Hello Again v2!

Nsylver

Warming-Up
Mar 20, 2012
Oita, Beppu-shi
Well, I have been now living in Beppu, Oita-ken for roughly a year. Now that everything has settled down, I am looking to purchase a road bike, mayble an older steel frame? Nothing too lean mean and serious yet, just something to take out on the random 30 mile ride or so! MY mamachari just is not cutting it for that...I was considering making a purchase off the yahoo auctions page, but my Japanese just is not up to snuff enough yet (same thing with making a purchase from a local shop).

My inseam is roughly 32.3 inches with a height of 6 foot 1 inch on the dot. I would assume a used cycle might be a bit better on the budget, I have roughly 5-6 man to play with, not much. Wondering if anyone lives near me?

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Wondering if anyone lives near me?
Hello Nsylver,

most of us live in the Kanto area, only a couple are elsewhere.

This will work and get you out on the road. I'm sure you'll have fun :)

I rented a road bike with Sora STI recently. The brifters felt just like my 2011 Tiagra ones, which in turn look like a spitting image of my son's 2010 (?) 105 brifters...

It's clever marketing, as it gets people to go up a notch and open their wallet wider, telling themselves something like "oh, I should have at least 105 level" or "Ultegra is the perfect level for training", but what do these labels really mean when a year later it's all different?

Really, they all do a decent job, unless you're out to win races. At the recreational/enthusiast level, it always makes more sense to invest more in your legs than in your bike.

Nsylver

Warming-Up
Mar 20, 2012
Oita, Beppu-shi
Yup, just looking to log some hours in the saddle for awhile. Me and my trusty camera, enjoying the japanese countryside.;)

Hello Nsylver,

most of us live in the Kanto area, only a couple are elsewhere.

This will work and get you out on the road. I'm sure you'll have fun :)

I rented a road bike with Sora STI recently. The brifters felt just like my 2011 Tiagra ones, which in turn look like a spitting image of my son's 2010 (?) 105 brifters...

It's clever marketing, as it gets people to go up a notch and open their wallet wider, telling themselves something like "oh, I should have at least 105 level" or "Ultegra is the perfect level for training", but what do these labels really mean when a year later it's all different?

Really, they all do a decent job, unless you're out to win races. At the recreational/enthusiast level, it always makes more sense to invest more in your legs than in your bike.

Sep 2, 2009
Eric, thanks for the info.

You don't need to put a link back to the thread for users when you post, however. They are not 'idiots'.