What's new

Hello from Italy

federica

Warming-Up
Apr 30, 2015
hi guys!!=) i'm a 21 italian girl and i need your help really much!!=)
i live in Tokyo and i'm planning to go from here to Osaka this coming July.
i won't be alone since my mom alredy bought the plane ticket for coming here and we both alredy have our bikes.
the main problems are: we are going to start our trip on the second half of the month so....in that period which route is better?? and if possible we wanted to go camping...do you know if it's possible???
thanx in advance and sorry for all my usless blabbering....XD

So, you are looking for Tokyo to Osaka routes.

The time you go in July should not really affect the route you take (unless there is something I am overlooking?)

Hi Federica

Osaka isn't much further from Tokyo than Kyoto is, and there's plenty of info here about Tokyo to Kyoto or vice versa: here, here, here, here, here, and probably more besides. I think that you need to ask yourself what you most want (or what you most dislike): few nights, scenery, few hills, little traffic, etc.

Of course much of Italy can be very hot indeed in summer. In Japan it rarely goes above 35 degrees or so, but it can be very humid on top of the heat. Have you and your mother experienced this? It's worth considering.

than you really much for your answers=)
mmmh i didn't though about the humidity.....what do you suggest?? is travelling in early morning and late afternoon going to be any better?? i still haven't been in japan during the summer so i don't really know....:)

Early morning is distinctly cooler, but late afternoon isn't much cooler. I don't think you can avoid the heat. If you can ride in Italy in August, I'd guess that you can ride in Japan in July. (By "Italy", I don't mean Bolzano....)

Hello @federica,

I was in Rome in August 2003 when it was 38-40C, but it was drier than it usually is in Tokyo in summer, which makes a big difference.

I think the most important advice for cycling in the heat is to take it easy and to stay hydrated. Keep the daily distance manageable, leave time for rest and cooling off in the shade. Also, it's usually a little cooler at higher elevations and where there are trees that offer some shade.

I would pick an inland route rather than the Shizuoka-Nagoya coastal route, mostly because the countryside is less crowded and more scenic. The coast has a lot of industry, trucks and other traffic.

Back
Top Bottom