What's new

Hello from Hongkong

NT954

Warming-Up
Dec 2, 2012
Hi Guys,

I just joined the club. After completing the round Taiwan bike trip in October, 1200km in 12 days, I started to plan my next trip. I visit Japan almost every year and obviously Japan will be my next destination.

I plan to ride from Tokyo to Osaka in next Spring or Summer, following the Tokaido or Rt 1. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Norman

Hi!

I have ridden Route 1 from Tokyo to Nagoya in two (very long) days before and although it is relatively direct I did find a few of the detours I had to take (to avoid sections restricted from two-wheel traffic) a bit tricky without a map (or GPS) at the time. There is not very much in the way of scenery until you get out of Kanagawa. I am guessing that rest of the run to Osaka would go fairly smoothly. I had originally planned to go to Kyoto or Osaka but got rained out (it was August, pushing 40C near Nagoya and very humid so I headed back before the scheduled week of rain was to set in).

I have been told that the run along the Sea of Japan is much more scenic.

Hi Knownone

I am a average rider and do only 100k per day or 120K max. I plan to take 6 days covering the 600K between Tokyo and Osaka. I have travelled between Tokyo and Osaka by train, plane and bus before. It will be interesting by bike in a different pace and angle.

Welcome to the forum!
I plan to ride from Tokyo to Osaka in next Spring or Summer, following the Tokaido or Rt 1. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm not the first to say this, but my suggestion would be to not ride from Tokyo to Osaka, in any season, following the Tokaido or Rt. 1.

There are essentially an infinite number of 600 km routes in Japan, and though I can't speak from personal experience, I'd wager ever single one of them is better than riding the nation's main industrial and transport corridor, through the nation's most densely populated and industrialized regions, between its two largest cities.

If I seem excessively down on your plan, it's because I envy your 6 days on the bike, and hate to think it will be wasted when there's so much beautiful scenery and many fantastic roads to explore elsewhere in the country.

Thanks for Phil and Gunjira. I will take into consideration.

I have to agree (having ridden Route 1 between Tokyo and Nagoya) that taking a more scenic route would definitely be more pleasant, especially given that you have a full 6 days.

Back
Top Bottom