What's new

Hello from Aichi

nishiki2013

http://www.bikepackingjapan.com
Jan 30, 2015
Hello.

I should probably have joined TCC years ago but as I'm not living in Tokyo and never have I didn't think it was appropriate. Silly me!

I've been living and cycling in Japan since 2001. One year in Tokushima, Shikoku, and everything else around the Aichi/Gifu/Nagano area with occasional excursions into Mie and Shiga. Clocked up 8000kms last year and am aiming for 10,000km this year.

I first cycled up Mt. Norikura in 2004 (I think) and have *foolishly* been cycling up it every year since. Cycled from Shikoku to Aichi back in 2002 and also... well, blah, blah, blah. You get the idea :) Cycling to Gero from Inuyama in northern Aichi tomorrow if, by any chance, anyone's interested.

I already know a few of you on here so hello to the people I don't.

Sean.

Alright Sean. I'm sometimes out Shiga way, so we may cross paths at some point in time.

Hello Bawbag,

I'm actually planning a lap of Biwako in April if you're around then.

Hi Sean

So you've finally signed up huh. Took your time huh ;)

@Andy in Tokyo , Sean is the guy who lives near Inuyama that I told you about.

I don't have any plans to head down to Aichi this year but we'll definitely have to ride in the Nagano area together.

Cheers @leicaman, and welcome @nishiki2013. I think we would have met last year if the weather in Nagano hadn't ruined things. My wife's from Inuyama so I'm usually there for at least a few days each year, usually wishing I was climbing those mountains on the other side of the Kisogawa ;).

Hello Bawbag,

I'm actually planning a lap of Biwako in April if you're around then.

Hello from the UK. I set off to do a lap of Biwako a couple of Aprils ago starting from Hikone. I got halfway round & realised that I was bored as it's fairly flat and the scenery doesnt change much so I packed & got the train back. The other thing I remember of that ride is how sodding cold it was. Of course your mileage . . . . I rode from Inuyama up the Kiso river last April, that was much more fun.

Mark - Yep. We'll have to try again this year and plan better.

Andy - I live right in the middle of Inuyama and those mountains on the other side of the river are nearly always part of my longer rides. I quite often leave Inuyama and head off to either Yaotsu, Nakatsugawa, Gujo, or like yesterday, Gero. It's a gorgeous area to ride in. Next time you're here bring the bike. I'll probably see you with Mark sometime in the summer though...

Hi Stanc - Yep. Biwako can be bloody boring if you are alone. The last time I cycled down the west coast, stayed with a friend in Kyoto and then cycled back up the west coast a couple of days later. That was more manageable.
Which side of the river did you ride? The northern side is hillier than the southern side.

Hi Stanc - Yep. Biwako can be bloody boring if you are alone. The last time I cycled down the west coast, stayed with a friend in Kyoto and then cycled back up the west coast a couple of days later. That was more manageable.
Which side of the river did you ride? The northern side is hillier than the southern side.

I am fat & stupid so of course I rode the north side. There was a road closure about 10km past Yaotsu that put me up a (for me) really long, steep climb to the Maruyama bypass. I really enjoyed that ride and would love to do it again. I was aiming to get to Nagiso but stopped at Nakatsugawa. I am back in country in September this year so I might have another go.

I know that area well. That's a decent amount of climbing to get to Nagiso especially on the north side. If you're around in September let me know and we can plan something. Like I said, I'm in the Yaotsu hills every few weeks.

BTW, just re-read my post about Biwako. I actually cycled down the west coast on the first day and up the east coast on the way back, not the west coast for both days as I wrote above. Inuyama - Takashima - Kyoto - Hikone - Inuyama.

I know that area well. That's a decent amount of climbing to get to Nagiso especially on the north side. If you're around in September let me know and we can plan something. Like I said, I'm in the Yaotsu hills every few weeks.

I'm still in the very early planning stages. The three September public holidays sit right in the middle of my trip so I am trying to work out how to deal with them. I will probably bury myself in the countryside somewhere.

Hello! (Your name is strangely familiar. . . .)

Clocked up 8000kms last year and am aiming for 10,000km this year

I'll be lucky to manage that this lifetime. . . .

I first cycled up Mt. Norikura in 2004 (I think) and have *foolishly* been cycling up it every year since.

Whew. That's beyond me.

Hang on a second. (Let me check my reference material.)

I dunno, it might be possible after all.

We had one participant on an electric mamachari try to do Norikura with her kid on the back. Its seems you would need so many batteries, which weigh so much, that the equation is much like an escape velocity problem. Having seen how excited TCC members get about maths problems, I won't overstimulate you with the details. The answer is (always) Rule 5.

Seriously, Norikura is a long climb but it's not so steep. 20 km at 6%. I won't claim it's a doddle, but you can do that if you practice. I've got people much less fit than you up there. You have until, say, 18th July ;-)

http://halffastcycling.com/norikura/

We had one participant on an electric mamachari try to do Norikura with her kid on the back. Its seems you would need so many batteries, which weigh so much, that the equation is much like an escape velocity problem. Having seen how excited TCC members get about maths problems, I won't overstimulate you with the details. The answer is (always) Rule 5.

There must be a better way than exercising. Le pot belge! No, the fuzz will be on the lookout for that. I need to become a man of steel -- or of some heavy metal.

208315.jpg

@microcord, I can highly recommend Norikura. How often does one get to cycle on the highest paved road in Japan?

If you can maintain an average of 6-7 km/h (which is not all that much faster than walking speed -- 4-5 km/h) for about three hours you'll find yourself at the top :)

Going from the height of Japanese summer to seeing snowboarders and skiers (less than 2 km from the top) making good use of the last remains of the snow is always an experience. The views are really nice.

Microcord - Yep, I used to post on your photography blog occasionally. Pretty much gave up following the photography crowd/blogs though as there are far better things to be doing with the time, like training for Norikura again ;-)

As Half-Fast-Mike and Joewein says, it's not *that* hard if you're in reasonable shape. The Gifu side however is pure evil. Proceed up that side with caution (I've foolishly done both the Nagano and the Gifu sides on the same day on more than one occasion).

Back
Top Bottom