What's new

Hello All

theBlob

Bokeh master
Sep 28, 2011
Hi Everyone,

just starting getting into cycling, well in my adult life anyway!

I have a FIscher mountain bike that I bought a few years back and has sat under a cover ever since. But recently has emerged (With only a little rust!) I am looking to start cycling to the office (15km each way) Maybe doesn't sound like a lot when I compare with some of the "beginner" rides i see posted up. But it does to me!

Anyway Looking to get some gear, so any online or shop recomendations would be welcome. I got a light and ordered some road tyres.. next is helmet and gloves...:D

Welcome Sir!

Online you can't go wrongwith Wiggle and thier DHB range of clothing. Very competitively priced and very high quality often having features that other kit has at a much higher price tag.

Shops in Tokyo I would highly recommend Psy! Z in Shinjuku.(http://www.psyz.jp/)

Kobayashi-san has to be the ultimate cycling clothing guru and will happily set you up with everything you need.

Great! Thanks I'll check those places out.

:D

I've been checking out wiggle. Quick question for you guys who have bought from there.

I am 188cm 80kg. Should I be getting L or XL?

Years of living here makes me want to go for the XL but then UK xl is probably very different to Japan Xl

Same build as me then.

It depends on if that weight is fat or muscle :D and if you prefere European style race fit (tight) or more relaxed but I went for XL.

Please note though that dhb has 3 different fits

I suggest going to a local store for your clothing. Then you can make sure of the fitting. Besides , the pricing in Japan especially for Pearl Izumi is about the same as catalog. Also - you can get alot of great 'technical wear' at UniQlO for a fraction of the cost of so called 'cycling gear'.

And beyond that - for just simple cycling jerseys, etc - there are oftentimes sale and discounts on larger sizes (surprisingly) at Y's in Shinjuku and BIC Camera (5th floor). Plus Tokyu Hands in Shibuya also carries quite alot of nice cycling specific gear.

As for your size - in Japan you'd need '3L' typically. 'XL' in Japan is same as 'L' in US or Europe. But it also depends on the brand and the cut. Again, another reason to try the clothing on before you buy.

Oh yeah - since winter is coming - I did spot some cool Jerseys (larger ones) at Cycli in Shinjuku and also there's a funky 2nd hand shop on Omotesandou Bvld crossing near Meiji Dori - uphill from Condomania on the left - they had some 'vintage' Dutch cycling jerseys including a few of the foam type which are super warm. Less than 5000yen.

IMO - Wiggle 'isn't all that' . It's ok for some things, but actually overpriced for many. And the Japanese customs are getting hip to the influx so don't be surprised if you get hit with an additional 10% duty. I use them largely for consumables like tires, tubes, cables and bits and pieces that add up quickly and are light to ship. I did buy some shoes there - but since I am a Diadora dealer (among others) find no reason (or discount) to purchase remotely. If I look around I can usually find similar prdts for same price or lower locally - and I have direct contact with the dealer or distributor for returns / exchanges or warranties without any hassles of reverse shipping half way around the world.

The DHB stuff has great reviews and alot of people are very happy with it. Personally, I prefer the fit of either Shimano or PI 3D so I stick with that. Or Parentini (race bibs). I have some cheap Crane bibs as well and they aren't too bad. In fact I have a set of XXL sitting here (unused) if you're interested.

I've been checking out wiggle. Quick question for you guys who have bought from there.

I am 188cm 80kg. Should I be getting L or XL?

Years of living here makes me want to go for the XL but then UK xl is probably very different to Japan Xl

Clothing sizes

The Blob - love it! I have ordered quite a bit of clothing from Wiggle with very mixed results. I'm 180, 75kg and not much muscle ... and I am a girl so should definitely be in the XL section. The XL dHb stuff was HUGE ... so big I had to send it all back and I definitely go for the relaxed fit look. Sugoi jacket is like a parachute and the sleeves cover my fingers. Combiro shorts - couldn't even get into. Pearl Izumi snug. Sizing definitely depends on brand.

I haven't seen the pearl-izumi brand on wiggle for a while. I'm guessing, but maybe the same as with Brooks a while earlier?

on edit: my summer shorts are two pair of PI 3D neo that I alternate between--they're great! ..and both pair bought at LBS. I think they have some 4D now, and maybe some "pro" thing or another, that I'll have on b'day and xmas lists.

(b'day in about five weeks or so, I'll be 60)

FYI = Ribble now ships to Japan. And they DO carry Brooks - along with many other components that Wiggle does not! http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/

I suggest going to a local store for your clothing. Then you can make sure of the fitting. Besides , the pricing in Japan especially for Pearl Izumi is about the same as catalog. Also - you can get alot of great 'technical wear' at UniQlO for a fraction of the cost of so called 'cycling gear'.

And beyond that - for just simple cycling jerseys, etc - there are oftentimes sale and discounts on larger sizes (surprisingly) at Y's in Shinjuku and BIC Camera (5th floor). Plus Tokyu Hands in Shibuya also carries quite alot of nice cycling specific gear.

As for your size - in Japan you'd need '3L' typically. 'XL' in Japan is same as 'L' in US or Europe. But it also depends on the brand and the cut. Again, another reason to try the clothing on before you buy.

Oh yeah - since winter is coming - I did spot some cool Jerseys (larger ones) at Cycli in Shinjuku and also there's a funky 2nd hand shop on Omotesandou Bvld crossing near Meiji Dori - uphill from Condomania on the left - they had some 'vintage' Dutch cycling jerseys including a few of the foam type which are super warm. Less than 5000yen.

IMO - Wiggle 'isn't all that' . It's ok for some things, but actually overpriced for many. And the Japanese customs are getting hip to the influx so don't be surprised if you get hit with an additional 10% duty. I use them largely for consumables like tires, tubes, cables and bits and pieces that add up quickly and are light to ship. I did buy some shoes there - but since I am a Diadora dealer (among others) find no reason (or discount) to purchase remotely. If I look around I can usually find similar prdts for same price or lower locally - and I have direct contact with the dealer or distributor for returns / exchanges or warranties without any hassles of reverse shipping half way around the world.

The DHB stuff has great reviews and alot of people are very happy with it. Personally, I prefer the fit of either Shimano or PI 3D so I stick with that. Or Parentini (race bibs). I have some cheap Crane bibs as well and they aren't too bad. In fact I have a set of XXL sitting here (unused) if you're interested.

Thanks for the advice, I have trouble here not with width but length for my arms, even the stuff that fits my body doesn't usually fit me in length.

Anyway I am not planning on buying much stuff, And I have some sports undergear that I used under my leathers while racing motorbikes. I guess it will suffice.

I went to Y's the other day and they have a lot of stuff in there. But it seemed a fair bit more expensive than wiggle.

I haven't seen the pearl-izumi brand on wiggle for a while. I'm guessing, but maybe the same as with Brooks a while earlier?

I noticed this as well. P!ssed me off, as was wanting a new pair of the thermafleece tights as my current pair are wearing through...

Back
Top Bottom