What's new

Hard Shell Travel Case For Bike

aidenlair

Warming-Up
May 3, 2011
Any recommendations for a hard-shell travel case? I have heard good things about the Ironcase by Trico and would appreciate any thoughts on the Ironcase or other options. I live in Tokyo and travel back to the States for a week or so at a time and would like to find a good shipping case.

Thanks!

Iron Case = two thumbs up

I have an Iron Case and have used it many times since I bought it in 2007. It is very solid and still looks like new. And I have had no problems at all with my carbon triathlon bike and race wheels, both on long haul fights and when I have used Takkyubin in Japan.

The only draw back it that it is heavy and more often than not I get hit with an excess baggage charge. But I now just put the bike and wheels in the case for about 20kgs, and put the rest of my gear in my carry on luggage to avoid the charges. (stupid rules)

Not sure if you can buy them here in Japan; I bought mine during a trip to Hawaii.

Keren

Hard Shell

I have two, a TRICO and a TNI. The TNI I got here in Japan from a local store. The TRICO came from the states and was purchased there.

I find the TRICO a little hard to pack. It takes a while to get it closed and strapped. If you have a person to help hold it shut, then the process is much easier. Once packed it is a secure box and no damage has occurred to the contents.

The TNI was easy to get because I ordered it from a local shop. It looks just like a suitcase. This box has protected my bikes, but has not held up real well, or the baggage handlers decided it was open season. One of the wheels broke off and the plastic has a large crack in it.

They both cost about the same, if it was a decision between the two, then I would go for the TRICO.

I have though about a soft side bag, but worry that the bike may be damaged. I really like the looks of the BikebOx www.bikeboxalan.com and would be tempted to go that route, but they are expensive.

TNI cases

Agree that TNI cases are crap. Had one for my first hard case and it started to fall apart from my first trip. Broken wheels, handles and clasps. Avoid them!

Thanks, Astroman! Easy decision to make after hearing the success you have had with your bike. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks, Fred. Heard the same thing about the TNI and a soft case scares me with baggage handlers these days.

Trico case/bike box

I have use a Trico case for several years with good success. It is sturdy once packed up. At least my old one is just a big rectangle, however, so everything just gets squeezed down and it is not super gentle on parts like wheels and shift levers. Several friends in Singapore who travel a lot have gotten the Alan's bike box models from UK that seem very nice (and cost accordingly). I guess it depends on how fancy/fragile your bike is (and how much you travel) whether that one makes sense.

I have a Bike Pro USA soft case with a metal frame to hold the bike. It's well padded and doesn't take up your ever decreasing luggage allowance.
Been subject to Thai, Philippine, UK and Japan's finest box throwers without any issues. A bargain buy from Yahoo auction!:warau:

i am liking my bikebox alan.

traveled japan-norway with a stop over a good week ago and upon arrival everything inside looked the way i had packed it.

and no, the baggage handlers were not gentle folks.

i dont have an expensive bike but of course want it to be as safe as possible. i think you come pretty close to that with this box

dakine bike bag does it for me but it is a bit heavy/bulky but i do have a dh bike and not a road bike

Thunderous Bump

Can anyone tell me what's the best case you can get in Japan that isn't twice as what it costs in the US/Canada/Europe?

I saw that the Thule case sold in Japan was over 74,000 yen on Yahoo Auctions. That's insanity.

The Alan's bike box (no affiliation...) people will ship straight to Japan if you order from them. I think it is around 350 pounds plus close to 200 shipping. Not cheap but very protective as noted above.

The Alan's bike box (no affiliation...) people will ship straight to Japan if you order from them. I think it is around 350 pounds plus close to 200 shipping. Not cheap but very protective as noted above.

I saw it. Looks pretty nice.

FWIW, I got my bike to Japan in cardboard and don't wish to repeat the experience. Having something solid and with wheels would do a lot for my sanity.

I also wanted something permenant and lasting because I just sold my car that I can fit my bike in, and wanted something that could possibly fit in a trunk. Plus, I will need it for whenever I leave Japan on a permanent basis, when the day comes.

Of course, since this

http://www.oocities.org/rookietrial/SW20.jpg

is my current car, I don't think a bike would fit in my (tiny) trunk regardless...

I have the BikeBox Alan and it works well with no issues. One of the best features is that the bicycle wheels secure firmly into molded compartments. It is sturdy, but expensive, as noted by others. I would recommend it.

I'm thinking next time I'm in the states, I might just pick up a Thule case or Iron Case and put my small suitcase in it before coming back.

Been scoping out these boxes. The shipped price for the Alan Bike Box is approx 430GBP.... Shipped Price!!

Austrailia, New Zealand & Japan inc Shipping £427

Not bad. (this is the black one, other colors cost more...)

http://bikeboxalan.co.uk/

I'm actually interested in borrowing/renting a box from somebody this month if anyone has one available. Ideally this Alan one, seems to be a great box. But anything would be good, part of it is to see how the logistics of getting the box to the airport, etc. on both sides works out.... I've heard it's a real PITA. Mind you, I'm not competing in things, just bringing the cycle to do some riding around in other places.

Anyway, if somebody's got an available box for the end of this month, happy to give some yen, buy some beers, or similar.... Of course any shipping domestically I'd sort out.

:bike: :bike: :bike:

Back
Top Bottom