What's new

He who gets some sleep

Mike

Maximum Pace
Sep 24, 2007
OK TCC warriors, after my pathetic performance last week of abandoning Ludwig because I couldn't sleep I'd like to try this ride again. In my defense I did get 160km in that day, just not this ride. Anyway, it'd be great to have some company.

Uenohara - Tsusru Toge - Imakawa Toge - Yanagisawa Toge - Kimihikawa Toge - Sasago Toge - Uenohara. (154km - 4000m ascent)

As Ludwig pointed out, we shouldn't have to leave that early:D So I'm thinking of a 9am start from Uenohara 7-11, just near the junction of R20/R33. Any Takers?

Sergey, does your schedule look better this Saturday?
Ludwig, would you like to try take 2?
Philip....can I bring you out of hybernation?
Clay..where are you?
James....are you racing?
Alan...are you back from the Pyrenees?.....so jealous.
Deej.....a quick one in before Ironsword #3 pops out?

Any other warriors with pace are welcome to join:D

Mike, thanks for the invite, but racing this weekend in Gunma.

Mike that is my favorite loop ! :) Good luck guys ! I have done this loop too frequently lately though and will instead try to cycle to Gunma Prefecture (home -> Chichibu -> 299 to Shigasaka-toge -> 210 -> 140 -> Chichibu -> home) on one of the coming long WE days - preferably Saturday.

OK TCC warriors, after my pathetic performance last week of abandoning Ludwig because I couldn't sleep I'd like to try this ride again. In my defense I did get 160km in that day, just not this ride. Anyway, it'd be great to have some company.

Uenohara - Tsusru Toge - Imakawa Toge - Yanagisawa Toge - Kimihikawa Toge - Sasago Toge - Uenohara. (154km - 4000m ascent)

As Ludwig pointed out, we shouldn't have to leave that early:D So I'm thinking of a 9am start from Uenohara 7-11, just near the junction of R20/R33. Any Takers?

Sergey, does your schedule look better this Saturday?
Ludwig, would you like to try take 2?
Philip....can I bring you out of hybernation?
Clay..where are you?
James....are you racing?
Alan...are you back from the Pyrenees?.....so jealous.

Any other warriors with pace are welcome to join:D

Tom

Tom, I kind of guessed you'd be on a solo mission this weekend. Goodluck with your ride too. James, get a win mate. I hope someone will join me on this one:confused:

Tim and I were planning to be at Uenohara 0900am on Saturday. So, might like to join you for a while. Seems like a good loop. Very similar to what we were planning.

Tim and I were planning to be at Uenohara 0900am on Saturday. So, might like to join you for a while. Seems like a good loop. Very similar to what we were planning.

That sounds great. Which way are you guys planning on heading?

I am in, Mike.
The schedule is sorted out - no probs :bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

I am in, Mike.
The schedule is sorted out - no probs :bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike::bike:

Wo Hooo! Glad to have you along Sergey:D Can't wait for this one as I was so disappointed about last weekend.

Man, I would love to, but it's looking like Ironsword #3 may be making an appearance before then. Like tonight!

But as I mentioned to you earlier today, I'm looking to get in a couple long ones in August. I'll definitely give you a heads up. Reading all your posts about your battles in the hills has got my competitive juices flowing again. BTW, have you bested my Wada times yet? :) I'd be curious to see if you could top my 21:58 on the west side now that you've been riding like a maniac. I'm betting you can.

Deej

Man, I would love to, but it's looking like Ironsword #3 may be making an appearance before then. Like tonight!

But as I mentioned to you earlier today, I'm looking to get in a couple long ones in August. I'll definitely give you a heads up. Reading all your posts about your battles in the hills has got my competitive juices flowing again. BTW, have you bested my Wada times yet? :) I'd be curious to see if you could top my 21:58 on the west side now that you've been riding like a maniac. I'm betting you can.

Deej

Crikey! Ironsword #3 might be making an early appearance? Best of luck Deej and hope to see some pics of the new arrival in August;)

I'll join as well Mike, its been a while.

....must buy power gels on the way home....

Mike,
We are back from Europe but will be riding some new routes this weekend north of Fuji-san.
Have a good one and look forward to riding with you soon.

Alan.

Mike,
We are back from Europe but will be riding some new routes this weekend north of Fuji-san.
Have a good one and look forward to riding with you soon.

Alan.

Clay, I think you're a man who loves his secret training. Enjoy you're riding this weekend;) Alan, no worries mate and see you in August sometime after my trip. Andy, nice to have you along for this one mate.

So far for full loop:

Andy_W
Mike
Sergey

And Nadrew and Tim doing a similar loop but probably only joining us for a very short stint, especially if one of you is coming on a fixie. I almost put no fixies on this thread, sorry fixie dudes and even though I'm sure you may beg to differ, this ride aint for those kinds of bikes.

OK so the weather is looking good. See you tomorrow at 9am at the 7-11 between the junctions of R20/R33 and R20/R30.

Sorry we didn't make it out to Uenohara by 9am. Got a bit of a late start. Hope you all enjoyed the ride.

Andy

What a day!

Thanks Andy_W, Sergey and Philip (with your brief but fast paced domestique like appearance) for a great ride today, that sure is one tough loop especially in the sweltering heat. My computer seems to think that the days hottest temperature was 44 c on the road. Last time I did this loop there was snow in some sections, especially going up Kamihikawa toge.

Happy to say the old Sergey/Mike rivalry was in full swing today as we contested every toge, with Andy close behind. Thankfully we agreed to a tempo truce up Tsuru Toge with a final 50m dash for the honours over the top as I don't think I would've made the entire ride if I'd been forced to go for it with 5km to go. That sure is one steep and long climb with almost no shade.

The funniest thing to happen today was an attack by Sergey up Sasago Toge. With a brick wall insight and thinking it was the tunnel at the top he let go with a mighty attack. Thinking that he may be right and not wanting to lose the final climb of the day I gave chase. After realizing his mistake and that it was still a few km's to go I'm sure his screams were heard back down in the valley at the 7-11 from where we had come. Having spent all his energy I was forced to counter attack and got the honours, albeit painfully.

Have to say the Yanagisawa Toge descent is probably the best I've ever done, especially today as there was zero wind as we passed over those amazing bridges. Stunning scenery and I tried to appreciate it at speeds up to 70km/h. Also the Descent coming off Kamihikawa was great. Technical and damned fast. At the 7-11 on R20 we joked about how difficult but exhilirating that descent was and about the 'traps' that could've caused our donwfall.

The first one was boy with a massive butterfly net that he was waving around dangerously as we sped by. Seriousy though, was that really a butterfly net? It was huge! I almost yelled out to him to trap that guy on the Cervelo but thought better of it;)

The second one was some nasty gravel on a hairpin corner with a grate just after. Apparently it almost got all 3 of us! But alas it was not to be. We conquered 5 toges today and sped down them as fast as humanly possible on 2 wheels. Adventure at it's best, with fabulous scenerey and great comapny. Thanks guys and what a day! This goes down as one of most memorable rides.

190km for me today, with 3900m of climbing:confused:

Nice one! Sorry I could not join - am on my way to cycling in a less humid environment :)

Back
Top Bottom