What's new

Hello from Ichikawa-shi

PickledNoob

Warming-Up
Nov 2, 2012
Hi everyone!

I am a 23 year old English teacher living in Minami-Gyotoku in Ichikawa, and would love to get some riding in with you guys!

I have been watching pro road cycling for the past three years and last year decided it was finally time to buy myself a bike and try it out for myself. I bought a trek 1.5 and rode it a bit, but then I moved to Japan to start this job. Last week I went back to the UK and brought my bike out to Japan when I returned. So bar the 50km up Arakawa I did yesterday I haven't really ridden in 7 months, but I'm eager to get back into it.

Unfortunately I work Saturday and Sunday, but I have Thursday and Friday off. Arakawa seems fun but I would love to find some hills within riding distance of my house, so any recommendations would be great. :)

yoroshiku onegaishimasu

Welcome!!

I sometimes base out of Ichikawa (near the station) to ride up Edogawa.... prefer it to Arakawa....

Welcome,
I also prefer the Edogawa to the Arakawa,
I hope to meet you one of these days!

Welcome!

You're not too far from Boso (the Chiba peninsula), and there's lots of climbing down that way, though no big mountains. My favorite launch point in Honda station on the Sotobo line, about 30kms, 40kms(?) ride from you, or 30-45 minute train ride. You could search these forums for things like "Boso", "Backroads Boso", "Hilly Boso", "Koyo Boso" for route ideas.

There's Tsukuba too, a big ride but do-able in one day I think, or you could take the train part/all of the way up.

If you want the proper big mountains, you have to head west...

I often ride to Minami Gyoutoku because I used to live there and it's a stone's fro from the Edogawa.

Not sure if I'll be riding much for a while as my knee operation is in Jan.
(Want to ride as much as possible before then to build up some thigh muscle).

I also have Friday's off and every 4th Thursday, so will PM you if I'm going for a ride...

Hills?

(just realized Phil also recommended the following)
It's possible to ride to the top of Mt. Tsukuba and back from where you are in a day. That's a mighty ride for a beginner or with no mileage in the legs but a damned good test.

Thanks for the offer Owen, but unfortunately I have a training day this Thursday!

Edogawakakkoman- If you fancy an easy ride any Friday give me a shout.

Thanks for all the advice I will get on google maps and check out those places.

Also why do people prefer Edogawa? The track is much wider at Arakawa isn't it?

less people.

Yes,

Once you get past Misato, it's bare..especially mid week. There are a lot of new wide sections as well. Both sides are nice to ride on as well. I left one quarter of it unridden for 6 years...was like a new world when I finally got bored of the other side...

Also Live in Ichikawa and often ride the Edogawa. I dont work Friday and am always out in the morning breaking a sweat.

Thanks for the offer Owen, but unfortunately I have a training day this Thursday!

Edogawakakkoman- If you fancy an easy ride any Friday give me a shout.

Thanks for all the advice I will get on google maps and check out those places.

Also why do people prefer Edogawa? The track is much wider at Arakawa isn't it?

Less people and no barriers.It seems on the Arakawa cars get priority at entrances to sports grounds,etc.

before 9:30? I havent got up that early for a long time...

So yes, after 9:30, maybe 10:30 ish?

before 9:30? I havent got up that early for a long time...

So yes, after 9:30, maybe 10:30 ish?

I,too, came to Japan when I was 23 and 10:30 would have been a gruesome prospect but that was quite some time ago. While I know your feels by 10:30 I will be on my way back to start the rest of my day.:bike:

I am sure we will ride together some time.

haha I'm sure I'm capable of getting up for an early ride, I only suggested that time because theDude couldn't make it before 0930.

haha I'm sure I'm capable of getting up for an early ride, I only suggested that time because theDude couldn't make it before 0930.

hehe, no worries.

I think I might actually stay a bit more local on Friday and do a long-ish ride going west.... I have to go out of town this weekend so will be all I can get in.

next time....

I don't think he was turning you down but just replying to my post. I may not even go out at all on Friday as I may have family commitments.

Go ride together!

Back
Top Bottom