What's new

hello! はじめまして!

Alcyone

Warming-Up
Nov 5, 2006
Hello everyone. Just started going on rides out in tokyo. Really enjoying the Tokyo Cycling atmosphere. Right now just riding a cheap folding bike and getting into the sport. About to purchase a more suitable bike for cycling.

Debating flat/dropped handlebars right now. Anyone that can help me choose a good bike for tokyo riding please give me a hand! I'm going back to Y's tomorrow in Akasaka! I spent all evening there only getting more confused!

I used to ride MTB through trails back home, so urban cycling is a totally new environment to me. (Urban environment is new, too!)

Please help me! Let's enjoy cycling together!

Currently looking at
Giant R2, Louis Garneau RSR IV (flat handle) or Bianchi lupo (dropped)

What do you think is better for someone starting to ride a road bike?

Hi there.

It's fun shopping for a bike isn't. I had to make the same choice. I choose a flat bar but now I regret it. I have been suffering from numness in my hands from using the flat bar. :eek:uch: That's after using padded gloves. But I haven't tried bar ends yet. They might help. The drop bar gives you the choice of three hand positions and numness is reduced.

However, the flat bar does handle well, has a nice upright position and is great for shorter journeys. I suppose it depends on how far you are going to travel. This is only from my experience, I'm sure some people love flat bars.:)

Hi Alcyone-san,

Welcome to TCC!:welcome:

Now you are in a most enjoyable time.:D
Currently looking at

Yes, I think they are good bikes. But I have one suggestion.
They are kind of crossbike, so they are equiping components for MTB.
I have crossbike for long days tour, it is very good bike. It is very strong and can carry many bags and is faster than MTB.
But in the city run, I think road bike is better.
In the future when you want to upgrade your componets for faster speed, road bike is better.
It is just my personal opinion.:)

Please enjoy you time to choice your new bike!:D

Hey guys, how do you think?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you which is your decision and seeing you in tour!

So you don't feel left out or in the back of the Peloton as a trailer; you should get a road bike in Japan. It seemed to be the most popular choice bike on our last tour. Especially we ran the last tour pretty quick on the road. You should definitely get a roadie.

Hello everyone. Just started going on rides out in tokyo. Really enjoying the Tokyo Cycling atmosphere. Right now just riding a cheap folding bike and getting into the sport. About to purchase a more suitable bike for cycling.

Debating flat/dropped handlebars right now. Anyone that can help me choose a good bike for tokyo riding please give me a hand! I'm going back to Y's tomorrow in Akasaka! I spent all evening there only getting more confused!

I used to ride MTB through trails back home, so urban cycling is a totally new environment to me. (Urban environment is new, too!)

Please help me! Let's enjoy cycling together!

Currently looking at

hi

welcome to the site. I agree with sora and the others, get yourself a road bike. If you are coming on any serious rides, a ride bike is the thing. Also if you are in tokyo you do not need a mountain bike, believe me!

looking forward to seeing you out with us

Ash

Hi Alcyone,

welcome aboard! :welcome:

I have to concur with the rest of the team: a road bike all the way! I'm using a flat bar hybrid bike for touring, but in order to effectively dodge pedestrians, taxis and trucks in Tokyo's asphalt jungle I strongly recommend dropdown bars. :)

I think I have chosen to either get the Bianchi Lupo
or the Giant OCR 2 or 3.

Drop bars are new to me, but should be alright after a day of なれる time.

The Lupo is more cyclocross oriented, the GIANT is more road oriented.

Either way, I think I'm leaning towards the Giant. It's more in my price range with options and seems good if I want to upgrade parts later.

hope to see you all out there!

OCR_3_wht_ble.jpg

dark blue for me, light blue for the lady :)
Is matching cycles totally lame?

Nice choice for a bike would be the Giant. Nice color and please stay within your price range! I have seen people on overpriced bikes that are getting passed by mama charinko's.....95% rider, 5% bike!

I think I have chosen to either get the Bianchi Lupo
or the Giant OCR 2 or 3.

Drop bars are new to me, but should be alright after a day of なれる time.

The Lupo is more cyclocross oriented, the GIANT is more road oriented.

Either way, I think I'm leaning towards the Giant. It's more in my price range with options and seems good if I want to upgrade parts later.

hope to see you all out there!

OCR_3_wht_ble.jpg

dark blue for me, light blue for the lady :)
Is matching cycles totally lame?
ブルーのフレームかっこいいですね。:D
Nice choice for a bike would be the Giant. Nice color and please stay within your price range! I have seen people on overpriced bikes that are getting passed by mama charinko's.....95% rider, 5% bike!
I extremely agree with Shay-san!

Hello Alcyone,
My name is Travis, but if you look at my "quickname", you'll see that you won't be the only one on the the road riding a Giant.
Mine's aluminium, so it's not as light as carbon; but not too far off the mark - only 8.5kg.
As for "95% rider, 5% bike", that's spot on!
And definitely go the drop handles - If you need なれる time, it will only be in remembering where the brakes are. When I was still in MTB mode, I found I was grabbing thin air when I really wanted to slow down... Believe me! You'll figure that out at the first set of traffic lights!
But once you're used to it, you'll be rocking!
Also, hope you can make the Tokyo Cycling Show ride this Saturday, 18th.
The more, the merrier!
Good luck with the Giant! T

Back
Top Bottom