What's new

Heavy duty rack - suggestions?

CoffinDodger

Speeding Up
Dec 4, 2008
I am officially fed up with carrying gear on my back. what I need is something that can hold 2 or 3 lighting stands on each side, plus a platform to fit a bagload of gear.

Are we talking custom built, or is there something available off the shelf? The overall weight of the gear might only be 25kgs.

Old Man Mountain.

Check 'em out, and if you are interested I can fit you up with a used one.

But what kind of bike/eyelets/mounts?

I am officially fed up with carrying gear on my back. what I need is something that can hold 2 or 3 lighting stands on each side, plus a platform to fit a bagload of gear.

Are we talking custom built, or is there something available off the shelf? The overall weight of the gear might only be 25kgs.

What are you riding now? Rack mounts and stuff?

cannondale badboy disc

I will jump out in a moment and take a look at which we have to mount to

Here is the set up I helped Tim G put on his bike that he has used to cycle all the way through Japan, Korea and will be going from Cairns to Melbourne soon.....

badboy_tour_2.jpg

and some close ups....

badboy_tour_3.jpg

The rear racks are very nice and went on fairly easily even though this bike has only fender lugs, nothing for racks.

badboy_tour_6.jpg

The front rack was a bit more work, the problem, as I saw it, was the lack of a lug on the middle of the fork. I do have a riv-nut tool which is like a pop rivet tool, except you are left with a threaded insert in stead of just a pop rivet, so maybe we could have just drilled a hole in the fork and filled it with a riv-nut but.... :confused: so the "Fork Clamp" accessory kit was bought for the front rack. Basically it was two small tabs and two pipe clamps :eek:
My problem with this set up is that those pipe clamps strip easy, and if the clamp slips on the fork, the fork gets smaller as it goes down, so any slipping at all and the clamp will not be holding on anymore. I came up with the idea of putting a strut between the bottom bolt point and the point where the upper piece of the rack should bolt onto the fork. This way the clamp part cannot slide down the fork, and the pipe clamp does not have to carry the weight, instead it acts mainly to hold the rack into the side of the fork. The strut is the silver piece. I think it worked out well!

I believe the brand is Tubus...?
Cheers!

Here's heavy duty rear:

C600a.jpg

One good point is the second, lower rail. It allows the pans to clip on slightly lower than they otherwise would (lower CoG) and also a few cm further back, giving better heel clearance.

Back
Top Bottom