What's new

Wiki Guide to Getting a Bike in Japan - Advice

Joe McCarthy

Maximum Pace
Feb 1, 2018
I recently finished and published a 3 part guide on getting a bike in Japan.

https://simplemechanicalobjects.wordpress.com/2018/05/15/a-guide-to-getting-a-bike-in-japan/
https://simplemechanicalobjects.wordpress.com/2018/05/15/should-i-bring-my-bike-to-japan/
https://simplemechanicalobjects.wordpress.com/2018/05/15/buying-a-used-bike-in-japan/

It covers transporting bikes from foreign countries, buying new bikes in Japan and has a large section on buying used bikes in Japan. It occured to me that there might be some useful information in it to go on the TCC Wiki, but I'm not sure how best to modify it. I was thinking I could write a concise version with just the core details and include a link to the original article for more detailed information.

Any thoughts on what you think would be the best way to integrate this information with the wiki?

I like the idea of a concise version with links to your article. The wiki is a resource for information but links to outside sources are the norm.

Just started reading your blog, I guess that is what it is called. Very interesting about that hand piano. Think I'll try to buy one.

Yeah, really sounds like you enjoy riding the bike. Not sure about Tokyo, but if you ever get down to Yamaguchi, let me know. I'll be getting my bike in June, just waiting for my June nenkin payment since I 'm going to see spending 60000 yen for a bike.
By the way, is there a way I can buy Touring Mapple maps for Kyushu and Yamaguchi at a discount?

is there a way I can buy Touring Mapple maps for Kyushu and Yamaguchi at a discount?
Probably, but I've always just bought them as and when at book stores. I have the Kanto one and the Hokkaido one and I'm leaving Japan soon if you want them, but I don't have Kyushu or Yamaguchi

Probably, but I've always just bought them as and when at book stores. I have the Kanto one and the Hokkaido one and I'm leaving Japan soon if you want them, but I don't have Kyushu or Yamaguchi

Hi Joe
Appreciate the offer, but I don't think I'll be cycling in the Kanto or Hokkaido area. Most likely just stick down south here. But again thank you for the offer.

I think I got it from Japanese Amazon. It was quite an expensive one though, but they range in price quite a bit. Think I paid about 20000円

OK, thanks, but do you mean 2000 yen?

I follow Yahoo Auctions a lot. It varies model to model, but for a standard roadbike with rim brakes, about 35-40% of Japanese retail is ballpark for a nearly new bike, of which there are many. For beginners, there's little to no difference second hand between Claris, Sora, and Tiagra. New Tiagra with the cable routing is pretty nice. The jump to 105 isn't very much, maybe 20,000 to 30,000 yen for old 105. 100,000 and some keen spotting, maybe an unpopular 56 or larger size, can get you Ultegra/Force 22.

Disc brakes are still a novelty you have to pay more for. They hold their value better. I'd like a hydro disc bike for bad weather, but think I'll have to wait two or three years before they get down to my budget. Gravel/cyclocross aren't big in Japan, so the best way to get cheap hydros is an Apex bike new from overseas.

Shipping from someone clued up should be 7000 yen or less. Uncooperative sellers will send the bike using the oversized Yamato service intended for furniture. This can cost over 20,000 yen. The shipping is 7000 regardless of how good the bike is, so you might as well buy a good one.

Back
Top Bottom