What's new

Hard Travel Case

Gregor

Warming-Up
May 29, 2010
I live in Yokosuka. Does anyone know where I can purchase a HARD CASE? I have a Specialized Transition and a Pinerello... both ~56cm. Thanks - Greg

Sagami Cycles in Mitsukiyo is the cheapest I've seen. Around 25,000 JPY.

can lend you mine if you like. You'll have to pay the handling fees to get it sent down there. Rental fee is ¥2,000 to any charity you choose. It is pretty big though. Will take your bike and some spare gear, just watch the weight nazis at the airport though.

I quit taking my bike on airlines after Delta started charging a couple 'man' for the oversized luggage. Pay that money coming and going and you have a good down payment on a decent bike.

Karl.... I've never been charged access for my bike and thats super oversized as well.

I used to not be charged. Then a few years ago, a bit of a charge (50 bucks or so) then last year about 200 bucks. Ouch. I figured at that rate I'll either have to invest in a Bike Friday or use couplers on my old Raleigh so I can get the bike in a regular sized case. This was Delta.... Which airline do you use that doesn't charge for oversized luggage.

JAL
ANA
Emerates
Singapore
Air France
BA
Virgin
Brussels National Carrier

List goes on. I tell them in advance that I will be boarding with a bike and wheel bags plus checkin luggage and hand luggage. Most airlines will allow a bike for free.

Unless they are any of the NA airlines... Most of the US / Canada carriers now have surcharge and strict size limits. BTW - if anyone is serious about couplers - I know a thing or 2 about them, and can get (at least Ti frames) refitted at a reasonable cost. The key is to get your entire kit into a 66x66x10 'box'. That falls just inside the limit of a standard baggage. A wheel w/ mounted tire just makes it as long as you deflate.

I have an old (89) Panasonic steel frame that I've saved from oblivion with the idea in mind that I might add couplers to it and make it my travel bike. Curious what the cost might be to have that done. Do you know a good shop?

Zushi

I live in Yokosuka too, I bought one about 7 years ago at Hirako bicycle shop in Zushi. It is on route 311, close to the train station(s). Not much English spoken in this store, so I just printed a picture of one, took it there and they ordered it for me.

If you need more info, PM me and I can give you detailed directions or other assistance as needed.

It was a good box, but got crushed on my last flight. The box has an 18 inch crack in it, otherwise I would be happy to loan it to you. Bike got scratched, but no real damage. At $200.00 a flight, I am almost at the point of boxing and mailing it ahead. Baggage handlers don't give a damn and get pissed having to load and unload a large 60lb bike box.

Back
Top Bottom