What's new

Gunma, Shimonita ideas?

andywood

Maximum Pace
Apr 8, 2008
I'll be visiting Shinomita, Gunma prefecture from Friday til Sunday.

The main focus will be the safari park and other attractions for the kids, but I hope to get in some early morning rides of 2~3 hours. R45 and R46 look interesting passes on the map. As do R93 and R124 crossing over into Nagano prefecture. A few nice looking rindos too but I'm sure they'll still be closed.

Any ideas? Recommendations? I'm looking for a bit of climbing and of course some nice scenery.

Any advice much appreciated!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

October last year I went to Ueno mura via Shimonita by car to join a hillclimb race. As you can see on google map, R45 has a 3km long tunnel that is not very suitable for cycling, but the old route that goes around (and above) the tunnel was really beautiful. No wide open view or anything, but rather deep forest kind of beauty.
I'm not sure about the road condition - ice or debris - at this time of the year though.

Eugen

Thanks for the ideas.

Eugen, we're not actually as close to R45 as I initially thought.

Tom, I didn't realize it but we are actually staying right at the foot of the Miyogi rock formations at Miyogi country golf club. The view is spectacular.

Also I didn't realize how close we are to Karuizawa. The last leg of your trip up to the onsen is where Ludwig sent me last autumn when riding out of Karuizawa:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2011/10/karuizawa-training-camp-day-2.html

In the morning I'm thinking of going over the rock the same way you did it. Then pick up the old R18, then up over R92 and back down R43 (which I came up the other way on my first day in Karuizawa last autumn).

Anyway guys, thanks again! Hopefully I can post some nice pictures on the blog...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Those photo's are beautiful on Tom's blog. Andy look forward to reading and seeing the pics from your adventures there. Just wondering if some of those passes will be snowed in or not?

Back
Top Bottom