What's new

Heat

Wolfman

Speeding Up
Jul 31, 2007
I was just reading on the news that 21,000 people have been hospitalized and 98 died as a result of heatstroke between 31 May and 1 August.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/...o-hospitals-for-heat-stroke-nationwide-98-die

Although I can imagine that most of these people will have been elderly, and while there sometimes tends to be a bit of an anti-risk or panic culture in Japan, I reckon some caution in this heat might be wise.

I took a bad turn on one ride last year, and nearly dropped on a ride on sunday as well. In an attempt to get used to the heat a bit I've since turned the aircon off in my office so I can get used to sweating a bit (believe me, i'm sweating). I doubt this will be enough though.

Anyway, take care chaps.

Yeah the heat nearly wiped me out last week... its alot better now, though, and eating alot of capsicum (pepper) will help drop your core temp (according to NHK special). Plus , a light cloth against your skin to help absorb and disperse sweat also helps reduce muscle temp. (Why its not such a great idea to go 'bare' in the summer) And the Burningman Adage - 'Piss Clear'

If you head out early and make it into the mountains before it gets really hot, riding in summer can be quite fine. Important to get up onto some real altitude (i.e. above 1,000m, ideally much higher) and to try and do climbs in narrow valleys with water running close to the road covered by trees. Tom and I did basically just that last Saturday, and it was quite pleasant. The ride itself was tough, but not because of the heat. More on Tom's blog.

Where did / do you ride? I gave up and am now in Aomori. 10 degrees cooler, lots of water, no cars, no buildings...

I'm super excited for tohoku! Though generally I'm one who doesn't mind the heat too much.
Wearing sunscreen makes a big difference in if I get sunstroke and of course water water water. And salt. I'm eating tons of umeboshi these days.

But I've also only turned on my air con at home once. I'm sweaty a lot too but maybe it does help tolerance?

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate thats the #1 rule in this weather. In the tour this year 1 rider reported that he was drinking 1 litre per 10km ridden durring the hottest days.

Also putting a small pinch of salt in you water bottle will work wonders. Stay clear of sugery drinks like Pocari or Dakara, you basically want pure water with some mineral replacements.

Another trick is to get some dry frozen ice (Not Dry Ice) and put it under your helmet or cycling cap (Old School riders would use cabbage leaves) this will keep the temp constant around your head and will keep the blood cool.

Finally don't wipe the sweat off, sweat is a natural collant and leaving it on the skin will allow you to cool faster.

Another trick is to get some dry frozen ice (Not Dry Ice) and put it under your helmet or cycling cap (Old School riders would use cabbage leaves) this will keep the temp constant around your head and will keep the blood cool.

Runs to the store buying cabbage, field salad, broccoli... (because I'm old-school)
And cauliflower might also save you from wearing a helmet!

I remember the fans of the Grande Tours of olden times passing out cabbage to the riders on the climbs and newspapers on the summit. Those were the days (for educated vegetarians);)

Welcome, Kori will be up here on the weekend and Thomas a week tomorrow.

Darn! I'm returning to Tokyo tomorrow morning... wish I could spend the whole summer up here - maybe I'll just arrange to come back and stay. Have a huge house (inlaws) and its right on the Apple Road. Spoiled by the easy access to thousands of kilometers of awesome roads! I really wanted the time to get out to Lake Towada.

Stay clear of sugary drinks like Pocari or Dakara, you basically want pure water with some mineral replacements.
Why? I'm genuinely interested.

I find I can ride faster, harder, stronger, longer, with Aquarius than with water. In the summer I fill one bottle with ice cubes and top it up with Aq. This is just right for me as I like it more diluted than they sell it. Second bottle is frozen solid overnight, and thaws out to become drinkable as the ride progresses.

Of course this means I have to extra care to avoid moldy bottles. That tangy fungus taste is not conducive to enjoyable cycling.

--HF Mike--

Its all about how fast your body can absorb the liquids, the sugars and other ingridents found in these sports drinks reduces the rate of water absorption so cells don't get hydrated very quickly as you body needs to process the other elements in the liquids first.

Also for your body to digest these other ingredients it requires water to do so thus reducing the amount of liquids used in the muscle and body tissue.

HIGH5 actaully informed me that for races and training rides in the current heat that I should be reducing the amount of Carb drink powder by 50 to 75% or better still use the Salt/Isotonic mineral replacement tablets and alternate between pure water and mix.

Interesting article from Sports coach -- http://www.brianmac.co.uk/drinks.htm I find that straight water, while refreshing, does tend to cause bloating and cramps compared to something with electrolytes. Though the off the shelf bottles tend to be far too sweet for my taste. Would be nice to have a simple receipe for the isotonic, hyper and hypotonic drinks and just make ur own. Probably alot cheaper too. I've already started this with gel - I'm using Aloe gel as the base, then adding in pure Karo Syrup, liquid Calcium, 1500mg BCAA and a 1/4 crushed Magnesium supplement.

Simple Recipe for Tim: Citric ACID + pinch of salt !

Tim, I put straight citric acid in my bottles with a pinch of salt.

You can get the citric acid at drugstore chains like SUN DRUG - it is rather inexpensive, ask for plain, unsweetened "kuensan" クエン酸. It is sold in small sachets or just the plain powder in a jar (even cheaper).

The taste is very sour depending on how much acid you put inside - the trick is to keep the concentration high enough it is still drinkable. It helps me get rid of cramps during faster & longer rides especially on hot days like today. Oh, I also swallow 2 iron pills "the day before"...

Cheers,

Tom

Interesting article from Sports coach -- http://www.brianmac.co.uk/drinks.htm I find that straight water, while refreshing, does tend to cause bloating and cramps compared to something with electrolytes. Though the off the shelf bottles tend to be far too sweet for my taste. Would be nice to have a simple receipe for the isotonic, hyper and hypotonic drinks and just make ur own. Probably alot cheaper too. I've already started this with gel - I'm using Aloe gel as the base, then adding in pure Karo Syrup, liquid Calcium, 1500mg BCAA and a 1/4 crushed Magnesium supplement.

Great! Thanks for the advise - I will try it this weekend for sure.

Interesting article from Sports coach -- Would be nice to have a simple rec...rmal amount turns it into a Hypertonic drink.

added advantage

You're most welcome.

After your ride and if there is still some of that cocktail :rolleyes: left in the bottle, use it to remove the grime from your frame. Works great both on carbon and steel.

Great! Thanks for the advise - I will try it this weekend for sure.

(PS: do keep in mind though that this stuff can be a bit nasty on teeth enamel...)

Scotch

I always knew:
"Tom is Iron Man"​

Now I know why :D

Besides iron and endorphin, I also down quite a bit of Scotch these days...always wanted to ask you Alan, what's your favorite Scotch whisky :warau: ? My own favorite is Laphroaig Quarter Cask....double cask matured and non-chill filterered of course - and bottled at 48%vol. strength...love this stuff !!!

Back
Top Bottom