Hello from Chiba

candycandy

Warming-Up
Jul 2, 2010
Chiba-Japan
Hello!

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to this board.

My name is Takeo, as you can guess I am Japanese, but lived in States since 1989... just got back to Japan last March.

I've been riding bike since 3 years old as most Japanese would do, and picked up my first 'real' MTB at 16, my first year in US. It was a red GT MTB, I still have a picture of it...

I've been riding off and on since then, but with football and american food, I gained a lot of weight and biking became more of a pain than joy...

Anyways, fast forward 2 decades, here I am, back in Japan.
I started riding again last year, with Cannondale Quick 4 as my first bike, then GF Supercaliber, then I thought 29'er would be cool, and picked up Gary Fisher Rig Single Speed.

I wasn't really into road bikes, since all of my days in US was in the deep south (Arkansas, South Carolina, and Tennessee) so riding a road bike wasn't really an option.

Anyways, I currently live in Chiba, (Kamagaya-city to be exact) and trying to find some group to ride with.
I finally found a good shop who does a lot of events: I joined one and it was a blast. Anyone living close to this area, I'd recommend to come join us on our next outing !!

(the shop HP is http://www.jitensha-kan.com/ all in Japanese, but I'll be happy to translate any for you)

Also, I work right by the Tokyo station, so if there's any get together around here (like, visiting shops), please let me know, I'd love to come along and learn from you.

Anyways, looking forward to hear and hopefully ride with you.

Regards

Takeo Sonoi (handlename: candycandy)

p.s. Candycandy is my WOW name I used... anyone here played WOW? I used to play in Thunderlord..... :D

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
Welcome to TCC. How do you like the SS rig? I live up here in Aomori but do a bit of off road SS. Cheers Simon in Aomori.

candycandy

Warming-Up
Jul 2, 2010
Chiba-Japan
Welcome to TCC. How do you like the SS rig? I live up here in Aomori but do a bit of off road SS. Cheers Simon in Aomori.
Hi Simon

I love SS. I never thought I'd get into it, but thinking back, all of those what Japanese call "mama-chari (bicycle for mothers) are single speed, and I grew up riding 'hand me downs' from my family members...

I love the fact that I don't have to think about shifting... all I have to do is think about keeping my momentum and best line to take.
Also, you get to show off your 'leg' on uphill... love the faces of them boys with million gears when I pass them going uphill with single speed.... :)

Since there are a lot of road type events, I'm thinking about getting a road bike.... but I really don't know if I would get into it....

Anyways, thanks Simon !

Takeo

candycandy

Warming-Up
Jul 2, 2010
Chiba-Japan
Welcome Takeo!

I'm not too far from you, down Yachimata way--hopefully see you for a ride some time soon, although in my case it will have to be the road, as that's pretty much all I ride...
Hi Phil, thanks for the welcome.

Indeed, you are very close to where I am (38km).

I am looking into getting road bike also. But with limited funding, and being a 181cm and 95kg, I don't know whether I am built for road biking... I certainly like the idea though.

I would love to get Gary Fisher road bikes before they're gone, but they're not exactly cheap, and I hear they are almost out of stock in my size...

Any cheap road bikes out there? I don't mind single speed also :p

Takeo

Dec 31, 2009
Matsumoto
Welcome

just wanted to say welcome to the club. Nice picture wish I had one of those! Fisher road bikes are really cool it is too bad trek bough em. Gary Fisher is a great guy. I would not worry about any bike not being strong enough, I way 100 kg and never had a problem. I bend wheels occasionally, but who doesnt! Welcome back to Japan and if your in Nagano Hoalla at your boy!