What's new

H T 5

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Izu-hanto, here we come!
Saturday 10/4, 9:30 meet at Odawara. 10:00 roll-out!

I originally thought we would do a re-run of "KT2 - Atami loop", but it's only 80km, and hence too short for training for a 120km race, so I tried to elongate it by going down the hill a bit & coming back up; still it was only 95km.

But then I remembered a ride by Aaron "Pucci" that we did in March last year with Jeff "Triroo"; and instead of going down to Atami, we started the climb from Yugawara. See thread:
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=292&highlight=Yugawara&page=3

So if we put them all together, the ride we have is exactly 120km, and takes in some great climbs (as well as downhills) - "m o b" mentioned Rte.20 as being "one of the best decisions he's ever made", and we will surely take that same road.... twice; once DOWN, and once UP! Here's the new map!
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/odawara/319228708137

>Thomas: Sorry, but that means we won't be able to do "Atami-toge" this time - Hope that's O.K. - We'll still be able to have pizza & beer in our skirts again, though:D:D:D

Roll out time: 10:00 from Odawara station (east exit).
For those who live south of Tamagawa, you should be able to ride out without difficulty; For the others who live further away, I'd recommend the train.
Please try to be there by 9:30, so that we don't leave too late.

Look forward to PIZZA & BEER at the 90km mark - Big thanks to "Gus Duncan" for showing us where the shop is;)

Travis

Interesting route, Travis, I will most likely join you. But what day is it? This week-end?

Looks like another very scenic and exciting training course...with exactly the same distance this should be a perfect rehearsal for Hotaka! This weekend though, I won't be able to join as I will be riding in Shiobara together with Michael (m o b) participating in the eight race of the JCRC 2008 series. Looking forward to H T 6 !

Saturday.

Interesting route, Travis, I will most likely join you. But what day is it? This week-end?
Thanks Sergey, I just updated the thread.
See you there! T
Looks like another very scenic and exciting training course...with exactly the same distance this should be a perfect rehearsal for Hotaka! This weekend though, I won't be able to join as I will be riding in Shiobara together with Michael (m o b) participating in the eight race of the JCRC 2008 series. Looking forward to H T 6 !
TOM, sorry you can't make it! I hope you & Michael (mob) have a great ride in Shiobara (don't forget your "winter gear"!).
Rubber Down! T

Count me in

and also call me at 22:00 on Friday night to remind me to leave the pub immediately and return to base......many thanks

chazzer

Looks like a really nice ride Travis. I am a definite maybe for this one. :) Will let you know for sure later in the week. Thanks as always for organizing these rides. Not sure about pizza and beer in the middle of the ride though. Any chance of doing it at the end? That sansai soba and beer at Okutama nearly killed me mate:confused:
Seriously though, don't you think it would be better training to try and do it with the least number of breaks as possible?

Pizza & Beer???

Looks like a really nice ride Travis. I am a definite maybe for this one. :) Will let you know for sure later in the week. Thanks as always for organizing these rides. Not sure about pizza and beer in the middle of the ride though. Any chance of doing it at the end? That sansai soba and beer at Okutama nearly killed me mate:confused:
Seriously though, don't you think it would be better training to try and do it with the least number of breaks as possible?

If you look at the map again, you'll see that the pizza place is at around the 90km-mark - after all the climbing is done. And then we just have a 30km downhill to Odawara from there (a few "little UP"s on the way, but mostly down)!
We WILL however, try to do those first 90km with as few breaks as possible.
T

epilogue

Hi Travis. I'd be happy to accompany you from Odawara back to Yokohama again after the ride's finished. It was so scenic, you'll remember?

Seriously, I've been lurking for a few days. Just re-surfacing after the arrival of our daughter Ashling Natsumi. Looks like some great cycling you guys have been doing and Hotaka looks awesome. I, on the other hand, do not, and am in no shape to join you guys. I will just lurk and pine...

Have been limited to urban courses just to try to keep the legs (barely) turning over on the weekends.

Have a couple of slices of pizza for me. Mike, you won't want to miss them!

T, If I do come I won't stop for the beer and pizza, I'll just keep going. With Hotaka just around the corner I wanna get in as much non-stop training as possible. Anyway, I thought this was training ride, not a fun ride. Don't get me wrong, I'm a social bloke and enjoy a beer as much as anyone, but this is supposed to be training for the BIG RACE, isn't it? I'm sure they aren't going to be serving beer and pizza at the rest stops in Hotaka :confused:

Am I the only person thinking this? If someone wants to join me on the non pizza and beer ride I would love the company. I am a social bloke, honestly...

Pizza and Beer

There is a very good bakery in the Odawara Station called Hakone Bakery. They also have a brick oven where they bake delicious looking pizza which can be consumed AFTER the ride.

Have always wanted to try their Pizza. I assume they have suds to wash it down with. Perhaps this meets everyone's needs?

Am I the only person thinking this? If someone wants to join me on the non pizza and beer ride I would love the company. I am a social bloke, honestly...

The pizza place will certainly be the highlight of the day, Mike. If you ride out to Odawara like I will do then you'll hit it around the 170km-mark. That deserves a little break before embarking on the last 90km home, doesn't it?! :D

No pizza.... and NO BEER!?!?!? :beer2:
It's not a training ride, then - just a 120 km "commute" :D

(I'm not going to race in Hotaka though)

Cripes !

Looks like the games up for me then....I have always avoided mid-ride beer (but not pizza) and still struggled to keep up. Shall we run a two-speed HT5 -one for old farts, beer monsters and other old lags and one for the non-stop speed merchants ?

It might work better ? If so then I volunteer for the former ?

What do you think ?

(Or shall I go and wheeze up Kazahari rindo on my own again :D:D)

chazzer

Ffs!

No pizza.... and NO BEER!?!?!? :beer2:
It's not a training ride, then - just a 120 km "commute" :D
(I'm not going to race in Hotaka though)

How many times does it need to be said?
The P & B is NOT "mid-ride"! It's at the 90km mark, just before the last 30km downhill! Will everyone stop focusing on the food & drinks, and start focusing on the 90km of hills before that, please!

I've already PM-ed Mike to say the same thing; The hard-core training rides will start about 2-3 weeks before the race! These ones are just to "build up the chops a bit", so to speak.

ie. We will all want to "peak" at race time - There's no point in peaking 4 weeks early, and then loosing it all! Slow & steady goes the training, fast & hard goes the race (just made that up, but it makes sense).

T

Thanks for the PM Travis. I didn't mean to cause you so much trouble, but please understand if I keep on going and skip the pizza joint. Right now I wanna ride hard and as fast as I can over that 120km distance. How about Pucci's idea? That sounds like a decent place and at least the the ride will be finished and I'll be happy to pound a few beers. Are you all planning on riding home, or taking the train?

Thomas, I don't think my body could cope with such a monster ride. You're a machine my friend:eek:

This seems like a really great ride. Thanks for the map Travis. Unfortunately I will have the pleasures of work on saturday:hammer: So on sunday I will be following in your foot steps (or wheels).

Just a quick question. Is the ride back to Yokohama pretty straight forward or is it better to catch the train in Atami? Alternatively, none of the above, and catch the train back from Odawara. Maybe, the later is the best then I can leave my bag in the station lockers.

Thanks for any advise:)

So if we put them all together, the ride we have is exactly 120km, and takes in some great climbs (as well as downhills) - "m o b" mentioned Rte.20 as being "one of the best decisions he's ever made", and we will surely take that same road.... twice; once DOWN, and once UP!

I desperately hope that you like one of my best decisions ever. It is one thing to write something on a blog and another to see then somebody reacting to this. So please let me know.

Saturday...

Thanks for the PM Travis. I didn't mean to cause you so much trouble, but please understand if I keep on going and skip the pizza joint. Right now I wanna ride hard and as fast as I can over that 120km distance. How about Pucci's idea? That sounds like a decent place and at least the the ride will be finished and I'll be happy to pound a few beers. Are you all planning on riding home, or taking the train?
Thomas, I don't think my body could cope with such a monster ride. You're a machine my friend:eek:

Cheers Mike,
It's no trouble really. All of the climbing will be done at the 90k mark, and I just thought we could all enjoy the food together.
If you & Aaron want to head down to Odawara without stopping, that's no problem either. All I was asking is that you just see how you feel at the time.
Anyway, see you at Odawara at about 9:30, eh! T

>Pucci: From memory, the bakeries don't open until 10am (they should still be open by the time you & Mike get back though).

>m o b: We've ridden up Rte.20 before, and I remember it being about 2-3% uphill from "Jukoku-toge". But I always thought it would be a most excellent road to ride down on. Will be thinking of you & TOM in Shiobara. Have a nice race! T

Rubber Down! Travis

Back
Top Bottom