What's new

Ride Gunma

djentleman

Maximum Pace
Mar 6, 2021
Next week I'm planning on doing a few days touring in Gunma using Takasaki as a base - My main 'goals' will be Akagi-san and Haruna-san.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any other spots that are worth going to?

Cheers

Rt 122 from Kiryu up to Nikko is a ride that has a lot of climbing.You can turn around at the tunnel if Nikko isn't your thing. GS Astuto has a cycling base up in Kiryu too so maybe reach out to Tim for ideas.

Just had a look at Route 122 - looks pretty nice. Nikko is definitely on my list of places to go so it works out pretty nicely. Speaking of Nikko and climbing, do you know if irohazaka is doable on a bike?

Thanks for the link! I'll ask if he knows any good climbs

@Half-Fast Mike did it last year and is usually a good first resource for any silly ideas you may have.

Had. Another casualty of Covid-19. But plans are afoot for something new in Gunma soon.
Bugger, nice part of the world up there, almost feels like Tohoku. Hope it pans out. Have you been vacinated yet through work? My mate woring on base has been vacinated for 3 months but the rest of his family living off base afe like the rest of Japan, high and dry.

@Half-Fast Mike That irohazaka ride looks amazing - I will definitely spend a few days up there in Autumn

There are many roads up and down. The majority are in various states of disrepair (which makes it more fun, for me). But the main roads are fine.
Good to know - i was thinking something like this: https://www.komoot.com/tour/301852447
I'm generally not too fussed about stuff like debris on the road but worst case I'll just take the main roads

Looking at google maps I think you are right - good spot. There seems to be a hiking path or something that komoot thinks is passable on a gravel bike. I guess I will check it out on the day - how the was road once you got off the main road? was it paved or more like a hiking path?

how the was road once you got off the main road? was it paved or more like a hiking path?
That one was nicely paved. Zero cars thanks to the barriers at either end. One point, at a climb after the bridge over the river, featured a small landslide. (Hence the barriers.)

The rindō you're planning to go up is more challenging for a couple of km. I can't imagine they'll bother repairing it until it's needed as a diversion for major works on the main road, and there have been major storms since I rode there so it might be worse now. I got down it no problem on CX bike. Friend on road bike had to be more cautious.

20190804-140854-kiryu-akagi.jpeg

20190804-140812-kiryu-akagi.jpeg

That one was nicely paved. Zero cars thanks to the barriers at either end. One point, at a climb after the bridge over the river, featured a small landslide. (Hence the barriers.)

The rindō you're planning to go up is more challenging for a couple of km. I can't imagine they'll bother repairing it until it's needed as a diversion for major works on the main road, and there have been major storms since I rode there so it might be worse now. I got down it no problem on CX bike. Friend on road bike had to be more cautious.

View attachment 30128

View attachment 30129
Thanks for the info
Hmm, If it's been like that for 2+ years I wonder if it's worth changing the route to use the main road instead

Back
Top Bottom