What's new

Hakone Run

thomas

The Crank Engine
Nov 1, 2005
Dear members,

Newton and I are planning a Hakone ride on Saturday, May 6th. Newton has done that tour before, so he told me there are two options, meeting and starting either from Odawara or Yamato. The climb is not going to be easy, so better leave the mamma-charries at home.
:p

All we know so far is that we shall meet quite early. If you are interested in the ride, please join. More info to be posted later. :)

Oh, the preliminary weather forecast for Saturday: partly cloudy, high temperature of 23°C and an acceptable 10% chance of precipitation.

Update: after consulting my maps I'd personally prefer to meet up in Yamato-shi, because I do not want to use my rinko-bukuro on the train. Any takers?

thomas said:
Update: after consulting my maps I'd personally prefer to meet up in Yamato-shi, because I do not want to use my rinko-bukuro on the train. Any takers?

Hi Thomas,

cool, I never tried to go there from Yamato-shi. Do you know the distance?

Thanks,

Hi Thomas-san and Newton-san,

I am now in Matsumoto City(Nagano).
I am planing to go back to Yokohama in 5th, but I'm not sure.
In the case I will go back on the day, I must take a rest.
So I'm sorry I cannot take part in.

Hakone is very callenging! Take care and good luck!:)
がんばってください!

Sora said:
Hi Thomas-san and Newton-san,

I am now in Matsumoto City(Nagano).
I am planing to go back to Yokohama in 5th, but I'm not sure.
In the case I will go back on the day, I must take a rest.
So I'm sorry I cannot take part in.

Hakone is very callenging! Take care and good luck!:)
がんばってください!

Hi Sora-san,

Do you know if we can do Tokyo to Hakone in one day?
I am trying to find out the distance between them.

Have nice ride in Nagano.

Take care and see you soon.

Newton

Newton,

looks good! :)

However, I want to ride to Yamato-shi. The reason is that my Japanese rinko-bukuro is too small for my bike, and my airplane-proof bike bag cannot be stowed away in a coin locker (too big). :eek:

What time shall we meet in Yamato-shi?

Just on a side-note: did 165km to Okutama-ko and back today. Cannot even walk at the moment, haha.

thomas said:
Newton,

looks good! :)

However, I want to ride to Yamato-shi. The reason is that my Japanese rinko-bukuro is too small for my bike, and my airplane-proof bike bag cannot be stowed away in a coin locker (too big). :eek:

What time shall we meet in Yamato-shi?

Just on a side-note: did 165km to Okutama-ko and back today. Cannot even walk at the moment, haha.

ops sorry, I was trying to post the image but I couldn't.

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/print?mode=1&key=2137578efdf2fd9d6687582&pass=d204e1b37ad419c3

Thomas,

>Just on a side-note: did 165km to Okutama-ko and back today. Cannot even walk at the moment, haha.

You did 165km :eek:
Are you sure you want to do Hakone?
Maybe we can do another ride insted Hakone.
What do you think?

Newton

Hi Thomas,

There are a lot nice ride around Hakone & Lake Ashi .
Maybe we can start from Odawara and also will not be easy. :warau:

I think we should go with your bike bag. We can do something with your bag later. Don't worry about that. :cool:

What do you think?

Newton

Newton said:
Are you sure you want to do Hakone?
Maybe we can do another ride insted Hakone.
What do you think?

Well, another option would be to ride in Chiba. Also easier for you. ;)

I will inquire about destinations.

thomas said:
Well, another option would be to ride in Chiba. Also easier for you. ;)

Hi Thomas,

humm...well, let's do Hakone without our "rinko-bukuro" ;)

Let's meet in Tokyo Station about 7 o'clock in the morning. :bike:

What do you think?

Newton

Newton said:
Hi Thomas,

humm...well, let's do Hakone without our "rinko-bukuro" ;)

Let's meet in Tokyo Station about 7 o'clock in the morning. :bike:

What do you think?

Thomas considers his muscle-ache and takes a deep breath... ;)

It is definitely challenging and crazy.... but that's the spirit I like. 石にかじりついても! :D

Let's meet at 7am in front of Yaesu Exit (eastern exit) at Tokyo Station. If you have the time, could you provide a Yahoo or Google map, just to measure the approximate distance?

thomas said:
Thomas considers his muscle-ache and takes a deep breath... ;)

It is definitely challenging and crazy.... but that's the spirit I like. 石にかじりついても! :D

Let's meet at 7am in front of Yaesu Exit (eastern exit) at Tokyo Station. If you have the time, could you provide a Yahoo or Google map, just to measure the approximate distance?

Cool, I will be in Tokyo Station (Yaesu Exit ) at 7am.

this will be my first challenging and crazy ride in Japan. :D

have look at the link below for idea of distance.
Tokyo -> Hakone

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/print?&mode=1&key=2137578efdf2fd9d6687582&pass=d204e1b37ad419c3&sc=8

see you there.

Tour Accomplished! :)

Ok, here's a short summary of our adventure ride to Hakone. :)

Newton and I met as planned at 7am at Tokyo Station. Adhering to Maiko-san's advice, we followed Route 1 south, via Yokohama, Fujisawa and Odawara. Odawara is actually pretty far from Tokyo (87km). Some parts of Route 1 cannot be used by cyclists, so we had to resort to pavements and by-passes.

Due to my great sense of orientation, we once took a wrong turn and ended up on a highway. Quite exciting, I have to admit. Thanks to a friendly おまわりさん we eventually managed to get back to Route 1. From Odawara, where we finally arrived after 1pm, it is only 12km to Hakone. Due to Golden Week, the town was crowded with tourists and sightseers.

While Newton waited in town I ascended towards Motohakone. The climb is quite steep and challenging. Sheesh, somehow I am glad we won't particiapte in the Fuji Climb in June! :p Due to the strong wind and lack of time I turned around approximately 3km before Motohakone. The descent was terrific. Newton who was too tired to return to Tokyo the same day, decided to spend the night in Hakone.

I left Hakone around 4pm and went home via Atsugi, Yamato and Setagaya using Route 246 to Shibuya. That route resembles a highway, but is in fact some sort of expressway. Bicycles seem to be allowed except for flyovers and underpasses. Constant tail wind made me fly home, where I arrived around 8pm.

So yes, you can do Hakone in one day! :D

Here are my stats:

05/06/06 (CB)

Distance 229,05 km
Av 23,6
Mx 61,3
Odo 2476,3
Time 9:42'04

Some pics are in the gallery. :bike:

Ola !! I am back !! :D

Well, I stayed one night in Hakone because I couldn't feel comfortable with my new pedal.
So After nice onsen in Hakone I was 100% again. :p

Next day, I decided get up early about 4am because of the weather. I went to onsen again in the morning and had my breakfast.
I left Hakone about 6:30 and back to home at 12:00. (Nishi-kasai)

Well, this ride was very exiting!! I am planning to do again but in one day. :warau:

After some adjustment in my bike with my new pedal I felt a big difference.
Thomas, Thanks for you advice.

Bem-vindo! Glad you made it back safely! :D

Newton said:
Well, this ride was very exiting!! I am planning to do again but in one day.

Absolutely! Next time we start earlier AND ride up Ashinoko! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom