What's new

Have any of you cycled Okinawa

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
If so, can you tell us about campsites and how the terrain is going up north of the island. I'm quite sure now I'll be in Okinawa soon ( I can't say which month yet, but soon ). I'm not on any time schedule so basically just have to watch my daily budget and do some sightseeing ( solo ), camping, stay at a hostel and maybe a few nights in a hotel. Basically just be a beach bum for a while.
I was stationed in Okinawa years ago in the Air Force, so this is also a " memory lane " adventure for me. Hope to share some pictures if I can get the camera to work. Sometimes I can figure it out. Something to do with DCIM ( something like that ).

I could be wrong, but it's my impression that wild camping is much less acceptable on okinawa, compared to the main islands.

I could be wrong, but it's my impression that wild camping is much less acceptable on okinawa, compared to the main islands.
Some sites I found on the net.

I guess that covers them all.

I've been told to bring a rod and reel. I guess I could do some overnight fishing ?

Not much info really when it comes to camping on Okinawa and Miyakojima.

Do you know any videos on You Tube in English for camping there.
I'll also check myself.

So, paid camping, not wild. No problem then.

If you are stealth camping any beach is pretty good but you need to pitch your tent late and pack up early. Best if you can camp off the beach in some protected area. Maybe trying every second or third night at an established camp site will help stretch your dollars.

If you are stealth camping any beach is pretty good but you need to pitch your tent late and pack up early. Best if you can camp off the beach in some protected area. Maybe trying every second or third night at an established camp site will help stretch your dollars.
I know the military families now do a lot of camping. I saw that in Shimane Prefecture. I , of course will be looking for paid sites, but if I have to pitch tent at a temple, shrine or a community center area, I'll do that also.

I think once you have a route then camp sites will become easier to find.

copy and paste 沖縄キャンプ場 into google search then look at maps and if you zoom into an area you will see the sites. You are never more than 20-30 kms from a camp site in Okinawa.

Save the hotel stays for rainy nights maybe?

Attachments

• camp.png
    camp.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
沖縄キャンプ場
Thanks Simon.
Checking the sites out now. I'm a bit surprised at the fee's. They seem to be double what they are here in and around Yamaguchi ken. But then again, its Okinawa and some things I heard are kind of high.
I'm looking forward for this, but as I am planning now, this trip to Okinawa is a possible lay out plan for the future. I've decided to fly out of Fukuoka instead of taking the ferry. Seems to be a lot cheaper also. I feel I'll be going to Donkey Hotei in Okinawa to buy what I need instead of trucking it with me out of Fukuoka. I can buy a bike there for about 10000 yen , give or take a bit. And before leaving, go to Gate 2 at Kadena Air Base and sale what I have. For the first trip there, I actually have a lot more to do then just camping and touring.

Back
Top Bottom