What's new

Hello from Setagaya!

Ratchet21

Maximum Pace
Sep 7, 2020
Hi all! My name is Rob from Singapore. I have started cycling again as hobby lately so hoping to make more cycling buddies in Japan.
I have been cycling around my neighborhood at setagaya and shibuya to train up my stamina before i try longer rides.
Am definitely interested to try out tamagawa, arakawa or tamako lake and explore other location soon.

I normally cycle on flexible hours but mostly around weekday morning and on weekend, if anyone here don't mind cycling together please do invite me!
Happy to be here and looking forward to cycle more with this community.

Cheers!

Welcome, keep an eye out for rides but Covid has made group rides kinda tough I suspect.

Understand, and yes safety should always be first! Will train up my stamina in the meantime :D

Welcome to the forum, Rob! :)

Thank you Thomas!!

Welcome, Rob. Some members ride with Half Fast Cycling around Tokyo. They have regular weekly rides you can join.

thank you for the link! Am definitely interested to join any available ride with them as soon as they have any planned rides.

Welcome Rob. If you go to the Half Fast web site and go to the "join" section, there is a subscription form that if you fill in then you will get on the mailing list for their rides. They normally send the weekend ride details out on Friday afternoons.

Welcome Rob. If you go to the Half Fast web site and go to the "join" section, there is a subscription form that if you fill in then you will get on the mailing list for their rides. They normally send the weekend ride details out on Friday afternoons.

Thank you for the tips! Yea I will do so!
But currently I'm using a folding bike while waiting for 2021 model of the road bike that I am considering to be in stock, not sure will that trouble the riding group as folding bike is generally slower than road bike haha

They have all sorts at Half Fast and it seems like a pretty relaxed crew. I'm sure you'll like it.

I think the only rules are no shopping bikes and you've got to wear a helmet.

I think shopping bikes are OK. I know one guy used to ride a mamachari.
I'll ride a folding bike together if I know when you're going, so you won't be alone. But nobody gets left behind anyway. Everyone is very accommodating and a fantastic bunch of people with some really interesting urban rides in particular.

Hi Rob,

Half Fast is a good place to meet other cyclists, but most of their rides are urban, which is fine if that's what you like.

Personally I prefer heading out of the city into the mountains or to the coast. There are plenty of nice routes out west, but it depends a bit on how far you like to ride.

I'm also in Setagaya and the Tamagawa is a convenient route for me to get closer to the mountain rides, if you don't take the bike on a train in a rinko bag.

Personal favourites of mine are:
- the Hinohara area (Musashiitsukaichi station to Tomin no Mori and Okutama),
- Yabitsu toge (currently inaccessible from Lake Miyagase),
- the Greenline in the mountains near Hanno / Ogose,
- Doshi road out towards Lake Yamanaka
- Rt35 to Akiyama and Tsuru
- Miura peninsula
- Boso peninsula via the ferry from Kurihama
- Hakone mountains from Odawara
- West Izu (Numazu to Matsuzaki)
- Chichibu area

If you follow people on Strava, you can see some of the routes that people ride here.

I rode a folding road bike (Bike Friday Pocket Rocket) as my only bike for 38,000 km. If you have the right gearing and the bike fits you, you can do almost any ride on a good folding bike. I have completed brevets of 300 and 400 km on mine. My main bike now is an adventure bike / gravel bike. Most of my rides are long rides on the weekend.

I'll ride a folding bike together if I know when you're going, so you won't be alone. But nobody gets left behind anyway. Everyone is very accommodating and a fantastic bunch of people with some really interesting urban rides in particular.

Thank you so much! I have joined the subscription and I will definitely keep a look out for next riding!
Preparing spare tubes and stuff too for my bike to avoid any whoops moment!

Hi Rob,

Half Fast is a good place to meet other cyclists, but most of their rides are urban, which is fine if that's what you like.

Personally I prefer heading out of the city into the mountains or to the coast. There are plenty of nice routes out west, but it depends a bit on how far you like to ride.

I'm also in Setagaya and the Tamagawa is a convenient route for me to get closer to the mountain rides, if you don't take the bike on a train in a rinko bag.

Personal favourites of mine are:
- the Hinohara area (Musashiitsukaichi station to Tomin no Mori and Okutama),
- Yabitsu toge (currently inaccessible from Lake Miyagase),
- the Greenline in the mountains near Hanno / Ogose,
- Doshi road out towards Lake Yamanaka
- Rt35 to Akiyama and Tsuru
- Miura peninsula
- Boso peninsula via the ferry from Kurihama
- Hakone mountains from Odawara
- West Izu (Numazu to Matsuzaki)
- Chichibu area

If you follow people on Strava, you can see some of the routes that people ride here.

I rode a folding road bike (Bike Friday Pocket Rocket) as my only bike for 38,000 km. If you have the right gearing and the bike fits you, you can do almost any ride on a good folding bike. I have completed brevets of 300 and 400 km on mine. My main bike now is an adventure bike / gravel bike. Most of my rides are long rides on the weekend.

Hi Joewein!

Glad to know that there is fellow Setagaya rider here and thank you for the kind suggestions for ride!
I'm still new to cycling in Tokyo but I do think I will love mountain rides too. So far I have been riding from Shimokita to Futako tamagawa to back and forth to train up my basic, I do plan to cycle from Futako Tamagawa to either direction soon.

I'm currently riding a 6 speed folding bike, as I have only had it for a month so I am still exploring how far can i challenge it but thank you for your advice! Hopefully we can ride together too next time at Setagaya/Tamagawa area!

I will be joining my first ride with half fast tomorrow! Hope to see you there too if you are going!

And thanks everyone for the suggestion! Excited to cycle with the community!

Back
Top Bottom