What's new

Hajimemashite

Phil Harris

Speeding Up
Nov 9, 2006
Hello everyone! I`m new to this website but not new to biking in Japan.

I reside in Yokohama and am planning a ride around the Izu Hanto either this month or next - anyone interested? I suppose it would be much more interesting to ride in a group vice alone.

My most recent bike trek was in September; I rode from Aomori Prefecture to Yokohama. I spent 12 days on the road and had a fabulous time.:bike:

Hello everyone! I`m new to this website but not new to biking in Japan.

I reside in Yokohama and am planning a ride around the Izu Hanto either this month or next - anyone interested? I suppose it would be much more interesting to ride in a group vice alone.

My most recent bike trek was in September; I rode from Aomori Prefecture to Yokohama. I spent 12 days on the road and had a fabulous time.

Hi Phil,

welcome to the TCC! :welcome:

Your Aomori trip must have been exciting. Did you cycle solo?

I am looking forward to more details on your Izu tour. Anyhow, nice to have you on board. :)

Many Thanks

Yes, I did bike solo - had no troubles the entire trip.

I am thinking about biking a "lap" around Izu from the northeast (Odawara) around Shimoda and then up through Numazu or something like that. Will probably bring my tent to reduce costs, though I don`t relish the idea of added weight going up all the mountains.

On my trip from Aomori to Yokohama, I tokubin`d the tent home on the third day to reduce weight.

Hi Phil-san,

ようこそTCCへ!:welcome:
On my trip from Aomori to Yokohama, I tokubin`d the tent home on the third day to reduce weight.
It must be one of the most important points in the long days tour.:D

Where did you run from Aomori? Please let me know your tour.:)

Aomori - Yokohama

I started on 01 September from Misawa-Shi and stopped at a campsite in the town of Fudai the first night (avatar pic). Iwate-Ken was some pretty tough riding with plenty of mountains but beautiful scenary. Did an average of 6hours in the saddle each day and covered from 75-120KM daily depending on terrain and stayed an extra day in Tomioka to give the bum a break. The weather was awesome until the last two days. Hitting the road from Kujukuri Hama in Chiba on 12 September, rainy weather set in.

Misawa-Yokohama

I posted some photographs in the Gallery. Somehow not all were posted into the album titled "Misawa-Yokohama", some are individual photos.

I posted some photographs in the Gallery. Somehow not all were posted into the album titled "Misawa-Yokohama", some are individual photos.

Thanks for sharing, Phil! Excellent pictures. If you want me to move some of them, please send me a PM.

Hi Phil-san,

thank you for your photos.
Sanriku sea side line must be tough.:cool:

My home stomping ground..

Hi Phil-san,

thank you for your photos.
Sanriku sea side line must be tough.:cool:

Tough but awesome scenery my wife and I love Kitayamazaki and usually go camping there at least once a year. Well before we had babies..... I live about 70kms north of Fudai so you were well and truely in my backyard. Where did you stay after you lost the tent?
I am planning a speed assault of the same coast in June next year fcrom Sendai to Hachinohe, 400kms in how many hours? Will be a good challenge for the old body.
Thanks for the pics.

Sendai - Hachinohe

Good luck with the speed assault, though I don`t think you`ll have much speed on climbing hills in Miyagi and Iwate!:) If you push hard, you should be able to accomplish the assault in three days or less.

I stayed in Miyako at a nice Minshuku, then a quite minshuku at Ryori-Wan northeast of Ofunato. That pretty much characterized my trip: 75-124kms per day depending on terrain. Never was too difficult to find a place to stay - only had reservations in Miyako and Ryori-Wan.

At Matsushima (stayed there vice Sendai) I splurged at a huge hotel on top of a hill overlooking the islands. The hotel staff, with some initial relunctance, agreed to store my bike in the cloak room as I hadn`t yet purchased a lock (bought one in Tomioka). The dude that normally takes your baggage to the room had an odd look on his face as he pushed my bike accross the nice flloor to the cloak room; this was evidently not a normal occurance at this hotel.

Keep us posted on your route and start date; be sure to shoot and post pics!

Back
Top Bottom