What's new

Have Bike Bag Will Travel!

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
I bought myself a Bike Bag, I did not buy the most expensive one, nor the cheapest one, I got the Ostrich L-100....

Ostrich-L100.jpg

The red one (only color they had in stock) so now I'll be looking for rides I can train it to and avoid all the "fun" of dodging Tokyo Traffic :rolleyes: :D

I think this will also let me attempt some rides that I may not be able to do the whole thing, and bail if I bonk or blow up :eek:

Call me a fool or a whuss, but I like the idea of taking the train far out of Tokyo, riding a nice 100Km ride on nice uncrowded roads, then taking the train back to Tokyo, and enjoying a nice cold beer :D

Any suggestions for such a ride will be eagerly accepted! :bike:

Cheers!

Sounds good Stu. Hope it is big enough for you. Just looks like they have a wheel in there in the demo photo. Looking forward to the day I can go on my first TCC group ride...

Sounds good Stu. Hope it is big enough for you. Just looks like they have a wheel in there in the demo photo. Looking forward to the day I can go on my first TCC group ride...

I showed the guy in the shop my bike and he said no problem, he has the same bag and it works fine for him.

:D

Same bag I have!
What kind of elevation gain you want in you out-of-Tokyo rides? If none, arakawa up to kumagaya/chichibu, train back if necessary.
The roads just north and south of rt 20 just past Takao are great. Shorter climbs (though some are a bit steep) and really quiet.

Same bag I have!
What kind of elevation gain you want in you out-of-Tokyo rides? If none, arakawa up to kumagaya/chichibu, train back if necessary.
The roads just north and south of rt 20 just past Takao are great. Shorter climbs (though some are a bit steep) and really quiet.

Thanks for that!

I'm still struggling with about an extra 50 pounds of fat, but I am improving daily, getting stronger and working at it, so for now, no mondo climbs, but I won't mind suffering a bit, as long as I an climb, recover and then climb. The never ending climb will leave me coughing up a lung at the side of the road right now :eek:

Cheers!

PS how do you find the bike bag?

I really liked the beginner ride to Tomin no Mori the other day. I know Stu isn't up for that climb (or so he claims) but the roads out that way were beautifully traffic free. If there's a loop around there that's a bit hilly and maybe a hundred, hundred fifty km, I'd love to know about it. The only part that ain't fun is the traffic. I'd be all for starting a bit further out from Tokyo, riding a good long distance, hitting a pub for some beers, and then taking the train home. I'd absolutely do that back up Tomin no Mori, but If we want to be more inclusive and take a few more beginners with us, maybe a route that's hilly, but not quite so hilly, would be a good compromise.

I was using the bag pretty much every weekend with my carbon Six for a while but the Six is back in the states and I have my steelie commuter here (long story) and it's about 2-3 kilos heavier... Making it a pain to carry around. So I'm now more likely to ride out and spend more time in transit and less fighting mountains. Go figure--different things are fun on different bikes.

I love the bag and feel it was worth every yen. No tears or problems after 10,000km of use.

Takao to Doshi Michi up to Yamanakako is a great ride. Up to the EkinoMichi it isn't too much of a grade... But endless downhill returning. Well, sorta endless.

Akiyama which runs parallel isn't too hard, but I seem to remember kinda uninspiring scenery. Return by rt20 is rewarding if you don't have bad traffic.

Stu - I am absolutely in total agreement. A friend dragged me out to Sagamiko and the ride home included 45km sandwiched between cars and the kerb. I vowed NEVER again!!

I really like these rides around Ogose. Don't look at the times - on the first my friend stopped every few metres to take pics to prove to his wife he could do it! The hills are very doable. If you get on the back of the Tobu Tojo Line the change at Sakado (45 mins from Ikebukuro) is seamless and then a further 15 minutes to Ogose which has a nice outdoor area to reassemble bike. A friend lives in Sakado and has dragged me back the 10k or so a couple of times - traffic lights and cars the whole way. I really prefer a beer and an extra 15 minutes on the train.

These routes can be joined together and a million other options taking you over to the Seibu Line.

http://runkeeper.com/user/Isobel/activity/19868173

http://runkeeper.com/user/Isobel/activity/4793710

Sunday is your only free day? Any weekday? I'd definitely be keen to hook up for a traffic free ride. Looks nice round the Fuji area as well ... had many unfulfilled plans to ride long distances there before Sado next week! :eek:

Also, Narimasu station (10 mins Ikebukuro) is 3km from the Arakawa. If you ever want to meet up there I'd be happy to join you.

... Ignore other activities. My ancient iPhone and RunKeeper had some issues till I finally gave up. Told me I ran 322km one day last week. Tried MotionX but the GPS is still crap. Need the iPhone 5!

Ina Nagano

Im really far from you here in Ina nagano, about 3 to 4 hours by train but sometimes thats just what the doctor ordered when you are living in the city. let me know if you want me to show you some great riding out here Stu~!

Offer extended to any others as well!!
Ina is a cycling Heaven!

Nagano would be great!

Maybe this summer I'll get up there!

I got the bike bag out and stuffed the Cannondale into it...... mostly........

bike_bag_L-100.jpg

I had to take the fenders off, never thought about that, no big deal, but good I tried this at home before I tried it outside the train platform!

I think this will work well, can't wait to have the time to give it a try! :D

Back
Top Bottom