What's new

Gunma CSC race tips

ProRaceMechanic

Maximum Pace
Dec 31, 2009
I wanted to see if anyone has any tips on racing at Gunma CSC.
I have heard it is hard, Lumpy and hard. Sounds like a great time. But if anyone has any info such as lap times, climb lengths and grades, windy sections, shower for after, parking tips, where to attack, anything you can muster will be appreciated!

Thank You
Chuck

I wanted to see if anyone has any tips on racing at Gunma CSC.
I have heard it is hard, Lumpy and hard. Sounds like a great time. But if anyone has any info such as lap times, climb lengths and grades, windy sections, shower for after, parking tips, where to attack, anything you can muster will be appreciated!

Thank You
Chuck

Hey Chuck, this will be my first JCF race and I too would appreciate any course info. I'll be C class, how about you?

Hey Chuck,

Maybe I'll finally get to meet you at last!

It's a fast course, as you might expect from one designed for cycling, so you might expect speeds of 35 kmph plus.

As for the course:

There is a long downhill with a couple of bends at the bottom. If you take a good line and keep your inside pedal up it's nothing to worry about but just keep an eye on riders around you. Any crashes are likely to occur on the first or second lap.

After that it's rolling and you should be able to keep it in the big ring. There's one steep climb with a hairpin. I drop into the small ring here but some go all the way in the big ring. Again, keep an eye on others here and don't get pushed off the road.

You asked about wind. Although on the side of a hill, I've never noticed the wind really. Consider the weather though and be prepared for rain.

Parking - you can park right next to the course or in the overfill carpark. There's a shuttle bus for family and friends and you can ride your bike from there.

Warm up - the road up to the course is a steep climb from both sides so good for warming up.

Shower - good onsen options nearby.

Where to attack - most look at that steep hairpin, so I'd recommend one of the ramps further back. You can ride the course beforehand (depending on the schedule of other races) which is definitely a good idea.

Here are my blog posts of my last two rides there:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2011/10/gunma-csc-road-race-report.html

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2010/10/jcrc-stage-9-gunma-csc.html

Looking forward to meeting you!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I will be racing on April 22nd at the JBCF sanctioned race in E3. Is this the race you guys are entering?

Thanks for the tips Andy!

Great write up, on the edge of my seat!

So was I!

Unfortunately I'm going to the JCRC one next weekend. The following weekend of the JBCF race, I'll go to Kusatsu.

With JBCF, there'll be more riders and consequently it will be faster. Position is really important. Warm up early and get a good spot on the start line. It will be neutralized for the first downhill but there'll still be lots of pushing snd shoving. Try and keep as close to the front as you can. Once the car signals it's race time, there'll be a big surge...

Why can't people just take it easy!?

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Back
Top Bottom