What's new

Help group set deals

patrick.yodar

Speeding Up
Jun 9, 2011
So I'm thinking about making 2013 the year of gears. I found a frame/fork combo that I like but I'm holding off on buying it until I can find a good deal on a group set. I was all ready to buy the ultegra set that Tom had posted on Facebook a little while ago but I was to slow and missed out on that one.

Has anyone heard of or seen a good deal on a higher-end group set lately? I'm thinking SRAM red, super record, or DA. I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest but I know I don't want something entry level or midrange that I'll need to upgrade later. I'd be fine with used.

If anyone has seen something good lately I'd really appreciate a heads up. Thanks!

I knew that set on the classifieds was a great deal but I now know how great.

Net Bicycle is pretty cheap.I can speak from direct experience that they are selling for less than 10% markup over 'assembler' price. Obviously they are black listed from domestic Shimano purchases - but there is still alot of hardware available through the greymarket.

Just bear in mind, Shimano Japan will not warranty (easily) this stuff. They know where it comes from . With that being said - Shimano stuff is pretty good as long as it doesn't suffer from infant mortality.

I'd be looking at the SRAM RED myself. I tested the 9000 and while it was definitely a step up from the DA, it still suffers from the widest swing in the west to get a shift in - in spite of what they tout. Campy SR and SRAM still crush Shimano when it comes to quick, short swings, the ratio is shorter and they still manage to get the movement without a gorilla arm to do it. DA Crankset is to die for, though - finally a decent 36 /52 'native' crankset! Why I love this?? In the late 80's Campy came out with special SR Triple that ran a 36 / 42 / 52. And then with a 6speed cassette typically 14 -26 or so, it was an Alpine Monster! Now, with 11sp - we can drop the 42 and keep the golden 36 and 52! Yey! And ---- run a 12-28 with reasonable ratios!

While I still drool over a real Campy SR Triple (with Ti BB) , I'd ride the 36 /52 DA 9000 in a heartbeat .

FYI - I cobbled together this setup with my HR bike using Shimano CX-70 and FSA Rings plus a mashup Ultegra / DA cassette. It's still my favorite rig for all-around riding with hills more or less in the forefront.

Just bear in mind, Shimano Japan will not warranty (easily) this stuff. They know where it comes from . With that being said - Shimano stuff is pretty good as long as it doesn't suffer from infant mortality.

Sorry but Shimano will uphold the warranty where every you get it from and for what ever price. They are legally obliged to do so regardless and I had no issue getting a replacement part that was originaly sourced from a Taiwanese company here in Japan

Actually Shimano Japan's terms are very clear (and globally as well).

1) Return the defect part to the authorised dealer.
2) Upon the dealer's request to Shimano the part may be repaired or replaced.
3) You may contact Shimano directly, however they will refer to you the dealer whom you purchased the component. Or they may try to resolve it directly, but generally they'll refer you to the dealer.

Third party (grey market) components are inherently absent from dealer intervention as they were (are) intended for installation within the context of an assembled product, yet , sold outside that channel. Alot of prdt sold at big discount is through this channel. YMMV, Shimano is not anyway liable or responsible to warranty any claims based on these products. They have the serials, they know.

Sorry but Shimano will uphold the warranty where every you get it from and for what ever price. They are legally obliged to do so regardless and I had no issue getting a replacement part that was originaly sourced from a Taiwanese company here in Japan

I am also kicking myself over missing the Ultegra boat that Tom had on offer. What a deal! The crank was short for my liking but even with a new crank I still would have came out on top. Shoulda woulda coulda. Tom gets Good Bike Karma (GBK) for that, no doubt.

Actually Shimano Japan's terms are very clear (and globally as well).

1) Return the defect part to the authorised dealer.
2) Upon the dealer's request to Shimano the part may be repaired or replaced.
3) You may contact Shimano directly, however they will refer to you the dealer whom you purchased the component. Or they may try to resolve it directly, but generally they'll refer you to the dealer.

That makes perfect sense because when you buy from a dealer, the legal contract is between you (the end user) and the dealer, not the dealer's supplier.

If a dealer buys OEM parts from a factory in China that were meant to be bolted onto bicycles made at that factory, the dealer can turn to that supplier for warranty claims, but not to Shimano, with whom he doesn't have a contract.

So what do you guys think of buying stuff from eBay? Some sellers say they sell new products with a full warranty, and that is why they sell above some other's prices.

Based on an insider tip I went by the Y's shinjuku custom shop today. They had some pretty good discounts on some older campi cranks but other parts seemed to be at regular prices. That is unless I missed something...

If anyone is looking for a super record crank it might be worth a trip to the Y's custom shop to see what they've got.

So what do you guys think of buying stuff from eBay? Some sellers say they sell new products with a full warranty, and that is why they sell above some other's prices.

Buy now I would not recommend, as it is rarely a better price than the cheapest proper retailer. I only use it for items that otherwise don't ship to Japan.

Auctions you can get good deals mostly on used items or parts taken of a new bike, but you have to be patient and accept the risks. Common parts come by a lot, but because they are sought after buyers know the prices and it is hard to get big savings. Usually I set a limit in advance and don't get emotional about it.

Buy now I would not recommend, as it is rarely a better price than the cheapest proper retailer. I only use it for items that otherwise don't ship to Japan.

Auctions you can get good deals mostly on used items or parts taken of a new bike, but you have to be patient and accept the risks. Common parts come by a lot, but because they are sought after buyers know the prices and it is hard to get big savings. Usually I set a limit in advance and don't get emotional about it.

I agree that the prices are not that great on the stuff that can be found in stores; your making a great point about not getting carried away on an auction, so I just put a price I'm comfortable paying and then walk away.

Right and as this topic was about groupsets, I think it's hard to get a great deal on ebay, but if you buy piecemeal over longer time you can save some money. My bike is a mix of 105, ultegra and dura mostly from eBay, but it took me 6month to get everything.

I am also kicking myself over missing the Ultegra boat that Tom had on offer. What a deal! The crank was short for my liking but even with a new crank I still would have came out on top. Shoulda woulda coulda. Tom gets Good Bike Karma (GBK) for that, no doubt.

Well thank you...GBK always comes in handy :angel:! The guy who got my upgraded and fine-tuned FP2 for only 10-man look real happy; so did the one who got the full groupset (complete with ceramic BB and near-new Dura-Ace 7900 brakes) for only 2.5-man. That was some sacrifice sale!

Regularly check out the classifieds folks!

as an update for other who are looking at getting a new group set, I've started ordering parts online. I really wish i could have found some decent prices locally (and maybe could have had i been more patient) but I'm ordering mainly from Chain Reaction Cycles and Wiggle. My goal was to get a full set of top-end parts for under 10万円. I think I might end up going a little over my target, but I was able to find some pretty OK discounts on SRAM red parts.\

I'm now trying to decide whether to finish my parts order on wiggle with the 12% off they're offering now or wait a few days to see if a better year end sale comes along...

Well,personally it's like the $5 rock deal. once you are hooked in, you can't stop. Regardless the dealer , they'll all get your $$ one way or the other! Considering the lifespan of most of the top end gear and it's about the same as crack. 3 hs itits and your scraping resin off the glass. Why? cause the best is the lightest - and lightest means it lasts about 3 hits and that it! Now back step a few and you might step into a bit more beef. Then you get the lifespan AND the performance - but penalty is the weight. It's like comparing the space shuttle to a DC3. How many 'tiles' do you need to replace on a DC3?? Hell, I've seen them clip telephone poles , rip off at least 1m of the wingtip and still make the trip to Alaska from Seattle.

I really wish i could have found some decent prices locally (and maybe could have had i been more patient) but I'm ordering mainly from Chain Reaction Cycles and Wiggle.

All is fair in love and war; when the local bike shops go out of business, the staff will easily be able to get jobs as postmen, what with all the extra packages coming from abroad.

Back
Top Bottom