What's new

Hadano loop

Looking at the route map in detail, I see that at mile 34 the road as shown on Google Maps street view seems to end and does not appear again until mile 39, which is at the intersection of rd413. Is this that "cyclocross" section that was mentioned? Do I need to pack my machete and inflatable water raft for this..?

The section is a climb and descend on a forest road, it's a bit old, but rideable - one of my most visited climbs, has a very steep incline in the middle, where I've fallen once (the first time I went there).

What you should really watch out for is the descend to 413 - it's steep, curvy (almost no straight sections) and narrow, with lots and lots of stones on the road. Never met a car going up there, but, I think it's not impossible.

Cyclocross part will be after that - never been there. Maybe there's a road now..

Visions of destruction

What you should really watch out for is the descend to 413 - it's steep, curvy (almost no straight sections) and narrow, with lots and lots of stones on the road. Never met a car going up there, but, I think it's not impossible.

Cyclocross part will be after that - never been there. Maybe there's a road now..

Alright, I'm starting to wonder if I should slap on my old Shimano wheels and forgo the Ksyriums for this ride.

Seriously.

Deej

Alright, I'm starting to wonder if I should slap on my old Shimano wheels and forgo the Ksyriums for this ride.
Seriously.

Deej, it's not TOO bad and the road is passable, if you're careful enough. The stones are mostly on sides and in the middle, it's clear on the path of car tyres.

It's better than Nokogiri :)

Deej, it's not TOO bad and the road is passable, if you're careful enough. The stones are mostly on sides and in the middle, it's clear on the path of car tyres.

OK, then, the Ksyriums stay on. See you tomorrow morning! Just to clarify, I'm taking the train out.

Deej

まとめ

わあ~、楽しかった。 By which I mean, really quite tough! :eek::confused::eek:
Thanks to all the TCC guys who came and showed me what climbing is all about. This was my first ride in the mountains, ever, and boy was it one to remember. Also thanks for waiting for me at the top all those times :warau:. As painful as that was, I want to do it again some time soon, if only so I can enjoy those magnificent descents once more.

I am sorry I could not join for the cyclocross events today but it seems I was wise to go back to Machida when I did (via rt413, then rt16) as I was ready to puke when I got home (although this was mostly due the car exhaust from heavy traffic on rt16).

This part was not so bad actually, except maybe a little hard on the brake pads (kpykc, I think it's time you replaced those!) The rocks cleared up towards the end and after that we enjoyed a curvy but fast descent to 413.

Here are some pics (sorry for the blur :/) of the TCC crew as they cross the threshold and begin the ascent to Mt. Doom, just after crossing rd413 for the 2nd time.

Not shown is a crazy old Japanese guy who was standing at the entrance and began chanting ominously when he saw us, "oooooooohhh....OOOOOoohhhh!"

Hi guys!

I'm wondering to have a ride in Yabitu area in near future, then I want to know
whether I should bring luncheon or find somewhere to take lunch on the mountain. S

Not a report..

..but just a thanks to all the participants - great time, lots of delicious pain and suffering, which reached its apogee on the climb to Gando pass, sucessfully reducing party's cumulative Hit Points to zero... :rescue: ...well, except Thomas, who kept disappearing up the road like a mirage in a desert :)

This was a long and an eventful adventure and it needs to be put into poem by local bards, which is an impossibility for me.

This ride also marked the birth of a new sport called "hikling" (now, one of TCC's specialities). For details, guided tours and reservation - post on TCC forums :D

Thanks, everyone! Let's do this again, sometime.. next time with Hadano toge! (although, I can't say I didn't like that speedy dash down 246 :cool: )

Distance - 170 km (40km ride from Eda + 130 km loop). Yay!

Careful cycling . . .

hadano_loop_10.jpg

:D:D:D

Not sorry I missed it, but...

I am sorry I missed seeing you guys again.
I left home at 5am, and met up with Thomas at the usual spot, and as we were riding down R246, my back-tyre had gone flat (after some nocturnal experiences on a not-unfamous bridge a few nights earlier).
It was fixed fairly quickly, but I already knew that previous day's lack of preparation was seriously draining my reserves.
Still, we were on-time to meet Sergey at Eda station, but after that, I just couldn't keep up. I was feeling light in the head, and that to attempt "Yabitsu" in such a condition would've been akin to suicide.
I said goodbye to Thomas & Sergey around Nagatsuta, turned left onto Rte.16, and finally made my way to Yokohama, from where I caught the train home.
68km in all. T

>Deej: Sorry buddy! I really was looking forward to another chat!
>Kmart: Dmitry, sorry to have let you down on what would have been our first ride - I won't make a habit out of it.
>Thomas, Sergey, Lee: Sorry to you guys too! Hope you can make it this Friday. T

Let's Hikling

Yep, a fun day out.
Yabitsu was actually very nice. This was the first time i'd been up it and it was nice to see so many riders there. I would like to return again in the future.
The second toge was not that severe but extremely punishing in the heat.
The third toge was insane, but it was good to be likened to tour de france riders by the surprised hiker.... :confused: even though a few metres later we were back in hikling mode. I can't quite decide whether Travis, Steve and Dmitri should regret being so close yet so far from witnessing the birth of this new sport.

All in all, it was good to experience these new routes and I hope to go around that area again in the not too distant future.

Thanks for all the organisation and introductions Sergey!

Narrow escape

Well that was close - thank the Gods that I had to turn back after the 2nd pass for matsuri duties later in the day :rolleyes: ! Actually I was a little concerned why there hadn't yet been any posts from Sergey, Thomas, Lee or Deej on the TCC board in the last couple days, and then after watching a werewolf film late last night, I was frantic as to what might have happened up there ...

Anyway, glad you all made it safely home and un-eaten.

Yowza

Well damn. That was hard work! There were a couple points during that ride where I honestly thought, "Cycling sucks." But as usual, by the time the next day rolled around, all I could think about was getting back in those hills.

Guys, thanks for the great company and excellent riding. Sergey, extra special thanks for serving as our guide.

At kilometer zero, the objective for the day was, as I had told Steve and Lee, to "put a little shame in Sergey's game." By the 80km mark, however, it was, as Thomas had intoned as we scrabbled up a glorified goat path on some god-forsaken mountain, "about survival."

The word on the street before the ride began was that Sergey had been climbing like a man transformed of late. Being a touch competitive, I decided that I wasn't about to let any long-limbed Belarussians beat me up any mountains that day, no way, no how. But on the first climb of the day, Yabitsu, that's exactly what happened. Oh, I kept pace with him for most of the climb, and even passed him as I made my final sprint for the summit. Unfortunately, what I thought was the summit was just another bend in the road, and as I collapsed in fatigue and disbelief, Sergey cruised past me to collect the KOM points for climb No. 1. But wait -- a supremely in-form Thomas had beaten both of us by several minutes. Oh, the chagrin!

On the descent from Yabitsu, Lee and I watched in mute horror as a motorcyclist swerved to avoid some hikers and ended up dumping his bike and sliding across the road before coming to a halt just in front of us. Besides scraping up an arm and losing a few bits and pieces of his bike, the guy seemed OK. After he motored away, Thomas, Steve and Sergey came back up the hill looking terribly concerned, as they had heard the crash and thought that Lee or I had perhaps been hit. Whoa. It seems the motorcyclist had almost hit Steve as he came up the hill. I got the impression that the fellow was inexperienced and his cornering skills were lacking. Scary.

After a nice descent and some fun cruising up and down hills, we hooked up with DJ Kmart -- aka Dmitri -- who had been patiently waiting for us at a local kombini. We refueled and headed up another pass -- 牧馬峠 -- which although challenging, was only a "half-toge" according to Sergey. It felt like a full toge to me. I was still basically able to keep up with Thomas and Sergey at this point, but it was super hot outside, and I started to worry about my food supply. Also, I was being driven mad by the endless loop of Eminem's "The Way I Am" that was playing in my fevered mind. Yes, fevered.

And I am
Whatever you say I am
If I wasn't, then why would I say I am?
In the papers, the news, every day I am
Radio won't even play my jam

Not long after that, we bid farewell to Steve. Steve and his amazing technicolor dreambike.

Next stop was 厳道峠. This climb was not especially steep, but it was long. As soon as we started out, I knew something was wrong. Despite the easy gradient, my thighs were burning, and simply turning the pedals became difficult. I wasn't exactly cramping, but it was a sort of proto-cramping. Or something. Whatever it was, I suddenly found myself incapable of putting shame in anyone's game. Thomas, Lee and Sergey simply rode out of sight. I slowed to about 4kph. Dmitri was kind enough to keep me company. As he cheerfully made conversation, I tried to grunt in the appropriate places, but even that was taxing. Finally, a good 20 minutes after Thomas had made it up, I summited the pass. I officially sucked. Much shame was in my game.

After descending and zipping along the Doshimichi, we said our goodbyes to Dmitri (am I spelling that correctly?) and began out next climb -- Mount fricking Doom. Basically what happened is we walked up a very large mountain. Over shattered rocks. In cycling shoes. Tracks that possibly belonged to bears were spotted. Cleats were ruined. Bonds between hapless "hiklists" were forged. It took us a good hour and a half, maybe longer, of awkward ambulation to reach the summit. Ah, but the descent was blessed. We were back on our steeds, warriors all, conquerors of mountains. Thomas's cleats were so ravaged that only his right shoe could clip in, but still he powered along in that strong, steady cadence of his. He was getting by on pure European machismo.

By now it was starting to get late and we were pretty pooped. So we decided to forgo the final climb -- Hadano Pass. Instead, we made a mad dash down 246 to Hadano Station. This is where Sergey showed that not only was he an impressive climber, but he could time trial like a demon, too. Taking the lead, he pulled Thomas, Lee and I back to the station at a furious clip.

After bagging our bikes, we treated ourselves to a couple beers and raised our core nipple temperatures by wiping them repeatedly with Gatsby deodorant wipes (you had to be there).

Dudes, let's do it again -- but no Mount Doom this time!

Travis, you were missed, man. But it was probably smart of you to sit this one out. Next time!

Deej

Cool!

Great story for future generations :)

Mt.Doom surely took its toll, but it looks like it's the only pass connecting Doshi valley with 246 in Kanagawa making a perfect loop in pair with Yabitsu...

...or we could bring couple of hooks and pickaxes and then...:rolleyes:

Deej, thanks for writting it all - I honestly tried to write something myself couple of times, but it just looked much too simple and would take me an eternity to finish!

A friggin' epic report, Deej ! Brought back memories of a simiar "goat track" experience a couple months ago - those TCC sherpas Sergey & Lee involved again - but certainly not as long and mighty as this one. Ah, wish I could have been there (?). Thanks for The Look, by the way Deej. Made my day.

PS. Sergey, do let me know your next ride plans. So I can arrange to attend some Matsuri again instead ... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom