Headset chuck cone fall inside fork

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
I managed to let the chuck cone of my Ahead headset fall into the fork (carbon). It seems that I can only pull it back when its in a certain position, which I am unable to get it in just by shaking the fork :eek:.

Any recommendations? :eek:uch::eek:uch:

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Japan
What kind of aheadset and what exactly is a chuck cone? I have installed a heap of headsets but never have seen a chuck cone, or at least didn't know what it was called. Is it one of the rings that fell into the steerer tube? If that is what it is then I wouldn't panic, we'll think of something but don't try and push it out cause you'll just jam it in. Hang tight.

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
remove fork from bike, remove brake calliper from fork - flip upside down and bang down on hard surface such as wood to dislodge the wedge.

Malte

Maximum Pace
Sep 26, 2011
Tokyo
I could fix it :), sorry for my bad explanation though.

I attached a pictures of the pieces that I meant.
The cone (piece that sits on the screw) had fallen inside the fork. The metal ring was siting on the inside of the fork wall, preventing the cone from coming out again. After removing the metal ring (first I didn't know that it could be removed) the cone felt out and I could reassemble everything.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1198&d=1349445083