What's new

GS Astuto 50mm Standard Clinchers

Sorry to rain on everyone's parade, but the wife and I have an understanding: when either or us wants or needs something, we buy it. No need to justify anything. We're both pretty frugal, and after 24 years, I guess we rely on that.

I have a bike or two (and even more guitars), she has a couple shamisen and a few great-looking kimono.

Etc.

:D lots of funny replies. I have to be extra nice to my wife right now. She is carrying our first child :) Shes alright with it.

Jon

:D lots of funny replies. I have to be extra nice to my wife right now. She is carrying our first child :) Shes alright with it.

Jon

Then you have the perfect answer...
Your wheels will cost nothing compared to the child! :D

this is the truth:D and congratulations, how many weeks left till your life perspective totally changes?

Yeah, it changes. Solely riding on the balcony these days... not bought any bike gear for ages; looking increasingly at hifi equipment as an alternative outlet. Difficult though, this stuff can't be hidden like a new wheel or set of brake calipers.

Enjoy the freedom.

Jon

In a few years you'll buy silkishuge jr. his/her first bicycle and again a few years later you'll be going on long afternoon rides and before you know it, you'll have trouble keeping up with that teenage road racer! (speaking from experience ;), mine turned 18 recently)

this is the truth:D and congratulations, how many weeks left till your life perspective totally changes?

17weeks now so almost half way there. I am definitely looking forward to the change. As stated, his/her first bike. Can't wait for that day. My wife might not approve if it is a girl on the bike though. She doesn't approve of women with big thighs and calves.

Jon

My wife might not approve if it is a girl on the bike though. She doesn't approve of women with big thighs and calves.

Jon
well another 2 weeks or so and you'll be able to tell boy or girl, my daughter started riding the two wheeler at four and it doesn't stop her being a rythmic gymnist, or playing the piano.

Hmm, maybe I should throw in a 'goodie bag' for the significant other. Onsen salts, chocolate or fan jersey.

Hmm, maybe I should throw in a 'goodie bag' for the significant other. Onsen salts, chocolate or fan jersey.

Thats really kind of you Tim. Fan Jersey would be nice. I doubt any of the other stuff would get through customs.

Yup, we wll know the sex in about 2 weeks at the next ultrasound. I will be happy with a girl or boy. Either way, I will encourage bike riding as a mode of transport.

Jon

17weeks now so almost half way there. I am definitely looking forward to the change. As stated, his/her first bike. Can't wait for that day. My wife might not approve if it is a girl on the bike though. She doesn't approve of women with big thighs and calves.

Jon

Start talking about buying a pocket bike (Kids motorbike) for your kid and suddenly your wife will love the idea of bicycles.

Which means in about 4 yrs you can buy a full size bike for yourself!:p

You're right, but looking at the cost of university for my 18 year old, the "full size bike" may turn out to be a used mamachari :p

haha, wheels have finally arrived and they are beautiful. Weighing a total of 1490g. Front wheel weighed 660g and the rear was 830g.
I struggle for about 45 mins trying to get the tyres in but finally did without piching the tubes. I developed 3 blisters during the process but after looking at the wheels on the bike, it was all worth it.
Tomorrow will be my first time on the wheels on a fairly hilly but fast course. Hopefully, I won't get a flat. Really looking forward to the test ride. :)

Jon

Haha! I hope the blisters were on your fingers and not the tubes! I usually use a tire cream on the beads and also make sure the tires are warmed up before mounting them the first time. Some tires can really be hard to get over the rim edge. Using a VAR tool helps alot -

http://randonneurextra.blogspot.com/2009/02/making-life-easier-var-tire-lever.html

These are not sold in Japan, nor ever have as far as I know. Yet - it's the best tire mounting lever in the world.

haha, wheels have finally arrived and they are beautiful. Weighing a total of 1490g. Front wheel weighed 660g and the rear was 830g.
I struggle for about 45 mins trying to get the tyres in but finally did without piching the tubes. I developed 3 blisters during the process but after looking at the wheels on the bike, it was all worth it.
Tomorrow will be my first time on the wheels on a fairly hilly but fast course. Hopefully, I won't get a flat. Really looking forward to the test ride. :)

Jon

Jon

What tyres?

Thanks for the help info TIm. I don't think the tool would help me much. I did not read the article yet but it looks like I would have to stretch the tyre over the rim.

What tyres?

The tyres are Kyrlions. I would hate to try use GP4000s if I struggled this much with the Kyrlions. Usuallly they fit on quite easily.

Anyway, all set for tomorrow. It will probably be the only dry day this week. The summer in Sydney has been very very strange. Rain, flood and more rain and more floods.

The Mrs and I were planning our next trip to Japan. This time, I will have about 10 days to myself riding here and there and everywhere.

Jon

I haven't used those, yet. I've been very happy with the Vittoria's - and in fact, the rim section is built to Vittoria's spec. But mainly, some of the kevlar bead tires can be really hard to get mounted. That's where the VAR tool (or blisters) come in. Again, if you warm up the tires it helps a fair amount. And use some tire bead cream or even a little bar soap. Lastly , please use thinnest tube you can - vittoria or michelin latex is the best. With the hard plastic rim strip. Carbon rims have less tube volume than alloy - so - getting more air into the chamber is a plus in terms of riding. And lessening the compliance losses between tire and rim.

Back
Top Bottom