What's new

Hakone Ekiden Ride - Jan 2

Please count me in on this going all the way from Otemachi. Cruising speed of close to 40 set. Let's show these foot-walkers!

A cruising speed of close to 40, a superlative Idea Gunjira sir, with only two drawbacks: one, there is a bloody great big climb up to Ashinoko and two, there is a bloody great big climb up to Ashinoko. I know that, technically, that's only one drawback, but it was such a big one I thought I'd mention it twice.

Where do I sign?

I'm definitely in for this one!
I was really disappointed that I missed this ride last year, but I will be in Tokyo throughout the new year this time, so YEAH!
What time will people be leaving from Otemachi?
Travis

A cruising speed of close to 40, a superlative Idea Gunjira sir, with only two drawbacks: one, there is a bloody great big climb up to Ashinoko and two, there is a bloody great big climb up to Ashinoko. I know that, technically, that's only one drawback, but it was such a big one I thought I'd mention it twice.

Psychology, sir, psychology:rolleyes:
(And I thought, the climb was more long and gradual, than steep)

I'll buy a BK Whopper meal to anyone that can ride up that climb on a push bike averaging 40km/h

And Im suprised no one commented on the Red Dawf quote. :(

What time at Otemachi

Well, the runners start at 8:00AM at Otemachi ... so you would need to start at least 15 (more?) minutes earlier, to stay ahead of them and not get pulled off the road by the police through the traffic lights of Tokyo/Kawasaki.

Ludwig, who has done it before from Otemachi, said he will lead the group going from there, so I defer to him.

We can get very good information on historical split times, so we should know within a few minutes when the leaders will pass Tsurumi (first hand off - 21.4 km leg) and Totsuka (second hand off - 23.2 km leg) -- probably around 1 hour per leg, maybe a bit less for the first one since it is very flat.

I am thinking of riding out from my house via Marukobashi then Tsunashima Kaido (crosses the Tamagawa at the Toyoko Line) and follows the train line as far as Kikuna, and then meet the route of the Ekiden around Koyasu, 2-3 km before Yokohama Station. Again, we can designate detailed meeting places/times a few days ahead, as well as someplace at the top in Hakone to hang out and wait for stragglers (2 years ago it was the Michi-no-Eki Hakone Toge, on the short climb up after you leave Ashi-no-ko and before the turn off for Rte 20).

Was maybe.....maybe thinking of doing this again this year. If....IF I do it again I will join in Yokohama where Route 16 and Route 1 cross paths.

Again this is my rest period so if I do this I won't be out to break any records nor care If I get caught by the rozzers.

Unfortunately I have to miss this since I'll be up North CC skiing - but best of luck to you all!

After seeing the huge crowds who turned out to watch the TCC/PE express train pass by last year, I'd like to join in this time.
I'd join either kawasaki or Tsurumi.

I remember seeing a very large laughing bunch riding immediately behind the runners last year, so if you get held up by the fuzz, you could jump back in and have a less stressful ride to Hakone. I expect you would not earn your TCC caravan points if this was the case. ;)

I will suggest meeting point and times when the organizers release the traffic restriction information. Looks like they are a bit late this year.

Cool, although the junction I posted is where I will try and meet the group.

where exactly at Otemachi station ?

Im in Tokyo for 10 days and brought my bike to keep training. Id be keen to join you all on the ride on 2 Jan.

Also if anyone can tell me about any regular group rides to save me navigating my way through Tokyo ?

Thanks

Well, the runners start at 8:00AM at Otemachi ... so you would need to start at least 15 (more?) minutes earlier, to stay ahead of them and not get pulled off the road by the police through the traffic lights of Tokyo/Kawasaki.

Ludwig, who has done it before from Otemachi, said he will lead the group going from there, so I defer to him.

We can get very good information on historical split times, so we should know within a few minutes when the leaders will pass Tsurumi (first hand off - 21.4 km leg) and Totsuka (second hand off - 23.2 km leg) -- probably around 1 hour per leg, maybe a bit less for the first one since it is very flat.

I am thinking of riding out from my house via Marukobashi then Tsunashima Kaido (crosses the Tamagawa at the Toyoko Line) and follows the train line as far as Kikuna, and then meet the route of the Ekiden around Koyasu, 2-3 km before Yokohama Station. Again, we can designate detailed meeting places/times a few days ahead, as well as someplace at the top in Hakone to hang out and wait for stragglers (2 years ago it was the Michi-no-Eki Hakone Toge, on the short climb up after you leave Ashi-no-ko and before the turn off for Rte 20).

As I said, I will post details closer to the time. Still waiting for the organizers/police to release the traffic restriction information.

After my preposterous claims/wishful thinking about high average speeds, it looks as I will have to watch this event in front of the TV away from Tokyo. Next year.
Maybe some of you will still prove me right and top a 30 average? I know TCC can do it!

Back
Top Bottom