Harvest Burn

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
Katsushika-ku
I ventured out along the Edogawa today but turned back near Noda.
The farmers were burning all the leftovers after reaping their rice.
I've still got a sore throat now and I hesitate to wonder what else was getting released into the atmosphere besides smoke.

Ludwig

Speeding Up
Oct 9, 2008
Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
Tom and I inhaled the smoke of a burning motor bike yesterday. Probably even less healthy. Photo on his blog. Unclear what happened, but pretty sure the bike crashed in a curve. We saw another crashed bike earlier. And the weekend before.

Actually safest these days to avoid the main mountain roads like Tomin no Mori/Kazahari, Yanagisawa. Sooner or later one of them will slide into us. Much more dangerous than burning fields (though I don't want to condone it - it's an antiquated practice banned elsewhere).

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
Bahh, humbug! The smell of napalm and other petros burning is good for you! Especially in the morning. Burning chaff, like forest fires, etc, is combustion under insufficient oxygen environment so it tends to be very dirty in terms of soot, CO, CO2, SOx, formaldehyde, etc. Though you are probably subjected to very low concentrations, it's still irritating. And overall - considering the large number of hectares being burnt, not so great for the environment.

In the old days, farmers used the chaff for many things - like bedding, animal straws, garden mulch, etc. Now they just burn it. Why they don't use it for alternative power generation is beyond me - oh, I forgot - we have nukes! Yey!!!

Tom and I inhaled the smoke of a burning motor bike yesterday. Probably even less healthy. Photo on his blog. Unclear what happened, but pretty sure the bike crashed in a curve. We saw another crashed bike earlier. And the weekend before.

Actually safest these days to avoid the main mountain roads like Tomin no Mori/Kazahari, Yanagisawa. Sooner or later one of them will slide into us. Much more dangerous than burning fields (though I don't want to condone it - it's an antiquated practice banned elsewhere).