headsets for Chinarello

kubatyszko

Speeding Up
Jul 29, 2012
Shinagawa, Tokyo
Hi there,

So I started collecting parts to assemble my next bike
(standard cheap carbon road frame off ebay etc etc)

The frame comes with a headset included, but I'm planning on using a better one.
It seems to be pretty standard 1 1/8 and 1.5 tapered head tube,
frame is on the way (and I'm in China this week anyway), so I can't look at the headset and buy something that will match,
I assume most of headsets will work, but I wonder whether it's possible that height/depth of the press cups might be an issue.

I thought of buying FSA Orbit 1.5 ZS No.57 or something similar.

Cheers

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Is it a Pinarello clone or another frame - becareful how you word it as very good Chinarello frames come with oversized headsets and others actually come with or a designed to take the actual Pinarello unique headset.

Also you might want to hold off purchasing a headset as majority come with NECO headsets which are actually in fact FSA headsets and use very good sealed bearings - both my Champion System frames came with NECO headsets and I kept the bearings and switched out the compression cup for something a little more bling bling.

My CX headset went through the mill this season, Sand, Mud, Snow and got seriously abused to boot - after stripping it down last weekend for storage and looking at the headset there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. My road bike has some serious milliage in it and again no need to switch out the headset.

For the record - Neco headset bearings are actually better quality than official Pinarello bearings and I've switched out all my Pinarello's headset bearings for these.

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
I've got most of them in stock, btw. 2nd that of FE - we use NEKO and it's OE for many many brand frames. The only downside is that they are std steel and may corrode a bit (like any other bearing, in fact). If you want something more corrosion resistant, then get a Cane Creek 'black' bearing set or Enduro. Personally I just smear the bearing with some teflon grease and then spray it with Boeshield or CRC Rustguard. They'll last years that way.

Jun 9, 2011
tokyo
don't guess or make assumptions with integrated headsets. even with "standard" sizes like campy or ISO there can be subtle differences and incompatibilities. if you can't get a detailed spec from the manufacturer it's best to try a few different bearing sizes to make sure you end up with the best fit.

kubatyszko

Speeding Up
Jul 29, 2012
Shinagawa, Tokyo
Is it a Pinarello clone or another frame - becareful how you word it as very good Chinarello frames come with oversized headsets and others actually come with or a designed to take the actual Pinarello unique headset.

Also you might want to hold off purchasing a headset as majority come with NECO headsets which are actually in fact FSA headsets and use very good sealed bearings - both my Champion System frames came with NECO headsets and I kept the bearings and switched out the compression cup for something a little more bling bling.

My CX headset went through the mill this season, Sand, Mud, Snow and got seriously abused to boot - after stripping it down last weekend for storage and looking at the headset there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. My road bike has some serious milliage in it and again no need to switch out the headset.

For the record - Neco headset bearings are actually better quality than official Pinarello bearings and I've switched out all my Pinarello's headset bearings for these.
Thanks, this is a good reply, the frame is actually not the pinarello clone but more of a standard one,
I *think* this is the one (but you never know with chinese frames): http://flyxii.com/products_1.asp?menuid=308&id=1088

Well, I thought of just holding back and looking at the actual headst, since it's equal to FSA I might just keep it.
My concern was the quality - but if you're saying they are good I might just keep it.

Thanks