What's new

Half Fast Half Fast Rides coming up

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
A lot going on this weekend. Three rides led by three stalwart members.

On Saturday, the 6th, all good radfahrer will gather for a roundabout, one-way ride to Yokohama and the Oktoberfest.

First of all, great thanks to Leo and his uncanny ability to plot most excellent routes through neighborhoods and farms, along rivers, by parks and stadiums, in order to avoid traffic. His route to Yokohama is not as the crow flies, at 50 kilometers, but it's a blast. There is one 20-meter and two 40-meter hills, but the rest is flat. There's also a sharp downhill, so make sure your brakes are in good condition. Good time to check over your entire bike, for that matter, as we really hate delays for avoidable repairs.

We'll start from the Grand Hyatt in Roppongi Hills at >>>>> 2:30 p.m. NOT THE LATE START TIME<<<<<<<. This is so we can arrive at the bier-soaked venue (admission: Y200) at 5:30 or 6, when Leo's research indicates the lines are thinnest. We'll hang out there for a few hours, or until whenever you want to hop on a train. Alternate rendezvous stop is Y's Garage bike shop in Ota-ku at 3:30. Contact Leo at 080 5523 8434 or [email protected] if you want to meet up there or some other point you think will work.

It's a one-way journey, so you'll need a bike bag for the return by train. And as it's by the waterfront, a jacket is a good idea for the evening. And we will lock the bikes outside the gate of the Red Brick warehouses, so bring a lock. And bike lights. And money.

What's oktoberfest? A german tradition - music, food, beer. Here's the Yokohama way:

http://www.yokohama-akarenga.jp/oktoberfest2012/

Then on Sunday 7th, Ed will lead a jaunt out to the mountains west of here. Variable skill level. Bring a bike bag. Over to Ed >>>>

Sunday Classic, Mt Takao, round the lakes and over Yabitsu to Hadano.
Intermediate ride to Takao, advanced if you go all the way to Hadano.
Starting from the Hyatt at 8am, pick up points at Ebisu "old Wendy's", and Futakotamagawa Giant shop.
Up the Tamagawa to Y's and then over the bridge and on the opposite bank up the side river to Takao.
11am or so at the Ramen shop at the top of Mt Takao. (drop out point here). Down the other side and into the hills and lakes.
Over Yabitsu pass and depending on our mood straight to the train or an Onsen and beer stop. Train home from Hadano.

You will need,.......Ramen funds (vital), Train bag (almost as vital), a bike in good condition and spare tubes as we are in the hills/boonies.

There is a chance of rain, but as I'm coming all the way from Hong Kong I will ride unless the weather is very bad, check with me if unsure.
Contact Ed 080-3426-3009 [email protected]

<<<<<<< Back to me, and over to Francois Lancos, who's planning something fairly ambitious for Monday >>>>>>>>>

On Monday 8th I am going from Hashimoto St. to Kawaguchiko to eat Hoto.

The route is as follows.
Dochi road, climb a small moutain pass to Tsuru, Fujiyoshida and Kawaguchiko. Back to Hashimoto via Otsugi, Uenohara.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/142792217

Total 150 km and 1700 m elevation. Possibility to get on the train on the way back.
Meeting place: JR Hashimoto St. South Exit (near the bus stop) at 9 a.m.

If interested, please contact at [email protected]

Francois

<<<<<<< and me yet again. Thanks, you guys.

PLEASE contact each ride leader if you have any questions. NOT ME. I know NOZZINK!

Finally, Wednesday the 10th is the second Wednesday of the month, the time we gang and dine at The Pink Cow for feasting and revelry, slide shows, drinking, ride planning, eating, discussion and the imbibing of alcoholic spirits. The new Cow is in the basement of the Roi Building in Roppongi, where Paddy Foley's used to be. http://www.thepinkcow.com We get there at 7ish, start presentations at 8:30 or so, and usually wind up by 10.

I don't have anything planned yet for this month's meeting, so if you've got some photos of recent rides, something to promote, or even want to sing My Way, please contact me soonest. (Kidding about the My Way)

Not having been to the new Pink Cow location yet, what's bike parking like around there?

Roi Building in particular is very bike unfriendly. And The Pink Cow does not allow bikes to be placed inside. So, you are left to chain it up on the street and hope no one pukes, falls, steals, slices, keys or otherwise defaces your ride. I rarely had problems back in the day with my grungy Panasonic track bike, but I feel a bit more protective about anything even slightly more attractive than a rusty mama-chari in that hood.

Not having been to the new Pink Cow location yet, what's bike parking like around there?

Back
Top Bottom