What's new

Help Have you lived in Japan over ten years? Do you have 10 minutes for a questionnaire?

Musashi13

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
I was asked by a friend of a friend and I thought I would throw it out there for some more.

Greg O'Keefe said:
A researcher from Kyushu University is looking for long term (over 10 years) foreign residents in Japan to take part in a study on integration styles. The study will cover English native speakers as well as English speakers from European countries. The questionnaire is going to be used to correlate life satisfaction (LS) of the target group with several variables including Japanese level, cultural fit and personality types. It should take between 10-15 minutes.

Hopefully this questionnaire will help create a clear image of how foreign residents adapt and integrate into life in Japan while moving away from media stereotypes. There is also a chance to comment freely at the end of the questionnaire as well as request an interview for future research.

If you feel you could spare the short time it takes to fill out the form and email it back to him send me a PM with your preferred email address and I will forward it on to him or if you like I can give you his address for you to contact him directly.

Thanks

No idea how to send you a PM on here, but the chance to comment freely made me laugh.

So much self-deprecation in one post, smashing.

There will be a web link soon for those of you too shy to contact me.
Thanks for the great response so far, the prof is touched.

>> The study will cover English native speakers as well as English speakers from European countries.

No asian? Just curious. :) this seems like 'North American or European'.

>> The study will cover English native speakers as well as English speakers from European countries.

No asian? Just curious. :) this seems like 'North American or European'.

Prof said:
If the person was born and raised in as a native English speaker or is from Europe and speaks English but happens to be Asian they would most definitely fit the criteria. People from Asian countries have many studies to date about them. The group that I am searching for is rarely studied and often clumped together with other studies that miss the point. The group I am studying do not have the full on discrimination problems or economic problems of many Asian countries. This is more about cultural integration of people from Low Context Cultures entering and living in a High Context Culture (Japan).

Hope that clears it up.

For those who contacted me recently the prof is putting the final touches on the online version and will send you the link when it is ready. I may post it here if he says that's good but it aint my decision.

Hope that clears it up.

Er, hmm. A "native English speaker or [someone who] is from Europe and speaks English" is, we learn, from a "Low Context Culture".

I've often read dribs and drabs about positioning along a scale of high/low context culture, and the concept of "contextness" of a national culture has never seemed convincing. Here is an unexceptional "explanation" of the difference. It merely asserts, backing this up with an anecdote of how some unidentified Japanese manager "explained" his culture's communication style to an unidentified American. (Whoever said it, this "explanation" is obvious poppycock.) Anyway, the (rather feeble) Wikipedia article on the matter (which also presents mere assertions, and whose only direct references are to business texts) hazily attributes to a 1986 study a labeling of the cultures of the southern US, France, Italy, Spain and more as low context, though imaginably they were indeed so back then and have simply changed within the last 28 years.

I'll (politely!) sign up for the study once I'm back from a little trip to Yurp. Though my own "life satisfaction" oscillates rapidly, e.g. between when I'm panting uphill and when I'm freewheeling downhill.

i did the on-line survey today. It was good but I think a section or question about the stupidly short product life of potato chip flavors would have been quite insightful. That's all.

@microcord Something to do with Hofstede blah blah blah.

not my study, not my concern

I'll give you his email and you can thrash it out with the man himself if you wish. He says, though, it's enough to put anyone to sleep.

Lived in Japan long? A friend doing research is looking for western foreign residents who: (1) Are living in Japan consistently (not cumulative) for over 10 years and were not active military during that time and (2) Are a Native English speaker or a European who can fill out this English based survey. Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/3SFLWZL

The web version is live for those of you too shy to contact me;)

Back
Top Bottom