome area is alongside the Tamagawa Jōsui aqueduct. I rode along that to Mitaka the other day.

If you're dipping your toe into bikepacking or bike touring I'd recommend going with cheap kit to start. You may discover that you prefer a different set up to what you start out with. Cheaper items allow you to experiment without taking such a beating if you need to rehome some of the gear later if you find it doesn't suit you.

In my experience Topeak and RockBros are widely available, inexpensive, and decent enough quality for your first couple of trips. If you like the setup you can keep using them until they wear out or upgrade as needed (wanted) and sell or give away the cheap gear you start with.

If you're just getting into it I wouldn't spend a lot on Restrap stuff. Slightly salty about the frame bag which scratched up my frame. The straps now have been redesigned but eh.

I have a Topeak frontloader and midloader, price is much better and quality decent. Blackburn outpost for the rear cos Topeak's doesn't have a separate drybag.
thanks for that. I had alook a topeak. I think I can save money there and still get something with a seperate dry-bag for the rear. I found a comment on wiggle about frame rubbing and planned to buy the frame protector to compensate.

If you're living in Suginami-ku, you're probably close to a station.

On a Saturday, Sunday or holiday, ride to the station. Put your bike into a rinkōbukuro. Carry it onto a train and disembark some way to the west or north. Do your 60 to 120 km ride. Put your bike back into the rinkōbukuro, carry it onto the train back.
Sorry. I should have mentioned I do have one such bag. I just lack the confidence to get on a train so far. So I'm going to make that a challenge for this year. At least take the train in the early morning and then maybe have a route from Ome or similar. Cheers..

If you're dipping your toe into bikepacking or bike touring I'd recommend going with cheap kit to start. You may discover that you prefer a different set up to what you start out with. Cheaper items allow you to experiment without taking such a beating if you need to rehome some of the gear later if you find it doesn't suit you.

In my experience Topeak and RockBros are widely available, inexpensive, and decent enough quality for your first couple of trips. If you like the setup you can keep using them until they wear out or upgrade as needed (wanted) and sell or give away the cheap gear you start with.
cheers! cheaper kit seems like a smart move. wish I could find a shop stocking some so I could have a feel as it were...

Sorry. I should have mentioned I do have one such bag. I just lack the confidence to get on a train so far. So I'm going to make that a challenge for this year. At least take the train in the early morning and then maybe have a route from Ome or similar. Cheers..
Best thing to do is practice at home a few times to gain confidence and see what you need to get.
Perhaps a sprocket cover just in case? Do you need to adjust the shoulder strap to carry the bike? All these little things that you can practice so when you get to the station, the only thing you have to worry about is which end to ride.

Let's just say I'll have a Holland's pie or six each time I'm back in England.

Awesome thread. I just watched the rinko bag master video. I think that needs to be a residential course. But I will challenge myself to Rinko bag this year.

If you like your cheese and onion Hollands pies and you need a quick fix, these are great from Gyomu Supermarket. You can also get a variety of chips and canned baked beans!

Andy

If you like your cheese and onion Hollands pies and you need a quick fix, these are great from Gyomu Supermarket. You can also get a variety of chips and canned baked beans!

Andy
Those things are way better than they have any right to be.

I just watched the rinko bag master video. I think that needs to be a residential course. But I will challenge myself to Rinko bag this year.
If you hope to take your bike on the shinkansen (or certain other trains), you should reduce its dimensions by removing its rear wheel. This brings about certain complications, notably much greater vulnerability for your rear derailer, which therefore needs protection, which means metal bits to carry around and fiddle with (or to forget).

If OTOH you just want to take the train out to, or back from, somewhere like Musashi Itsuka-ichi or even Ōtsuki, all the bike needs is a token reduction in dimensions, and a cover. So you can leave the rear wheel on. The whole process is now so simple that even a klutz like me has no trouble doing it (other perhaps than outdoors in a strong wind).

Just be careful that you buy the right cover. For the latter purpose, people tend to praise the simple, foolproof Mont-Bell; but when I last investigated (perhaps three years ago), (i) this came in two sizes; (ii) Mont-Bell also had a both-wheels-off model (possibly in two sizes).

Well. I felt I should provide an update as people were so kind and welcoming.

Just back from two nights solo bike touring/packing/camping around Fuji..
I decided to splurge and get my ride pimped out with a set of Restrap bags.
I had a stove for making coffee but just grabbed food from conbinis..
Found a route from Suginami down to the Tama-gawa which is almost all cycle paths! Bit bumpy in places but I'm not going for speed.
Then onwards via Sagamiko. Camped first night up near Doshi. The extra weight makes the hills more fun..
Next morning continued up to Yamanaka-ko then touched all five lakes before camping in the executive box at Shoji-ko lake side. Up and off at 6am today to slog it back to tokyo. Whilst that's supposed to be all downhill coming back, I racked about 900m climbing. (I think it used a lot of route 139 Akiyama which was gorgeous.)
10/10 huge sense of accomplishment. The Rinko bag remains unused...

This I have learnt: The weather forecast at your destination may vary from your starting point. (Is over 50 late to discover this...)

Now plotting a couple of nights in Chiba. Which may involve a ferry!

Attachments

• 77E6113F-ABEA-4B51-AC1B-48B776CD1012.jpeg
    77E6113F-ABEA-4B51-AC1B-48B776CD1012.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 12
That's good to hear you enjoyed your ride - weather at this time of year is very temperamental, in spite of predications. Case in point, the last couple of days, my area has had massive thunderstorms and rain, while about 15 km down the road, nothing.

If you do go to Chiba, there are some good routes from Suginami - along the Sakaigawa, through Kamakaura / Hayama, and across to Kurihama that take you away from the main roads. The ferry itself is a nice little break of around 45 minutes; however, with all long rides, make sure you think about the wind on the Boso peninsula before you decide which way you go around.

With the wind against you on the southern tip, it can seem like a long hard slog around the base of the peninsula, with so little stops along the way.

Did you carry a chair with you?

You and @adventurous cyclist are kindred spirits.

Well done on out and back by bike.

Next challenge, ride out as far as you can in a day and rinko back.

Back
Top Bottom