What's new

Hello from Chiba / Tokyo - just arrived from California

ADVeveryday

Cruising
Oct 20, 2013
Hello TCC! I was referred here by Peter McEntyre. I was reading his info online about cycling in Tokyo and found this great site!

I have been coming to Japan on and off for 7 years but just moved here permanently about 3 weeks ago. I'm from south Orange County, California. Cycle roughly 200km weekly if time permits . I have a background and media presence in pro sports (tennis and cycling) and advise for Hammer Nutrition, Mavic, Wilson, and PTR.

I've been exploring Chiba (Funabashi) Edogawa but it's much more fun with friends! I'm always looking for someone to ride with or a group to train with so please let me know if you want to ride!

This looks like a great site and I look forward to meeting some of you!

Quick edit moved to Edogawa a week ago!

Thanks
Ryan

Last edited:
Welcome.
I'm sure you'll find a great bunch of guys to ride with!
Thanks! I'm sure I will. Turned 60k with my father in law today and saw some local roads. It was a muddy mess but it was good to cycle to the ocean and get off the busy main roads.

I heard Tsukuba is pretty isolated and off the path. If anyone is interested in Chiba to Tsukuba and back let me know. It's around 60k each way I think...

Ryan,
You're lucky.
You've managed to relocate yourself to a part of Japan that is not only very convenient for Tokyo but a great place to cycle in and around.
The Funabashi-Tsukuba ride is very nice,plus you've got all the coastal rides and the Edo-Tone-Hanamigawa-Inba Numa rivers trails to get in your miles!

Welcome--always nice to have another east-sider! As well as the great river rides Forsbrook mentions, you also have easy access to the Boso peninsula, which has rolling hills and surprisingly quiet roads (if you avoid the main routes--search "boso" here on the forums and some good routes will pop up). I'm out in Yachimata and so in the middle of the Inbanuma/Tone/Kujukuri Coast/Boso areas--hoping to do some TCC rides out here in the fall and winter.
(Edit: Meant to say, Peter was the original racing sempai here and knows the upper Tone and Tsukuba area really well, so definitely take his advice on board!)

Last edited:
Edo,How's your knee holding up?
I noticed recently that you aren't posting as much as before.
I hope you are still riding and that everything is well.

My knee is fine for riding..and just in the last few weeks feels close enough to normal for walking. All work and no play makes edo a fat boy though....
Have put on a ton of weight... I'm considering quitting 2 of my jobs to free up some more ride time and try and commute a bit more. Running around in the car too much to get from A to B to C and not possible to do all that on the bike...
Haven't even had time to go to the gym much over the last 3 months... The lack of exercise though seems to have allowed my knee to feel more normal than it had been.
One company I've been working with only once a week for the last 15 years will get the message tomorrow...that I have to let them go. They'll panic and offer me more money too....too little too late. Have to look after myself now...They've just had 2 bumper years and didn't give me any bonus...etc.
Paying the bills for my son's education at the moment has had me working too hard. 4 years ago I had 3 days off a week that allowed for quality training....these days I only have one day off a week and too tired then to do much at all....blah blah blah...
Thanks for asking...

Ryan,
You're lucky.
You've managed to relocate yourself to a part of Japan that is not only very convenient for Tokyo but a great place to cycle in and around.
The Funabashi-Tsukuba ride is very nice,plus you've got all the coastal rides and the Edo-Tone-Hanamigawa-Inba Numa rivers trails to get in your miles!
Thanks! I've been getting out and exploring when I can. The local streets are terrifying so I'm getting good with the side streets. It's a challenge to find some long open road that stays like that. I think Tsukuba should be a good one.

Welcome--always nice to have another east-sider! As well as the great river rides Forsbrook mentions, you also have easy access to the Boso peninsula, which has rolling hills and surprisingly quiet roads (if you avoid the main routes--search "boso" here on the forums and some good routes will pop up). I'm out in Yachimata and so in the middle of the Inbanuma/Tone/Kujukuri Coast/Boso areas--hoping to do some TCC rides out here in the fall and winter.
(Edit: Meant to say, Peter was the original racing sempai here and knows the upper Tone and Tsukuba area really well, so definitely take his advice on board!)
Thanks Phil. Ya peter seems to be a real knowledge source! Makes all the difference riding with people who know the area.

Hey Phil, just looked up yachimata. You are pretty close to me. I'm over near yachiyo. How often do you ride?

Hi! Another Chiba-Ken resident here. I lived in Chiba City until last March, and in Funabashi three years before that, so I know your area pretty well. I currently live down south in Sodegaura at the gateway to the Boso hill country.
In Yachiyo you have easy access to the Inbanuma cycling course which can take you all the way up to Ibaraki-Ken. It can get a bit crowded, but weekdays, bad weather / cold days are great.
If you ever want to give the hills of southern Boso a try I'm riding out there almost every weekend.

Hi! Another Chiba-Ken resident here. I lived in Chiba City until last March, and in Funabashi three years before that, so I know your area pretty well. I currently live down south in Sodegaura at the gateway to the Boso hill country.
In Yachiyo you have easy access to the Inbanuma cycling course which can take you all the way up to Ibaraki-Ken. It can get a bit crowded, but weekdays, bad weather / cold days are great.
If you ever want to give the hills of southern Boso a try I'm riding out there almost every weekend.
It sounds like you know the area well!
I liked up Boso - is it on the coast there up from onjuku? My buddy owns flying sumo surf there in onjuku. It's a surf shop / pension.
Definitrly ok trying some new areas with you. Just gotta wait for this crap weather to clear!

My knee is fine for riding..and just in the last few weeks feels close enough to normal for walking. All work and no play makes edo a fat boy though....
Have put on a ton of weight... I'm considering quitting 2 of my jobs to free up some more ride time and try and commute a bit more. Running around in the car too much to get from A to B to C and not possible to do all that on the bike...
Haven't even had time to go to the gym much over the last 3 months... The lack of exercise though seems to have allowed my knee to feel more normal than it had been.
One company I've been working with only once a week for the last 15 years will get the message tomorrow...that I have to let them go. They'll panic and offer me more money too....too little too late. Have to look after myself now...They've just had 2 bumper years and didn't give me any bonus...etc.
Paying the bills for my son's education at the moment has had me working too hard. 4 years ago I had 3 days off a week that allowed for quality training....these days I only have one day off a week and too tired then to do much at all....blah blah blah...
Thanks for asking...
Good man,
Glad you're getting there.
It's always the same isn't it,time or money.
I'm glad you are dumping your less than appreciative employers!

Thanks! I've been getting out and exploring when I can. The local streets are terrifying so I'm getting good with the side streets. It's a challenge to find some long open road that stays like that. I think Tsukuba should be a good one.
Don't worry,you'll learn to adapt.
If you get down to Makuhari you'll find a lot of widish roads.
Once you get on the riverside courses(Hanamigawa in Makuhari)which leads to the InbaNuma bike path you'll be more than sorted.
The secret is learning how to get the cycling paradises from the built up area.
When I first came over here I remember being really frustrated especially in the urban Chiba area with its lack of cycle ways and sidewalks.
In no time at all,you'll know it like the back of your hand!

Back
Top Bottom