What's new

Hello from Futako-tamagawa

Wozza

Speeding Up
Aug 31, 2013
I'm moving to Tokyo next week, going to be living in Futakotamagawa.

I've decided not to bring my trusty mountain bike, using the move as an excuse to buy a new road bike. I know Japan isn't the cheapest place to get a new bike, but I'm looking forward to drooling over all the nice shiny new bikes, anyway, spending yen doesn't feel like spending real money.

I'll be arriving just in time for the temperature to drop and winter arrive. I know it doesn't snow much in Tokyo, but what about the surrounding mountains? Will the back roads around Takao and the like be ice free over winter, or will I be confined to the Tama cycle path until next year?

If I get fast enough, I look forward to joining some of you guys on a couple of rides.

Welcome to Japan, Tokyo, Futako area. I'm right around the corner from you.

Except for maybe a week out of the year, not much ice to worry about in the low lying areas.

Welcome Wozza, yeah the mountain roads get icy in winter but there is still plenty of riding to be had and the good thing is the cycling paths (no such thing really) are a lot less used in winter. You'll still be able to do climbing as well, just not without checking in on conditions. Riding with the guys will get you fast pretty quickly.

On another note you guys must get up really early, or stray up really late to have replied so early!

Nah I got woken up by my kids sleep walking into my bed room and then fighting for blankets. Gonna go get another 40 winks now.

Welcome Wozza.

You got some stores nearby.
Y's Road further up the road and the new Giant store under the bridge.

Yeah, it looks like there are a few shops in that area to brows round. I'd like to buy from somewhere close.

Strangely , the first think my wife wants to do is go round buying things for the apartment.

The first thing I want to do is buy a bike.

Looks like I'll have to make a few excuses to get away and look round the bike shops, while she buys the "essential" things like futons and pots and pans.

She just doesn't understand priorities.

I live in Kaminoge, one stop from Futako. Welcome to the neighborhood.
For bike shops, yes there is a Y's in Futako and a Giant shop under the bridge, but also Positivo/Nagai-san in Todoroki (on S. side of Meguro dori one block from Kanpachi), and C Speed/Hiroshi Koyama over in Kawasaki /Takatsu area. And plenty of other choices as well.

If you get frustrated by lack of frame sizes or Japanese pricing, you can always buy online from around the world (Wiggle, Canyon, etc.), and use these shops for your maintenance and upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom