What's new

head for the hills

echothree

Speeding Up
Sep 8, 2008
My bike has emerged from its intercontinental chrysalis, shaken away tatters of bubble-wrap and is now ready and raring to attack some Tokyo hills.

Anyone up for a jaunt this saturday (23rd)? The forecast is 'mostly cloudy' but I'm guessing you can't put too much stock into such promises. In any case, I'm keen to get out there and take a beating from the mountains (well, in the figurative sense, not in the literal this time.)

I'm not sure of the best route, but I guess starting somewhere near Hon-Atsugi would be good...?

clay

Glad to have you back, Clay.

I'm up for some Hon-Atsugi action. I have to work in the evening, though, so an earlier start would work well for me. (I could also peel off earlier.)

One idea is Mike's patented Miyagase Loop? Mike, this was the last ride we did together. Clay, this is the one where you had some train "issues."

But I'm up for anything.

Deej

I notice the sun is up very early in these parts so yep, let's get into it before it gets too warm.
I've learnt my lessons with that train... don't get the local, it takes twice as long. :)

Hi Clay & Deej,

Thanks for a great day out in the hills. I enjoyed every moment :) Deej, thanks for the exciting route with two major new sections never before ridden by a TCC'er, your enthusiasm and wit. Clay - you are a cycling God :pray: I suggest we visit Matsuhime next week to collect Mike's record ;)

Deej, I passed your house around 15:10 - I am guessing I got back to Tokyo before you and your rinko :rolleyes:

Philip

Turns out I'm not the king

Well crud, I just wrote a ride report, only to lose it when I hit the "preview" button.

Philip, Clay -- thanks for the wonderful outing today. Like Philip, I enjoyed every minute of it, even the painful minutes (and there were quite a few).

Clay, truly impressive form today. Your accelerations left me stupefied and Deejinated.

While I have been crowing about my recent time of 35:07 on Kazahari-rindo (from the intersection, not the switchback), Clay proceeded to bang out a first ascent in a sizzling 29:30. We're talking different leagues here. Wow. After that display, I didn't feel so bad for sucking Clay's wheel the entire way back to Takao.

And guys, sorry for leading us up a promising "secret" pass (Kazuma Pass, or Deej's Folly, if you prefer) that ended in dirt and rocks! Still, we made it to our destination without having to dismount, and the ascent was very nice. Has anyone out there ever attempted this shortcut to Kazahari-rindo?

Man, I was a bit run-down today. This was my eighth straight weekend in the mountains, starting with the Okumusashi Madness ride on April 4. I'm going to take next weekend off and hopefully return a little fresher.

For those interested, we did a last-minute switch and ended up riding closer to home. Our ride included the following climbs: Odarumi -- Jimba Onsen Rindo -- Kobu Tunnel -- Kazuma Pass -- Kazahari-rindo. We had planned to return over the Kobu Tunnels again then hit Wada-toge, but we ended up going home via Musashi-Itsukaichi due to time contraints.

Oh, and Philip, you beat me home! I rolled up to my door at 3:45 after grabbing a couple groceries.

Thanks again, guys!

Deej

Thanks fellas for the ride, had a great time... but don't be deceived into thinking it was easy for me! I was pushing 92-95%MHR up Kazahari-rindo, there wasn't much left in the tank. Feels good to be back in the hills, though. And Mike, I have your precious Matsuhime in my sights! :D
Edit: HR data for climb below = close to death. ;)
kazahari.JPG

Thanks for the report guys, loved reading it. What's this banter about beating my Matsuhime time? Last time if my memory serves me correctly I left you in my dust Clay:rolleyes:
Seriously, with a sub 30 minute time up Kazahari Rindo I'm sure you'll have a good chance of topping my hall of fame time, although keep in mind it's a different beast. With my fitness ATM I won't be competitive until at least July so goodluck to you mate:D

Fujiwara-touge

Has anyone out there ever attempted this shortcut to Kazahari-rindo?

I tried this route last week. It certainly does make an interesting alternative route to Kazuma instead of directly out Hinohara kaido. However, you need an MTB as there's 1.5km of dirt road which is pretty stoney in sections. See Fujiwara - Kazuma MTB for GPS data - the off-road is from 32.2km to 33.7km of this route. I did it from the Fujiwara side and expected only a little climbing from the turn off from the main road up to the mushroom farm. There was still quite a climb from there to the pass (Fujiwara-touge) though, including all of the off-road section. The final descent to Kazuma is very steep and paved - good training for Fuji-Azami to climb this section from Kazuma to Fujiwara-touge!

-Denis

However, you need an MTB as there's 1.5km of dirt road which is pretty stoney in sections.

Hey Denis. Actually, we (Philip, Clay and myself) rode this on our road bikes. We did the paved section first and descended -- very carefully but without dismounting -- via the dirt/gravel road. As you suggested, it would have been impossible to climb the rocky section on road bikes.

I had "reconned" it via satellite prior to the ride and told the boys that if they were willing to take a gamble on a potentially treacherous road, I new an interesting shortcut to Kazahari rindo from Kazuma. They agreed to give it a shot, so we checked it out. The climb was great, and I was congratulating myself on "pioneering" a new route until we crested the hill and came upon the rocks.

Still, it made for an, um, refreshing change of pace...:)

Deej

P.S. Clay, if you're reading this, I'm not ignoring your awesome record-shattering displays on Otoge and Matsuhime. It's just that my chiropractor finally got me out of the fetal position, so I can write now. I will respond to that thread soon!

That bit of gravel wasn't too bad on the descent, maybe next time we should give it a go in the rain and mud...?
And yes Deej, you have been very quiet. Did my time up Otoge cause you to curl in the aforementioned fetal position, from which you haven't been able to escape for a week? A fair enough reason I guess, seeings as the core of your ego has been shattered. :p

Back
Top Bottom