What's new

Hadano loop

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Hi, all!

How are you doing in this heat?
Well, they say "to forget one pain you have to be subjected to another stronger pain". So how about forgetting about heat by suffering on the mountain climbs? :eek:

Here's the Saturday ride that's been born under code name "Something Really Stupid". Stupid or not, you are to decide -

It's a 130-140 km loop: Hadano st. - Yabitsu pass - Makime pass - Gando pass - Inugoeji tunnel - Hadano pass (2 peaks) - Hadano st.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/jp/tokyo/704489047

This ride might not have long and glorious climbs like Matsuhime, Kazahari or Nokogiri, but it includes 5 passes, 3 of which are not very long but painfully steep, 1 might test your cyclocross/hiking skills (about 2 kms of carrying bikes uphill on a gravel road). And that's a lot of new roads to explore.

Rendez-vous info:
- Place: Intersection of rt.246 and rt.70 (see "start" on the map above, it's ~500m. north-east from Hadano st.)
- Time: 2008.08.02 (Saturday), 9.00 (roll out at ~9.30)

Participants so far:
- Lee
- Thomas
- Steve (said he wanted to do the loop two times, before getting home early :rolleyes:)
- Sergey

Who else?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi, 皆さん!

"Something Really Stupid"と名付けられた、土曜日開催予定のライドのお知らせです(130~140Km程度)。コースは、秦野駅 - ヤビツ峠 - マキメ峠 - ガンドウ峠 - 犬越路トンネル - 秦野峠 (2つの峰) - 秦野駅
*5つの峠越えを含んだコース。3つはさほど長くないけど、かなりの急勾配!うち1つはサイクロクロスやハイキングといったスキルが求められるかも・・・(2km程ジャリ道を自転車を担いで登らなくてはならないので)。

【集合場所・時間のお知らせ】
日時:2008.8/2 (土曜日), AM9.00集合 (9.30スタート)
場所:rt.246 と rt.70の交差点 (*下記に添付した地図上の、"start" という地点。秦野駅から北東に500m程のところ)

コースは下記を参照

Naomi

Tour de Baka

Excellent, thanks for posting, Sergey! Will you ride out to Hadano? If so, what time shall we meet at Eda Sta.? :)

maybe I should take up golf

Hi Sergey,

Loops ?!? I thank the Gods that I have a viable excuse lined up this saturday to avoid most of the madness, but may appear for the first couple of climbs. There's a really nice spot for a dip on the other side of Yabitsu and that's where I'll probably say goodbye to you all :D. Oh yes, I noticed how you cleverly planned the order of these climbs to avoid as much shade as possible...

Cheers--
Steve

Very tempting...

Hi Sergey,
Loops ?!? I thank the Gods that I have a viable excuse lined up this saturday to avoid most of the madness, but may appear for the first couple of climbs. There's a really nice spot for a dip on the other side of Yabitsu and that's where I'll probably say goodbye to you all :D. Oh yes, I noticed how you cleverly planned the order of these climbs to avoid as much shade as possible...
Cheers--
Steve

However, like Steve, I will need to be back in town (Harajuku) by 2pm.
I've ridden "Yabitsu" a couple of times, but always from the lake side - Have never done it from the Rte.246 side, but would like to try it!
If I go, after Yabitsu-toge, I will probably turn right onto Rte.413 and head directly to Machida station & catch the train back from there.
The 80km ride from my place to the official start (Hadano) will mean leaving home at 5am, and should make up for whatever I miss on the rest of the ride.
Will need to talk it over with you-know-who first, but tentatively, count me in!
Travis

Translation into Japanese: 日本語版

Hi, all!

How are you doing in this heat?
Well, they say "to forget one pain you have to be subjected to another stronger pain". So how about forgetting about heat by suffering on the mountain climbs? :eek:

Here's the Saturday ride that's been born under code name "Something Really Stupid". Stupid or not, you are to decide -

It's a 130-140 km loop: Hadano st. - Yabitsu pass - Makime pass - Gando pass - Inugoeji tunnel - Hadano pass (2 peaks) - Hadano st.

This ride might not have long and glorious climbs like Matsuhime, Kazahari or Nokogiri, but it includes 5 passes, 3 of which are not very long but painfully steep, 1 might test your cyclocross/hiking skills (about 2 kms of carrying bikes uphill on a gravel road). And that's a lot of new roads to explore.

Rendez-vous info:
- Place: Intersection of rt.246 and rt.70 (see "start" on the map above, it's ~500m. north-east from Hadano st.)
- Time: 2008.08.02 (Saturday), 9.00 (roll out at ~9.30)

Participants so far:
- Lee
- Thomas
- Steve (said he wanted to do the loop two times, before getting home early :rolleyes:)
- Sergey

Who else?

"Something Really Stupid"と名付けられた、土曜日開催予定のライドのお知らせです(130~140Km程度)。コースは、秦野駅 - ヤビツ峠 - マキメ峠 - ガンドウ峠 - 犬越路トンネル - 秦野峠 (2つの峰) - 秦野駅
*5つの峠越えを含んだコース。3つはさほど長くないけど、かなりの急勾配!うち1つはサイクロクロスやハイキングといったスキルが求められるかも・・・(2km程ジャリ道を自転車を担いで登らなくてはならないので:eek:)。

【集合場所・時間のお知らせ】
日時:2008.8/2 (土曜日), AM9.00集合 (9.30スタート)
場所:rt.246 と rt.70の交差点 (*下記に添付した地図上の、"start" という地点。秦野駅から北東に500m程のところ)

コースは下記を参照

*最初の4行は省略してあります!!失敬:warau:
Naomi

Looks great

Looks great Sergey, wish I could make it. Have a nice ride guys. Just a concern though, Thomas, doesn't this pass through R.76 which you said was terrible and impassable at points?

Naomi-san,

thanks for your translation! :)

Just a concern though, Thomas, doesn't this pass through R.76 which you said was terrible and impassable at points?

That's true, Mike, but scouting R76 once again sounds like a real adventure. :D

Here's a link to the old post and a sketch of the impassable bit.

Riding out... riding... out...

Excellent, thanks for posting, Sergey! Will you ride out to Hadano? If so, what time shall we meet at Eda Sta.? :)

Ride out to Hadano? You mean, like, taking 246, riding along huge stinking trucks, stopping at traffic lights while drowning in the heat of the surrounding cars and arriving to the official start completely exhausted instead of waking up late and taking it easy inside of an air-conditionned train wagon? - Sure, let's meet in front of Eda st. at 7.00 - 7.20 :D

Or, perhaps, you would consider hopping onto train from Eda st. to Hadano? :warau:

Ride out to Hadano? You mean, like, taking 246, riding along huge stinking trucks, stopping at traffic lights while drowning in the heat of the surrounding cars and arriving to the official start completely exhausted instead of waking up late and taking it easy inside of an air-conditionned train wagon?

I hear that. 246 is no fun. I think the attraction to this stretch of road among some of our contingent has to do with a European machismo thing. *cough* Thomas *cough* :p

To save my legs -- and possibly my life -- I, for one, am taking the train out.

Deej

Ride out to Hadano? You mean, like, taking 246, riding along huge stinking trucks, stopping at traffic lights while drowning in the heat of the surrounding cars and arriving to the official start completely exhausted instead of waking up late and taking it easy inside of an air-conditionned train wagon? - Sure, let's meet in front of Eda st. at 7.00 - 7.20

Yes, yes, yes, and yes, and I believe 07:45AM is more than sufficient, as it's less than an hour to Hadano from Eda. Let's see what Travis has to say on that, as he's the resident logistics expert. :)

Or, perhaps, you would consider hopping onto train from Eda st. to Hadano?

No. That would be absolutely inconsistent with my Euro-machismo. :D

I hear that. 246 is no fun. I think the attraction to this stretch of road among some of our contingent has to do with a European machismo thing. *cough* Thomas *cough*

It's actually not machismo, Deej, but sheer laziness: going to the station, packing the bike, riding on crowded trains, assembling the bike at another station... no thanks. :warau:

And besides, what about your Viking genes?
viking.gif

It's actually not machismo, Deej, but sheer laziness: going to the station, packing the bike, riding on crowded trains, assembling the bike at another station... no thanks. :warau:

Fair enough. I don't like bagging my bike, either. It always ends up being harder and more stressful than it should be. I should take lessons in this art from Pucci, who has turned the bagging and de-bagging process into, well, an art.

And besides, what about your Viking genes?
viking.gif

Oh, the Norwegian part of me hungers after 246. It's the other bits that are skittish. :)

Logistics?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes, and I believe 07:45AM is more than sufficient, as it's less than an hour to Hadano from Eda. Let's see what Travis has to say on that, as he's the resident logistics expert. :)

It's 40km from Eda to Hadano - 25km to Atsugi, and then 15km to the start.
However, as Thomas mentioned, Rte.246 is a really fast road - last time Philip, Thomas & I did it, we had an average speed over close to 31km/h all the way.
It's really not that bad.
>Thomas: Your estimation of "7:45" may be a little under-estimated! I think it'd be best to make it between 7 & 7:10. That way, we can eat while we wait. (BTW, we'll need to meet at 5:30 on Meiji & 14-Yasukuni).
We probably won't stop on the way, but:
>Deej: If you want to meet us as we cross Tamagawa, 6:30 ought to get you there in front of us, without having to wait too long.
>Sergey: If we do it this way, we'll arrive at Eda station just before 7:00 and stop for a short break. Leaving at 7:10 will get us to Hadano at around 8:40 - non-stop for 40km!

Once we turn onto Rte.70 and head towards Yabitsu-toge, it will be just over 11km at 6%-ish.
It should work out fine!
Travis

>Thomas: 5:30, eh!

Yes, yes, yes, and yes, and I believe 07:45AM is more than sufficient, as it's less than an hour to Hadano from Eda.

Well... it's 35-38 kms from Eda to Hadano - Thomas, please, don't tell me you plan to travel 246 at avg. 40 km/h :eek:

Plus, I'd like to take a short break at the meeting point, before tackling all those passes.

UPD:
Have just read your post, Travis - it looks more realistic to me :)

Hello chaps,

I'll catch the train to Hadano station, departing from Shinjuku at 7.36 (Odakyu line) and arriving at 8.44.

Lee

Can I tag along?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums. I've been in Japan since April (will be leaving August 23rd, back to the states). In all that time I've been riding alone since none of my friends here are cyclists. I was wondering if I could meet you along the way during this ride and tag along for a bit. I was going to do some riding in that area this weekend anyway so it works out nicely :)

I think it would be perfect for me to catch you guys right at mile marker 22 on the route map (intersection of road 413 and 64) and tag along until right at mile marker 42 (interesction of road 413 and 76). If you are OK with having me along, I could send a PM to you with my cell phone number.

I think it would be perfect for me to catch you guys right at mile marker 22 on the route map (intersection of road 413 and 64) and tag along until right at mile marker 42 (interesction of road 413 and 76). If you are OK with having me along, I could send a PM to you with my cell phone number.

Sure, you are welcome to join.
But I don't really know when we'll be passing the intersection of 413 and 64.
If we start at around 9.20, then, I guess we'll be passing it at... 10.40 or so. If you've been to that area before, you should know that there is a lonely conv. store at the intersection - this is where we could meet, as we might stop there to resupply - for us it will be the last outpost of civilization, before the following 3-4 climbs.

To Kmart...

Sure, you are welcome to join.
But I don't really know when we'll be passing the intersection of 413 and 64.
If we start at around 9.20, then, I guess we'll be passing it at... 10.40 or so. If you've been to that area before, you should know that there is a lonely conv. store at the intersection - this is where we could meet, as we might stop there to resupply - for us it will be the last outpost of civilization, before the following 3-4 climbs.

Just quoting what Sergey said;
10:40 is a good guess!
You'll see that convenience store on the corner, so as long as you're there by 10:30, just sit down & wait for us to arrive.
If we're late, just wait a bit more! - That's the best we can do. Will send you my keitai-number via PM tomorrow.
>BTW, did you end up buying that 12-27 cassette? It'll help.
T

Yea, got that shiny new 12-27 cassette and chain today so I'm ready to rock! :) I'm hoping for no rain and I am plan to ride if it is dry when I leave the house (and the forecast does not warn of typhoon) :)

Looking at the route map in detail, I see that at mile 34 the road as shown on Google Maps street view seems to end and does not appear again until mile 39, which is at the intersection of rd413. Is this that "cyclocross" section that was mentioned? Do I need to pack my machete and inflatable water raft for this..?

Back
Top Bottom